Home Cigar 101
Options

Cigar side effects

I've been trying out cigar smoking, about one a week, and I've had mixed success. I started with a Montechristo White in Churchill length and got a headache and nausea.

Then I had a Padron 1964 natural Diplomatico and got the headaches.

I had a Oliva Serie V torpedo and got headaches and a shaky feeling and I had to lie down.

However, I had a CAO Brazilia and suffered no ill effects whatsoever.

Before smoking, I always eat a good dinner. I always have a tall glass of filtered water along with something else to compliment the cigar, be it Earl Grey tea or Coke. I am starting to think it's the length of the cigar. I always start to feel the ill effects when I'm on the last 1/3rd. I want to enjoy my smoking experiences, especially on the Fourth.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you never smoked anything before then this is understandable.

i would stick to some mild sticks till you graduate up to medium.

try a 5 vegas gold or a cusano 18 connecticut. go with the toro size and smoke slow. dont suck em down all quick.

a toro of those would last me about 90 minutes. ... maybe a bit shorter. this will also help you taste them better.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Macanudo is also makes mild cigars (Robust is a medium). If Toro size is still too much, try smoking Robustos. That's what I did when I started out and worked my way up to Toros, etc...

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    naughtnaught Posts: 56
    I had never thought about different styles of cigars having a different effect like that. A couple weeks ago, when I was only into smoking cigars regularly for a couple weeks... I had smoked 2 Toros on an empty stomach and then went drinking at the bar (realllll smart...), and the next thing I knew, I was out back redecorating the pavement. It was one of the most embarassing moments of my life... because I NEVER puke. I hadn't puked in probably two decades, and didn't see it coming. And the last thing I wanted to do was blame it on my new passion. I was so embarassed that I hopped a fence that must have been 10 or 11 feet tall (still, nobody knows how I did it) and walked about 9 miles home. Nowadays, I try to eat more and drink less...
  • Options
    SweetnLowSweetnLow Posts: 28
    Right, I think I'll look for Toro or Robusto sizes for now. Whether or not it's a mild cigar or not, it doesn't seem to matter. Because if I am not mistaken, the Oliva Serie V and the CAO were medium to full, correct? And the Montecristo is defiantly mild. I'll have to use this as an excuse to do more "research".
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like you're inhaling those puppies. That'll sure produce the nausea, et al, in a beginner.

Remember the credo - "If you're inhaling it, you're doing it wrong".

I don't honestly believe length or vitola has anything to do with it.

Marty
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    I want to chime in on this. I have asthma, and it's very apparent when I've been inhaling even the smallest amount of cigar smoke. When I first started I would smoke fairly fast and I had some of the same nausiating effects, but also noticed that my asthma would be hitting me a bit as well. So for me, the effects of the nausea were a little greater than most...

naught:
    and the next thing I knew, I was out back redecorating the pavement.

except for maybe Mr. Naught. But the solution, smoke slow, take your time, don't inhale, and enjoy the cigar
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    it actually had a lot to do with it. for proof, i have a challenge for you. go out and buy two illusiones
    the two sizes:
    a) "66"
    b) "M7"

if you cant find the M7 then get the "I"

this cigar has some of the most variation of flavor and strength by size than i have seen in almost any cigar.

the blend is the same in all of them, but they all have a unique feel and taste.
  • Options
    naughtnaught Posts: 56
    nightmaremike31:
    I want to chime in on this. I have asthma, and it's very apparent when I've been inhaling even the smallest amount of cigar smoke. When I first started I would smoke fairly fast and I had some of the same nausiating effects, but also noticed that my asthma would be hitting me a bit as well. So for me, the effects of the nausea were a little greater than most...

naught:
    and the next thing I knew, I was out back redecorating the pavement.

except for maybe Mr. Naught. But the solution, smoke slow, take your time, don't inhale, and enjoy the cigar
    I think I've just about got my rythym down but... ya, early on I think I was a little too worried about it going out and going a bit too fast. I think with a few pints in me, too... what little rythym I had went out the window. Live and learn.
  • Options
    FairwindFairwind Posts: 41

When you smoke do you tend to leave it in your mouth or chew the end? That would be a great way to transmit the nicotine and cause the nausea.

So, try a shorter milder cigar and don't chew the end or swallow the tobacco juice.

Dan

• Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    kuzi16:
    jlmarta:
    it actually had a lot to do with it. for proof, i have a challenge for you. go out and buy two illusiones
    the two sizes:
    a) "66"
    b) "M7"

this cigar has some of the most variation of flavor and strength by size than i have seen in almost any cigar.

the blend is the same in all of them, but they all have a unique feel and taste.
    I can catch different flavors in most of the different sizes in the Illusione line although they all start off similarly, the develop differently. The size and the shape have a lot to do with this.

and to correct Kuz...it's the "68"...the Bombone
  • Options
    bbc020:
    you are correct on this.
    i checked the site to make sure it was the right site for the link but i forgot to check the numbers. good eye.

bbc020:
    I can catch different flavors in most of the different sizes in the Illusione line although they all start off similarly
    that is a great point as well. the over all flavor profile is similar. they have an earth taste to them and a bit of the wood that i think of when i think "Nicaraguan tobacco" but how these flavors intermingle and the power behind them is very different.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had a feeling of lightheadedness a couple of times in the last month or so while having a cigar.  After reading the posts and stopping to think about it, with me, it seems to happen with a 54 or over, then I experienced the lightheaded feeling.  I'm wondering if  I tend to draw the thicker ones more frequently than I do the thinner ones.  I'll try one tomorrow and keep track of how I draw and see if it makes a difference.

• Options
    adamkhaliladamkhalil Posts: 80
    YankeeMan:

I'm wondering if I tend to draw the thicker ones more frequently than I do the thinner ones.

Thats what she said.

but seriously, sugar on the back of the tongue works wonders for nausea after smoking
  • Options
    I'm not inhaling. I am very sure about that because I have a lung problem that would send me into coughing fists if I were. I am also not chewing the ends. I am in my backyard that is not covered and I timed myself the first time I smoked to get the cadence down. I timed myself again tonight and I'm getting about a puff a minute.

I asked my local cigar guru about it and he believes that it's the fact that I'm taking in too much nicotine than my body's used to, so he recommends that I use a cigar punch for a while rather than getting a straight cut. It should regulate the amount of smoke that I'm getting as well as the concentration of said smoke. I'll see if this works or not. I am also sticking to Toro and Rubusto sizes, as well as playing around with the idea of trying a Nub Cameroon.
  • Options
    SweetnLow:
    I asked my local cigar guru about it and he believes that it's the fact that I'm taking in too much nicotine than my body's used to, so he recommends that I use a cigar punch for a while rather than getting a straight cut. It should regulate the amount of smoke that I'm getting as well as the concentration of said smoke. I'll see if this works or not. I am also sticking to Toro and Rubusto sizes, as well as playing around with the idea of trying a Nub Cameroon.
    i feel that his logic is a bit off on this one. it does not matter what type of cut you have, you will always have a tendency to fill your mouth with the same amount of smoke. it will just take a longer amount of time to do so with a smaller hole. the only way he would be right is if you take very short quick puffs and depend more on the time drawing rather than the feel of how full your mouth is of smoke.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    SweetnLow:
    I'm not inhaling. I am very sure about that because I have a lung problem that would send me into coughing fists if I were.

I just want to go ahead and apologize, I wasn't attributing inhaling to the naseua, but merely giving my "inhalings bad mmmmkay" experience.
    bbc020:
    kuzi16:
    jlmarta:
    the two sizes:
    a) "66"
    b) "M7"

I can catch different flavors in most of the different sizes in the Illusione line although they all start off similarly, the develop differently. The size and the shape have a lot to do with this.

But I do believe Mr. Kuzi and Mr. BBC have this right on the money. "It’s not the size that counts" but it is the strength AND the size. I'm picking up some of these illusiones because of that particular reason. Now that I've been smoking cigars for a while, my tolerance and appreciation for stronger cigars has definitely grown.
  • Options
    Makes sense. Okay, thanks for all of your help. With that, I pronounce this case, closed.