1235»

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    Interesting chart here.

Link
    Wow, thanks for the link.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    i have read this thread over and over and have respondid a few times but I still keep shaking my head. I know that maybe people who live in states that have less strict gun laws than myself don't see this as much as I do but I live in NY. Where magazines are limited to 10 rounds and most handguns are hard to come by and even if you lucky enough to get a permit being able to carry it anywhere is even harder. The crazy fact is i know of about 10 places I can get a handgun an mack 10 and a AK47. All of which are fully automatic. Then you can look at how illegal handguns are in NYC and how many there are and how easy it is to obtain one but then we limit the choices of guns are officers of the nypd can carry. We can ban all assault rifles but then we would just give Russia a huge market to sell their overly stocked investory of their fully automatic assault rifle that fires a much larger more devastating round than a 223.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Rain:
    beatnic:
    Interesting chart here.

Link
    Wow, thanks for the link.

Thanks .
    Some say there is no need for assault type weapons for civilian use . Does anyone on here remember seeing the guy with the AR-15 on the roof top of his store keeping the crowd at bay during the L.A. riots . I believe he would beg to differ .
    phobicsquirrel:
    Banning anything won't fix anything. I am sick to death about every time I turn the tv on I have to listen to this shooting. I was appalled at what happened, I mean shooting little kids! But the thing that no one is talking about is this: MENTAL HEALTH and a "PARENTS" responsibility. I mean if the mom was a good parent then she would have had her weapons locked up or not at all, I mean her kid was seeing mental help.

Why is it that every time something like this happens everyone gets all up in arms then after a few weeks it's back to american idol? I don't hear the outrage for a village that a drone bombs. I don't hear the outrage on all the dying children due to lack of food. I don't hear about how many people die by drive bys? I mean really? The best thing that we can do as a culture is attack .223 weapons and say they should be banned. Like that will stop anything. Every time you ban something there is more interest in it and it just opens up less desirable people to obtain it. Look at drugs, that's working well.

The reality is this, a bunch of people were killed that shouldn't have if a parent had done their job as a parent, end of story. And let's just say that her son stole these guns or wasn't mentally insane and he just went on a rampage, it's not the gun's fault. He could have easily have used a bomb or gas from household chemicals. Would that mean that bleach would be on the chopping block?

Only thing I disagree with here is the sentence " if a parent had done their job as a parent " . IMHO always saying the parent was a bad parent or did a terrible job raising their kid and teaching right from wrong etc is nothing but a cop-out . Yeah the guns should have been stored where this young man could not gain access to them . That much is true . But this was not a kid . It was a full grown 20 year old man . As much as those of us over 50 still refer to them as kids , he was not a kid . You as a parent , if you ever become one , will one day realize , no matter how many times you went to church , how many wholesome sports activities you keep them busy with at school and no matter how hard you drive right from wrong into their heads - In the end - they are an independent person/adult/young person , whatever , and despite everything - the decision -( absent of a mental health issue) is their own choice to do what they do - REGARDLESS OF UPBRINGING !!!

Every human being has a dark side . Everyone on this forum has a darkside . If you disagree with that in IMHO you are living in denial or a fantasy world . Luckily 99.9 % of us can and do control that with rational thinking and sound decision making . Respectfully - Gene