Home General Discussion

Rainy day discussion - Cuban Brands

bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
So let's say it has passed that the cuban embargo will end on July xx, 2012 or any other random date. I see quite a few discussions on how that would affect the quality being produced from Cuba, but what would happen between Habanos SA and non-cuban companies who currently own the name of brands being produced in Cuba, IE Hdm, RyJ, etc?

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I haven't thought about this too much. I know cohiba would have problems but as far as I know ryj punch etc. would stay the same. As for makers such as rp,AB and etc...I think they would take a massive hit!! Since Cubans are around the same price. That being said I think most cigar smokers are not well informed about isom's and will judge the stick rott keeping other makers in buiseness. The guys on forums well we are the geeks of the cigar world. If you talk to most normal smokers they don't know half of what we do. Some don't even own a humidor and never will. Even the concept of letting cigars rest blows them away and doesn't make any sense to them. As for quality...well Cubans they say make up for 80% of what the rest if the world buys. So I can't see major issues besides the price tag hiking. But even if isom's become legal ill still be a huge fan and buyer of what I buy now!! Ill just have to make a lot more room for more variety lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting question, should've asked rip to find out lol. I wonder if there was any provision in ther pruchase of the namesakes?
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Btw...I'm preparing for the lift now lol. I'll buy up enough to last a while. I'm at the point I know what I like, so I know what to age. Once that's full, I'll keep purchasing 5-10 of the nc/DC I love.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I didn't think about asking rip, but he may still have some insight. Just to clarify, I'm mainly interested in what will happen to the brands themselves, not quality or sales. If the embargo were lifted you would have a lot of trademarked names (Romeo y Julieta, San Cristobal, Cohiba) that are used by two different companies.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Just a little insight...
    I am Canadian and I purchase Cuban and non-Cuban, and I've often had the same brand name but from 2 different countries. I don't think anything at all will happen with the name, because most countries can purchase all of these sticks, not matter the name/brand/country already. You would just be adding the U.S. to the mix.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    I did discuss this issue with one of the Director of Casa del Habano and some European cigar marchants, marketers and gathered some information. I attended the Partagas Cigar factory Festival 2012 and met many cigar smokers, traders and distributors from all over the world. I got some logical and sentimental feeling about it. I have some notes in this matter. CDH has already taken few steps. I will write a post about it. In a nutshell, there will be a long legal battle about the trademark issue. 49% CDH is also owned by the European so there will be plenty of advise by the western trademark lawyers and Cuba will not fight it all alone against the US brands. In fact, couple of trademark cases are in the US courts against General cigar(it registered Cohiba in 1978 in the U.S.), against Tatuaje, a Tampa based cigar company Havana International and others. The problem right now is, how Cuba can justify a U.S. trademark brand when they can not even sell Cuban cigars in the U.S.? However, the ballgame will change completely once the embargo is lifted. I have some good information about it...stay tuned.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Thanks Rip, you're a gentleman and a scholar!