Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Fed up with my Xikar lighter...advice on a replacement?

gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
I just mailed in my Xikar "Plunge" lighter for replacement for the 4th time. I've had this model (I say model, as obviously it's not the same lighter) for approximately 2 years. I've always used Xikar butane and am pretty careful with my cigar accessories. I am definatley a Xikar fan...love my Xi1 cutter. I also have a Xikar "Executive II" (gifted to me by my son) that works ok (translation, works ok intermittantly), but I don't use it much as I prefer to be able to see my butane level. So, I'm in the market for a new lighter and was hoping I could get recommendations for a quality replacement. Not too hung up on price, just want something reliable. Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    This is why I'm using matches now.
  • Options
    MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    Colibri Reload
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I have a Ronson Jetlite and also bought a pack of Ronson soft flame lighters. These have been more reliable than my Xikar Tech.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Just to let you know, Xikar recalled all plunges and actually cut the line due to a dangerous wear on something with em. http://www.halfwheel.com/news-xikar-discontinuing-recalling-plunge-lighters/
  • Options
    scarlin:
    Just to let you know, Xikar recalled all plunges and actually cut the line due to a dangerous wear on something with em. http://www.halfwheel.com/news-xikar-discontinuing-recalling-plunge-lighters/
    Thanks for the info. It will be interesting to see how they respond to my return.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    MTuccelli:
    Colibri Reload

I've been eyeballing one of those, just haven't pulled the trigger.
  • Options
    MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    MTuccelli:
    Colibri Reload

I've been eyeballing one of those, just haven't pulled the trigger.
    I really like it. Sometimes the hands don't want to work so the cartridges make refills easy and the lighter lights with little effort.

• Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    +1 on the Ronson JetLite. Cheap and extremely reliable. I think Walgreen's still carries them.
    Bonus added: If you lose it or it "walks away", you don't feel too bad because you're only out $6.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    gripnrip:
    I just mailed in my Xikar "Plunge" lighter for replacement for the 4th time. I've had this model (I say model, as obviously it's not the same lighter) for approximately 2 years. I've always used Xikar butane and am pretty careful with my cigar accessories. I am definatley a Xikar fan...love my Xi1 cutter. I also have a Xikar "Executive II" (gifted to me by my son) that works ok (translation, works ok intermittantly), but I don't use it much as I prefer to be able to see my butane level. So, I'm in the market for a new lighter and was hoping I could get recommendations for a quality replacement. Not too hung up on price, just want something reliable. Thanks in advance for the help.
    Go to Amazon or Home Depot or Lowes. Buy a "solder it microjet".

http://www.amazon.com/Solder-It-SODMJ300-Micro-Jet-Extended-Refillable/dp/B0002UNOHY

They may be ugly and a bit cumbersome, but they are not expensive, they never fail, never plug up, and the butane cartriges are disposable and replacable.

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Had a consistent issue with a Xikar model, then just traded it in towards another model at the B&M. They get credit for them as they turn them in from Xikar, so getting store credit on one isn't hard. A good Xikar rep will stand behind the product like that anytime, no need to mail it in. The new lighter I got works like a champ...
  • Options
    Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I'm doing some lighter hunting this weekend.
  • Options
    *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    Steve2010:
    +1 on the Ronson JetLite. Cheap and extremely reliable. I think Walgreen's still carries them.
    Bonus added: If you lose it or it "walks away", you don't feel too bad because you're only out $6.
    +2 for the ronson onall accounts here. They look allright too and becuase of the price I bought a couple so I can keep them in different places. great lighter.
  • Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    I will always praise vector butane have not found another fluid that can even come close. I have a colibri hybrid which I believe they discontinued but I had it for almost two years with no issue. I also have a black ops triple flame with a punch that has really functioned well I def contribute it to the vector fluid. Always had issues with my lighter using colibri fluid.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ronson! 4$ at Walmart . I've jasmine for overayear and it still works great.
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    Ronson! 4$ at Walmart . I've jasmine for overayear and it still works great.
    Picked one up at Walgreen's-breaking it in on the golf course this afternoon.
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    I've had a Bugatti B-1 for just over a year. Not a single problem yet. Single flame but I f'n love this lighter. You can pull the triger under $25 bucks on Sprint Sale.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Any Room 101 Lighter! They're badass
  • Options
    Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    I LOVE my Zippo Blu. It's got a traditional zippo flint and it's so satisfying to hear the sounds of the zippo without the gasoline taste ruining my sticks.
  • Options
    Just a quick update-Xikar sent me the Executive model as a replacement (too bad I already had one of these) with a letter saying the Plunge had been "discontinued". The Executive works great, as well as the Ronson Jetlite that I picked up at Walgreens for $4.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I've had a duel lighter from them and I like it though it keeps on dying on me. I've cleaned it and everything. one flame seems to be always having a problem. However my perdomo table lighter triple flame has been working like a champ for years. Best thing I've ever won.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    The other day I splurged on a st DuPont extend...needless to say it will last forever since ill hardly use it lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    bripperbripper Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Any Nibo in metal. The plastic ones are ordinary. I like the Space 7 dual-flame in black & gold. The Space 6 triple-flame works well on thick cigars, but gobbles the butane. Nibo lighters Work great, look cool and have a nice heft.
  • Options
    nickiamnickiam Posts: 608 ✭✭
    Steve2010:

they are only $3.47 at Walmart.
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    I've had a Bugatti B-1 for just over a year. Not a single problem yet. Single flame but I f'n love this lighter. You can pull the triger under $25 bucks on Sprint Sale.
    +1 to this got a bugatti from my wife for fathers day has been reliable and trouble since day 1
    no matter where you go, there you are.