Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Tragedy in Conn.

Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
A gunman entered a elementary school and killed 26 people including 18 kids, so sad, thought and prayers go out to there families.

Comments

• Options
    MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    Prayers to the families.
  • Options
    A terrible tragedy of epic proportions. My prayers go out to their families!
  • Options
    TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    Maybe one day they will make a vaccine for insane people.... Such sad sad news as my wife is a teacher and have small kids in school I can't even imagine....
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a shame there's no way to tell how people are going to turn out when they are born. Then you can just drown them right off the bat.
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    So sad. I don't even have words to express at this moment. My heart goes out to the families affected.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    This just makes me sick to my stomach I really don't understand how a person can turn in to such a monster.
    My thoughts and prayers go to all of the families touched by this nightmare. The devil is among us and has really been manifesting himself more and more lately. These monsters always seem to prey on the weak and helpless, may their souls burn in hell for eternity.
  • Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    The time out generation.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Unbelievably tragic. I can't imagine what they must be going through in the wake of this. Will be keeping all those affected in my thoughts and prayers
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theedge:
    The time out generation.
    Aptly put.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wasnt going to respond because as new dad I really dont know what to say..... I still dont. My wife is also a teacher. This has hit me pretty hard as it hits close to home. Hug your kids as often as you can. Love them with all your heart. Tell them you love them with every breath. I cant begin to understand any of this.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    I can not understand what would drive a person to harm a child.
    My prayers to the families of the victims.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/mass-shootings-map?page=1

Since 1982 there have been over 60 mass shootings in the US; that averages out to over two mass killings every year. This article outlines fairly specifically the details of these shootings. No other country on earth tolerates this kind of slaughter. I do not think it is possible any longer to argue that the US does not harbor a viloent gun culture, because it does.

The only sane question is; When are we, as a nation, going to face the reality of what is happening, and take steps to prevent these things from happening?

• Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    JDH:

Since 1982 there have been over 60 mass shootings in the US; that averages out to over two mass killings every year. This article outlines fairly specifically the details of these shootings. No other country on earth tolerates this kind of slaughter. I do not think it is possible any longer to argue that the US does not harbor a viloent gun culture, because it does.

The only sane question is; When are we, as a nation, going to face the reality of what is happening, and take steps to prevent these things from happening?

Amen!
    I personally am ready to take a stand!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the reality is that an individual can pick up a knife and kill women and children too.
    or drive a car into a crowd.
    or blow up a bus.
    or set a fire to the school
    or release toxic gass into a building
    or use an axe,
    or a club
    or they can poison the food in a school
    or any other of the billions of ways to kill a group without a gun.
    it isn the gun. it is the individual. if you believe anything else you are an idiot.

the man broke something like 47 laws to commit this crime. if you think that have more laws is going to fix the problem, you have lost sight of rational thought. the last 47 didnt stop it. the next 47 wont either.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    kuzi16:
    the reality is that an individual can pick up a knife and kill women and children too.
    or drive a car into a crowd.
    or blow up a bus.
    or set a fire to the school
    or release toxic gass into a building
    or use an axe,
    or a club
    or they can poison the food in a school
    or any other of the billions of ways to kill a group without a gun.
    it isn the gun. it is the individual. if you believe anything else you are an idiot.

the man broke something like 47 laws to commit this crime. if you think that have more laws is going to fix the problem, you have lost sight of rational thought. the last 47 didnt stop it. the next 47 wont either.

My sentiments exactly . I am sure cave men probably killed each other with clubs . It is not the weapon but humans that are flawed !!!

Heartfelt sadness and prayers to the victims and familys .
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    JDH:

And how do you plan to stop this from happening? Gun control? If criminals want a gun, they will steal one...you know, because they are criminals and they don't care about the law. What about that soldier that killed the innocent Afghan villlagers? Should soldiers not have guns either? Kuzi hit the nail on the head, it is not a gun issue. When someone drunk slams his car in to someone else and kill them, I don't hear people talking about Alchhol or Car control. Oh, because it's not the booze or the cars fault.
  • Options
    The largest mass school killing in the U.S. was in 1937...40 school children were killed when their school was blown up with dynamite...nut jobs don't need guns to do their evil.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Rain:
    JDH:

And how do you plan to stop this from happening? Gun control? If criminals want a gun, they will steal one...you know, because they are criminals and they don't care about the law. What about that soldier that killed the innocent Afghan villlagers? Should soldiers not have guns either? Kuzi hit the nail on the head, it is not a gun issue. When someone drunk slams his car in to someone else and kill them, I don't hear people talking about Alchhol or Car control. Oh, because it's not the booze or the cars fault.
    "Either the United States will destroy ignorance or ignorance will destroy the United States."
    W.E.B. Du Bois

"There is no inevitability as long as people are willing to honestly contemplate what is happening."
    Marshall McLuhan

I won't make further comment on this thread. I don't think the country, or this forum is ready to have a civil discussion about it, and therefore, we can expect for these mass killings to continue, and possibly to increase in frequency.
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Totally unspeakable what happened. Words can't express my sorrow towards the parents of those babies, the families of the teachers and administrators murdered, and the family members of the perpetrator, who include his murdered mother, and a brother and father who's worlds must be devastated right now. Deepest prayers for God's healing. Keep love, family, and community close, everyone.

I recommend keeping politics out of this thread from this point forward. Hope you all feel the same.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    y2pascoe:
    Totally unspeakable what happened. Words can't express my sorrow towards the parents of those babies, the families of the teachers and administrators murdered, and the family members of the perpetrator, who include his murdered mother, and a brother and father who's worlds must be devastated right now. Deepest prayers for God's healing. Keep love, family, and community close, everyone.

I recommend keeping politics out of this thread from this point forward. Hope you all feel the same.
    I agree with that. We went from prayers to infighting in a matter of days.
    Thats not justice for the families of the victims of this horrendous act.

• Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    tincup703:
    The largest mass school killing in the U.S. was in 1937...40 school children were killed when their school was blown up with dynamite...nut jobs don't need guns to do their evil.
    Truth! And how the hell ya been man? Haven't seen ya in forever!