How to store Distilled Water

0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
This is a silly question I know, but I have had the same gallon of distilled water since the day I bought my Humidifier. I would always pour the water into a measuring cup, dip my bids in, and then pour the water back into the jug for later use. The water is about three weeks to a month old now.

I went to open the jug today and decided to smell the water just to make sure it didn't have a scent and sure enough it was starting to smell a bit foul. I'm guessing mold was beginning to grow because I had had it sitting at room temp in the corner of a room which does get some sunlight throughout the day which I know are perfect ingredients for mold but sometimes I'm just slow.

Do you all ever reuse your water or do you always use fresh water one time and then dispose it? Also do you store it in the refrigerator where it's dark and cool to prevent mold? Again I feel dumb for asking but hopefully there's someone else out there that can gain from this. --- Thanks

Comments

  • hawaiianbasshawaiianbass Posts: 123
    I never reuse water. I'm not sure if mold can grow in distilled water (somebody correct me please) but the smell could from the fact that your reusing the water. I store my distilled water in the cabinet underneath my humis. Again, I'm not sure about the mold.

    CK
  • kent1146kent1146 Posts: 86
    The main problem is that you are pouring the unused water back into the jug.  The water picks up all sorts of impurities from the measuring cup, as well as the outside of the container (bag, jar, etc) that holds the beads.  This exposes the distilled water to contaminants like bacteria, mold, or other micro-organisms (amoeba?  Eeew!).

    So, get rid of that distilled water, and get yourself a new jug of clean water.  I'd also recommend that you get yourself an empty clean spray bottle (about $1 from Walmart or Target), and just spray water onto your beads when they need recharging.  It will save you a ton of headache.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,152
    kent1146:
    The main problem is that you are pouring the unused water back into the jug.  The water picks up all sorts of impurities from the measuring cup, as well as the outside of the container (bag, jar, etc) that holds the beads.  This exposes the distilled water to contaminants like bacteria, mold, or other micro-organisms (amoeba?  Eeew!).

    So, get rid of that distilled water, and get yourself a new jug of clean water.  I'd also recommend that you get yourself an empty clean spray bottle (about $1 from Walmart or Target), and just spray water onto your beads when they need recharging.  It will save you a ton of headache.
    Agreed.
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    Just a thought, but by reusing his water, I don't think he meant literally pouring the excess back in. I bet he just meant that he has a jug and he doesn't throw it away every month. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I read it.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,561
    I pay .69 cents for a gallon. I pay a lot more for my cigars/humidification, etc. Toss it out, get some more.
  • 0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
    I did! Thank guys. And this time I put it in a spray bottle as well.
  • SlickRSSlickRS Posts: 44
    I keep my distilled water jug under my sink in my bathroom. Out of the sun light. After recharging my humi device I discard the water. I never reuse.
Sign In or Register to comment.