Home Ratings & Reviews

Fonseca Cubano Limitado Toro

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
I completely lost track how this stick wound up in my box. It arrived with a crumpled cellophane sleeve, as though the previous owner removed the cello, wadded it up, then changed his mind, unfolded the wad, and re-inserted the cigar.

Isn't she a beauty? Mottled and dark dark red like cocobolo rosewood. And like cocobolo, she had that super slick oily feel to her. Loads of oily sheen. The contrast of the small classic black and gold band made for an understated elegance. Felt solid everywhere except the foot. Good weight to it. No odor, neither wrapper nor foot, and no flavor; either; just a soapy slick feel in the mouth. Medium veins in a tight wrapper. They call this a toro, but it's a 50 gauge, so a robusto one inch longer. Very nice. Uncaps neatly. Draw tastes like wood with some distant aromatic spice.

We had the hearth going, so I toasted the foot in the fire, then just touched the end with a match. Lit all wood; but settled in almost immediately with smooth wood, cedar, and cardamom. The smoke was thick and oily and it felt cool. Usually, our hearth draws the smoke out and up; but this smoke tended to hang in front of my face and eventually fill the room. Didn't want to suck up the flue. Heavy smoke, too cool to rise. Like smoke from the old smudge pots they used to light on frosty nights to shroud citrus groves. Oily in the mouth, with cedar in the retro. Although I found the retro enjoyable, I had to be careful not to inhale the cloud of smoke that hung in front of me, because that was irritatingly dry. This smoke smelled aromatic to me; but Bearswatter complained over and again. She has had long practice. The burn was perfect and slow. The ash fell short. It burnt an hour forty minutes. Tremendous flavor without a load of strength. The cardamom lends just the right spice.

I got a pleasant stinkfinger; but my morning mouth was plupotent. So overly strong, in fact, that I stank up the whole bedroom and wasted morning wood. I even got thick phlegm. Nice cardamom lingers in the back of my throat. Fabulous with espresso latte.

I rate at four stars. Would be more if not for the morning issues. I'd buy more in a heartbeat.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool review, it wasn't in a wrapper and one was probably grabbed from stash to protect from shipping, and from humi pack leakage.......
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Hahahaaaa I was the previous owner...sorry about the cello lol. They came really wet so I had to take it off to aclimate it faster. I usually lose track of my cellos lol
    Money can't buy taste
    MVW67:
    Cool review, it wasn't in a wrapper and one was probably grabbed from stash to protect from shipping, and from humi pack leakage.......
    Completely correct!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    MVW67:
    Completely correct!!
    always saving and telling friends to save em, just look a mess sometimes, but would rather protect then not!:-) :-)
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
    MVW67:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    MVW67:
    Completely correct!!
    always saving and telling friends to save em, just look a mess sometimes, but would rather protect then not!:-) :-)
    Lol yup I throw them in a box...it can take a while to find one that fits lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AHA! The nasty culprit rears its ugly head.

I tell you, this thing, I can still taste it The flavor soaks in and stays.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Lol yeah but it's a nice subtle sweet flavor...I got mostly wood and raisins with slight earth. It's pretty good for a fonseca blend and I thought it wasn't more then a med body so figured you'd like it
    Money can't buy taste