Home Cigar 101
Options

Making my own humidor

2»

Comments

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkippyGun:

Nice box! Have you tried looking locally for cedar? It is kind of a specialty craft wood, some lumber places apparently have it and others don't. I hear that it is waaay more expensive to buy online. Maybe you could try and find some lumber/wood stores to call up and ask.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    SkippyGun:

Nice box! Have you tried looking locally for cedar? It is kind of a specialty craft wood, some lumber places apparently have it and others don't. I hear that it is waaay more expensive to buy online. Maybe you could try and find some lumber/wood stores to call up and ask.
    +1
    was thinking the same thing, Gray.

I bought mine from a local woodcraft store, but it was the same $$ as the online pricing:
    http://www.woodcraft.com/category/2000680/cedar-spanish.aspx

A couple other local stores carried it but all of their pricing was about the same as woodcraft. A couple stores offered discounts if I ordered a larger amount but it was wayyy more than I'd ever need.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    SkippyGunSkippyGun Posts: 23
    I've tried my local lumber/craft stores with no luck. Thank you for the suggestions though. And a major thank you on my box. It's not completely finished but it definitely has been a major learning experience. I plan on making a few more of these and the humidor I mentioned in many earlier posts. As soon as I get the wood I want for the outside of it, and plenty of the cedar, I'll be making it. Give me time and I will post pics of it throughout the process. It's the strict budget that's kickin me in the shins. I'm using very little power tools and 95% of everything that I've done is all by hand (e.g. Files, sand paper, knives, and patience). I'm looking for a decent draw knife though. One of my uncles had stolen it from me when my grandfather passed away 6 years ago.
  • Options
    oilburneroilburner Posts: 91
    If you're in Verona KY, take a trip up 71 to the tri-county (north of cincy) area. There is a rockler store there that I believe has Spanish cedar.
    Should be easier than repurposing the cigar boxes
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    oilburner:
    If you're in Verona KY, take a trip up 71 to the tri-county (north of cincy) area. There is a rockler store there that I believe has Spanish cedar.
    Should be easier than repurposing the cigar boxes
    that is the store my dad uses for all of his wood working projects.