Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Signature Collection robusto

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Our new pal biodarwin shot me this fabulous Signature Collection robusto you see here:

Up until now, my favorite sungrown has been the Factory Throwout #49. I've tried others costing ten times as much; but I never found one which measured up. All that's over with now. You see, this sun grown Sumatran wrapper has been aged precisely eight times as long as I have been smoking cigars. What a difference.

This stick is extra long for a robusto: five and three quarters. It's tightly rolled and it's light in weight. The skin is glossy with medium veins. If feels slick between my lips. The foot smells earthy and the wrapper tastes earthy with a little cedar tickle. It uncapped easy as pie, very neatly. I always just use a pocket knife. The draw was medium tight. I tasted cedar and earth.

It took two matches to light the thing, but I was using the cigar.com matches which come in a silver box with each c.com shipment, and those matches are crap. There just doesn't seem to be any heat in one. Now, most cigars which are going to mellow out and turn creamy, you have to wait until the burn settles in. Not so here. Soon as I fired up, I got creamy taste. Creamy earth. Creamy cedar.

And here's the best: There was something that I couldn't figure out until I was almost done. My grandma used to make marzipan this time of year. I think she used to call it almondarra or some such. Crushed almonds, sugar, and egg, all toasted up in some secret way. This stick is full of toasty sweet almond, like that marzipan. Yummy in the tummy, I tell you.

So I had the earthy tobacco, a cedar tickle, and this sweet almond concoction, all in a super creamy smoke all mellowed out by age.

Here's another odd thing: The smoke was patchy. Not that I didn't have volume; I did. But the smoke neither hung together nor did it distribute evenly. It clung in patches. No good for blowing smoke rings, I can tell you that.

But a great smooth terrific sungrown./ Slow burn. Tiger striped black and grey ash which fell off short, so not well mannered enough to smoke indoors. Each time the ash fell, the almonds hit harder; ten receded as the ash grew again.

The worst part was that the dang thinbg went abruptly out after an hour and a half, with a good three inches left. I was hoping to squeeze another half hour out of her. But that's what happens at chez webmost smoking in the garage after four days of rain.

I was left with a very pleasant marzipan stinkfinger, all toasrty and sweet. A tangy morning mouth. No wheeze.

Rated four and a half stars. These I could stand a box of.
“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I've been wondering about these. Seeing as I love the PDR sungrown.
    Now I'll have to add some to my next order.

Good review sir.

• Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I'Ve been wondering about these also, along with the signature collection maduro. Some insane per box prices if you know where. Pm me if you haven't seen what I mean. 30 ct boxes also I believe in corona sizes
  • Options
    JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    blurr:
    I'Ve been wondering about these also, along with the signature collection maduro. Some insane per box prices if you know where. Pm me if you haven't seen what I mean. 30 ct boxes also I believe in corona sizes
    I have been wondering about both of these too.. I might have to pick up a sampler soon, to try both out..