Options

blending 101

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    a question of body came up in THIS THREAD
    i figured that it would be a good addition to the "blending 101" thread:

Husker44:
    What makes the difference in body? The type of leaf? The age? The length of filler? Im just trying to understand a bit as to how to know by description what is mild/med, med/full and full
    besides that most cigar descriptions will tell you if it is full mild or medium there are a few other ways of telling.

all of the factors you listed play a roll except for length of filler. (as far as i know)

lets see how short i can keep this...

from the beginning...
    every strain of tobacco has a different strength to it. the tobacco that is used in pipes is different than the tobacco used in cigarettes is different than the tobacco used in cigars.
    the first way of having a more or less mild cigar is to use a strain of tobacco that is more mild or more full.
    Most cigar tobacco has been derived from cuban tobacco at some point or another. from there its been selected from one generation to the next to embody one trait or another. For instance, Connecticut Broadleaf is much more mild the classic Corojo.

the second way to change the strength of the tobacco is by growing it in different ways. Shade grown tobacco has a smoother/milder quality to it because the sun is partially blocked, so the leaves cannot produce as many nutrients. conversely, sungrown tobacco will be stronger because the sun will allow the plant to have more nutrients. this thickens the leaf, and adds more flavor.

another way to change the strength is how long the leaf is on the plant.
    when tobacco is harvested for cigars it is often done in primings. Primings are pairs (groups) of leaves on the plant. the lower on the plant the earlier they are picked. the earlier they are picked, the less time they have to soak up the sun and nutrients in the soil. therefore, they are lighter in body.
    the higher up the priming, the more body the tobacco leaf will have. Ligero is one of the top primings. it is well known to be one of the strongest leaves in a blend. this leaf is on the plant much longer than the seco, or valado, or any other priming (unless the carona leaves are used)

if you leave the leaves on the plant so long that they begin to cure on the stalk then you are running into what couldl become Oscuro wrapper leaf. Many of the stronger blends have oscuro wrappers because of the extra time giving it more body and character.

the soil also plays an important roll in strength. generally speaking, the richer the soil, the fuller the body. a few key nutrients do ply a roll, nitrogen being the most notable. Nitrogen increases nicotine content, plant yield, leaf width, weight per unit leaf area.

region can play a roll as well but not so much more as in the past. new technology and fertilizers enable a farmer to manipulate this a bit. there are still generalizations that exist. Indonesia, the Dominican Republic, and Ecuador have been known to make good mild tobaccos, where as Nicaragua, Cuba, and Honduras have been known to produce a fuller bodied leaf.

another huge influence on body is the curing and fermentation process. all tobacco needs to be cured. usually after the leaves have been cut off the stalk they are hung to cure. this is the traditional way of curing. another type of curing that can increase the body of a cigar is Stalk-curing. this is where the leaves are left on the stalk and not primed. when the leaves are on the stalk, they will steal more nutrients from the stalk as it cures, making a bolder taste, and fuller body.
    when it comes to fermentation, in very general terms, the more you ferment the tobacco the more it breaks down, the more mild it becomes.
    a maduro wrapper has been fermented and "cooked" in tight bales so much so that the sugars are drawn to the forefront and the color of the leaf darkens. this process smooths, calms, and sweetens the tobacco. the leaf is now more mild.
    it is very possible to "over ferment" tobacco, thus destroying essential oils.

this leads right into age. the older a tobacco leaf is, the more the essential oils have had time to break down. this usually has a calming effect of the leaf. harsh notes are smoothed over. spice is reduced. body is tamed. a full bodied leaf will not be as full 18 years down the line. in fact, tobacco can over-age and lose all its flavor. a milder leaf may do this in less than 10 years. a fuller bodied leaf may take 20+ years.
    age does not just apply to raw leaf.
    cigars, once rolled will continue to age until they are smoked. the same things happen to a cigar as an individual leaf. they become mild as they age. it is again possible to over age a cigar.

blending is critical in determining body of a cigar. in short, the milder the tobacco used, the milder the cigar.
    it is possible to have a mild body tobacco with full flavor paired up in a blend with tobacco that has very little flavor but a ton of body.
    these different blends need to be balanced with flavor and can make it difficult to get a desired flavor in a cigar.

this is again why so few people are master blenders.

• Options
    in a way this is a response to THIS thread. i responded in that thread with what i thought he was asking. then corrected on what the question was asked i posted this:

I recently had the pleasure of blending my own cigar at the Placencia Factory in Estali, Nicaragua.

i found myself in the blending room with hundreds of tobaccos at my disposal. this is a bit overwhelming. you cant just randomly pick out some tobacco and expect it to be good in a blend. I had to step back from the situation think about what i liked in a cigar.
    I tend to like a nutty flavor.
    i want it to be a bit sweet.
    i want there to be warm undertones.
    medium in body

this basic flavor profile will help guide me as i blend.

since most of the flavor of a cigar comes from the wrapper, this seems like a logical place to start.
    I find that Honduran tobacco tends to have the nutty tones to it, so i know what country to start with. I am looking for a good rich flavor from the wrapper so i cannot have it be seco (lowest priming) it will be to mild and will get over powered by the rest of the blend. I cant have it be Ligero due to burn issues and the tendency for ligero to be spicier than i am looking for. this narrows it down to viso. I dont want the leaf to be too fermented or it will lose some of the nut tones that Honduran tobacco has and it may make sweet the dominant flavor. I settle in on a Viso criollo Colorado Intermedio (medium hue and therefore fermentation compared to a maduro or natural colorado) From the Azacualpa region of Honduras.

the binder seems like the logical next.
    I am looking for a sweet leaf that is hearty. this should be able to give me the bit of sweet that i am looking for while still holding the cigar together. When many people think sweet tobacco, they think of Cameroon tobacco. The sweetness and the overall neutrality of the tobacco should compliment the wrapper well. The binder cant be to strong of a leaf because it will over power the wrapper so ligero is out (ligero is also out for combustion issues as well), but i want it to have some impact so Seco is out as well. Viso is again the way to go. I used a Natural Cameroon Viso leaf as binder.

Filler can be tricky.
    the filler has to not only compliment itself, but it needs to go well with the wrapper binder combination. much of the body of the cigar is decided in the filler. I want some body to it but i dont want it to be overbearing. So i will need some ligero. Ligero tends to add a depth of flavor that other tobaccos cannot. I feel that the Ligero is the most important leaf (leaves) in the filler as far as taste is concerned.
    i am looking for a warm undertone almost like a mild cinnamon. my first thought is the Dominican Republic. many of the puros i have had from the DR have had these warm undertones. (the LG, OpusX, Puro deOro, etc...) so this may be the way to go. the dominican usually produces tobacco that is a bit milder than that of other countries so i can have the ligero and get the flavor without having the spice and lack of balance.

the next leaf in the blend i want to reflect the nutty notes. i dont want the nut flavors to be one dimensional so the filler should also have a Honduran tobacco. the Jamastran Vally of Honduras Produces some of the richest tobaccos the country can provide, but since i am not looking to add ligero and i am just looking for support to the wrapper i will be using seco. its rich for seco, but mild for the plant it came from. i am using a Habano seco from The Jamastran Vally in Honduras.

i want an element of complexity in this blend. Nicaragua produces some of the most complex tobacco in the world, and i want some of that in there. the problem is that it can get spicy and powerful quickly. Ligero is right out. seco may get lost in the mix so i am aiming that viso will work well. with any luck this combined with the Dominican Ligero will give me the Cinnamon tones that i am looking for.

so now we have our blend:
    wrapper: Viso criollo Colorado Intermedio From the Azacualpa region of Honduras
    Binder: Natural Cameroon Viso
    and filler: Dominican Ligero, Habano seco from The Jamastran Vally in Honduras, Nicaraguan Habano viso.

all of that is before the first taste.

Hand this list to a roller and tell him to aim for a ring of 46 (to make the wrapper and binder leaves more prominent) and 6.75 inches long (to get complexity from the filler).
    he rolls it up and hands it to me.

here are my tasting notes:

the first puffs bring on a sweetness on the front of the tongue. the flavor becomes nutty with a warm but mild cinnamon undertone. the finish has a different type of nut flavor to it but it is still clearly nuts.

as it develops, the nut flavors stand out more and can be tasted on the lips as well. A hops note develops on the finish. the cigar is medium full in body.

as it progresses a sweetness develops in the finish as well. it compliments the hops. i was not expecting sweet in the finish and i wasnt expecting hops at all. but they work well together.

the final third brings on a bit more spice as the sweet on the finish fades. the smoke warms near the end but the nut and sweet still show up strong.

i didnt get the opportunity to go back and tweak the blend. if i had the chance i would use a bit less nicaraguan in the filler, maybe half as much, and replace that amount with the Honduran that was already being used in the filler.

i would taste from there and maybe tweak again. this process can take days, weeks, or even years. rarely does a blender get it 100% perfect the first time.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds like fun, could you have asked them to roll up a box for you?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    i got a bundle of 20.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Wow that sounds great for a first blend attempt. Who knows maybe you can work with Alex to tweak the blend.
    Good stuff Kuzi.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Amos Umwhat:
    i got a bundle of 20.
    Nice!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    That sounds like an amazing time and a great blend! I almost felt like I was right there with you blending this bad boy.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Amazing description of your thought process! The whole thing sounds incredibly intimidating though, were there any people with you who didn't have your level of knowledge and experience? Were they given any help in the process?
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    Amazing description of your thought process! The whole thing sounds incredibly intimidating though, were there any people with you who didn't have your level of knowledge and experience? Were they given any help in the process?
    yes. there were a few, my wife being one of them. myself and the guy running the trip helped her with her blend. she did very little but she did come up with the flavor profile that she wanted. she wanted it to be a sweet vanilla and black pepper with a nutty undertone.
    she ended up with a brazilian maduro wrapper, jalapa honduran binder and a mix of honduran fillers with different degrees of fermentation.
  • Options
    nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    kuzi16:
    Ken Light:
    yes. there were a few, my wife being one of them. myself and the guy running the trip helped her with her blend. she did very little but she did come up with the flavor profile that she wanted. she wanted it to be a sweet vanilla and black pepper with a nutty undertone.
    she ended up with a brazilian maduro wrapper, jalapa honduran binder and a mix of honduran fillers with different degrees of fermentation.
    Sounds like a nice cigar, did you try one of these?
  • Options
    nikostewart:
    kuzi16:
    Ken Light:
    Sounds like a nice cigar, did you try one of these?
    yes but only a puff. i dont remember too much of it right now. i have a bundle of 20 of those as well.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    What factory did you do the blending session at? Drew Estate? I've heard their blending sessions are killer. Talking to a guy right now who has a bundle of 100 lances he blended with drew a few weeks ago, t-52 wrapper, awesome filler blend, sitting in the aging room at the factory right now waiting for the next time he goes back haha.
  • Options
    the placencia factory.
    i have heard the one at drew estates does not have as much tobacco selection on hand.
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your experience with us. That was a great read!
  • Options
    That cigar sounds really tasty. When you put this into regular production i hope you give us all discounts.
  • Options
    RaschNuts:
    That cigar sounds really tasty. When you put this into regular production i hope you give us all discounts.
    IF i get it into regular production.

easier said than done.
  • Options
    havanaalhavanaal Posts: 155 ✭✭
    One aspect of blending I could never figure out has to do with the evolution of the smoke as the burn progesses. As we know, the flavors change as the ash lengthens. But I don't see how one could anticipate those flavors until after the blend is formulated and lit. Some cigars are interesting in that the flavor changes totally. Some just get harsher and boring (I avoid those, duh).
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    From what I understand, the blender knows the general taste of a cigar before he blends it, partly through experience, partly through smoking puro's of the individual leaves; but even knowing this, it's impossible to tell how it'll turn out. Thus, even master blenders need months or years before they can get the kind of taste/blend they want out of a particular cigar.
  • Options
    havanaal:
    One aspect of blending I could never figure out has to do with the evolution of the smoke as the burn progesses.
    that is a difficult one. the smoke itself changes the tobacco as it goes through the cigar.
    do the last 3 inches taste different than the first two because of this? sometimes.
    is there a way to tell if it will?
    iduno.

some cigars are one note songs. the NUBs taste the same all the way through. does the smoke not effect the flavor in the unsmoked tobacco?
    maybe my palate isnt refined enough to tell. maybe it doesnt make a difference.
    there is one way to ensure complexity. thats to do what viaje did with one of their blends...
    Change the filler part way through.
    the stick was the 50/50. at about the midpoint there was a distinct change in the flavor. this is because some of the filler leaves were changed.

discussed earlier in this thread was the concept of a NUB vs a cigar in the "A" vitola.
    the thought behind the NUBs one note was that only tobacco from a specific part of the leaf was being used. in an "A" the entire leaf is being used. the nutrient distribution in that leaf is not even. this gives the filler a bit of complexity. im sure that has a bit to do with it also.
    this is a very difficult question, but im going to try and pay attention to how a cigar changes from beginning to end and see if there are any patterns. (besides the typical building in strength)
    maybe i can even look back and read my catalog and establish patterns.

this, like many things in this thread, open an entirely new Pandora's box in blending.
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One quick question, do you own the blend you created?
  • Options
    that question means a lot more if it were going into production. If i were a blender, i would not put it in production because it is not exactly what im looking for. will others like it? i would guess they could.
    since i have so few of them i will only be giving out a very small number. one to my father, my wifes father, a good friend, and the winner of the 10k post contest.
    each of those people will get one of my wifes blend as well.

given the opportunity to blend again, i hope that i get more than one shot at it. i feel that i could tweak the blend a bit and get it to where i want it to be.
    even if the same tobacco isnt being used, i feel that i could get a cigar that captures more of what i was going for if i had more than a few hours to work on it.

all that being said... no i dont own it.
    all work and tobacco belong to the Placencia factory. if i wanna get technical, legally, it belongs to them.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    that question means a lot more if it were going into production. If i were a blender, i would not put it in production because it is not exactly what im looking for. will others like it? i would guess they could.
    since i have so few of them i will only be giving out a very small number. one to my father, my wifes father, a good friend, and the winner of the 10k post contest.
    each of those people will get one of my wifes blend as well.

given the opportunity to blend again, i hope that i get more than one shot at it. i feel that i could tweak the blend a bit and get it to where i want it to be.
    even if the same tobacco isnt being used, i feel that i could get a cigar that captures more of what i was going for if i had more than a few hours to work on it.

all that being said... no i dont own it.
    all work and tobacco belong to the Placencia factory. if i wanna get technical, legally, it belongs to them.
    So is that how it works if Company A has Factory A make their Cigar the Factory owns it? Or are you able to patent or Copyright a cigar?
  • Options
    RaschNuts:
    So is that how it works if Company A has Factory A make their Cigar the Factory owns it?
    no, or yes depending on the deal that was worked out. in my case we were part of a group vititing the factory with the deal already worked out. we had no intentions of making a line of cigars so if we happened to hit the jackpot and make a crazy good blend, it was theirs.
    RaschNuts:
    Or are you able to patent or Copyright a cigar?
    im not sure about the blend. the name, yes.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    RaschNuts:
    So is that how it works if Company A has Factory A make their Cigar the Factory owns it?
    no, or yes depending on the deal that was worked out. in my case we were part of a group vititing the factory with the deal already worked out. we had no intentions of making a line of cigars so if we happened to hit the jackpot and make a crazy good blend, it was theirs.
    Same thing happens in academia. If I do anything marketable, it instantly becomes the property of Rutgers. My mistakes, on the other hand, are all mine. ;)
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    RaschNutsRaschNuts Posts: 882
    Kuz - i was reading the CCOM mag an it was talking about the 2011 Tobacco Report. I was wondering the tobacco that will be picked this year. how much of that goes into the cigars produced this year. I know there is a fermentation process and i think i read typically will take a couple months, and im not sure when they harvest the tobacco. So would we get any of the tobacco this year or would it be in our cigars next year and later years?
  • Options
    almost none of it will be ready to go by that point. there is a time period of a few weeks/months for curing, then a few months for fermenting. most factories age after that. i would say that most of the tobacco from this year will be used 2+ years out. this may be a "vintage" year and that means that there may be even MORE age.

just remember:
    good things come to those who wait.

• Options
    RaschNutsRaschNuts Posts: 882
    Patience is a Virtue.

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Great information here. Could you elaborate A little more on the different types of plants? Burly verses Sumatra and so on. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for A informative post.
  • Options
    Burly is actually used in pipe tobacco. that is not a typical cigar tobacco.

what are you looking to know on those types?
    it is very difficult to give an answer to a question that is asked on such a broad subject.
    thats like the thread that asks ust to school the new guy on "everything cigar"

there is so much going on in the cigar world that this is an impossible task.
    in my original post i tried to give a brief overview because there is so much information out there that putting it in one post is impractical.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Basically I would like to know which tobacco would be good for cigars and what flavors could be expected from each. I grew Florida Sumatra, Cuban Habano, Kelly Broadleaf, Connecticut Broadleaf, Pennsylvania Red and Black Mammoth this year. I'm trying to figure out what varieties to grow next year. I don't want to waste valuable garden space on varieties that wont be good for cigars.