Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What is it with Sports and Rape?

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
Last summer a young girl was raped by members of the local football team. The town sort of covered it up and if it wasn't for social media and Anonymous hacker group perhaps nothing would have been done about it. The stinker of this is that these 2 (as of right now) football players are 16 and from what has been released of what they have done they are still being set up for a juvenile! I mean really? Now the attorneys for the alleged rapists are complaining that due to the images and videos released they may not get a fair trial....

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/04/us-usa-crime-ohio-idUSBRE9030NB20130104

What is it with these freaks? These people in these towns that will cover up anything just to keep their precious sports team out of the negative spot light? I mean how do these people sleep or even have families? I'm sure they wouldn't want their kids being raped in any fashion. Penn State was about the same thing though that lasted decades!

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Aggression without limits (see: Bountygate, Goodall removing the penalty), wanting to win at any cost, the loss of honor in society, the loss of cultural morals . . . take your pick.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Aggression without limits (see: Bountygate, Goodall removing the penalty), wanting to win at any cost, the loss of honor in society, the loss of cultural morals . . . take your pick.
    Good points, all. Nice to see you back on the Forum, I was getting worried. Like the addition to your signature line, too.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    What I find interesting is that we make more of a connection with sports and rape more than we do with any other line of work.

if a football player rapes someone and more than one individual is involved, the team is disgraced (see Penn state) if a line cook at a national chain restaurant rapes someone and more than one person is involved only those individuals are jailed and discraced.

are we giving football a bad name or do we notice things like that more because it happens within the context of a sport that is so loved?
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    kuzi16:
    What I find interesting is that we make more of a connection with sports and rape more than we do with any other line of work.

if a football player rapes someone and more than one individual is involved, the team is disgraced (see Penn state) if a line cook at a national chain restaurant rapes someone and more than one person is involved only those individuals are jailed and discraced.

are we giving football a bad name or do we notice things like that more because it happens within the context of a sport that is so loved?
    I think that the reason we make more out of a sport celebrity being involved in this type of behaviour, is simply because people are nieve enough to believe that these sports celebrities are just people. We have a tendancy to idolize movie stars or professional athletes, and to elevate them to unrealistic levels, both for us to attain or for them to maintain.

They are just people like the rest of us, they just excell at something that society has decided is worth a lot of money to watch them do. We forget that this "super star" or that celebrity is the same as the rest of us, with all the same strengths and weaknesses of other humans. So when one of these "special" people are involved in this type of activity it seems to be more of a disappointment to society. It really shouldn't be a surprise, but when you set unrealistic expectations on somebody, their eventual fall from grace seems to be a bigger misfortune then when it happens to a "regular person".

Just my opinion of course, so take it with a grain of salt.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

Good point. I do think that the legal system is more worried about killing some one though rather than raping them or doing emotional harm. I'd rather be killed than have something like the poor Indian woman went through.
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    xmacro:
    Good points, all. Nice to see you back on the Forum, I was getting worried. Like the addition to your signature line, too.
    Was wondering what new cigars have been coming out, so I came back :p This place is still the best for getting new reviews and previews.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, Squirrel, Kuzi, Laker, & Xmacro all on one thread. It's like the good ole days. For those who don't know, if you ever get a concensus view from this group, you'd have to resurrect Daniel Webster, Clarence Darrow, F. Lee Bailey, & Johnny Cochran to mount an arguement against them. ;)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:

Good point. I do think that the legal system is more worried about killing some one though rather than raping them or doing emotional harm. I'd rather be killed than have something like the poor Indian woman went through.
    i couldnt agree more.

• Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    Wow, Squirrel, Kuzi, Laker, & Xmacro all on one thread. It's like the good ole days. For those who don't know, if you ever get a concensus view from this group, you'd have to resurrect Daniel Webster, Clarence Darrow, F. Lee Bailey, & Johnny Cochran to mount an arguement against them. ;)
    may be the only way to stop the impending apocalypse that all of us agreeing 100% would set off.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:

i couldnt agree more.

+1

Talked with a few of my lady friends about this in the past; doesn't really matter what their political persuasion is, they all generally say they'd rather be killed than raped
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Amos Umwhat:
    may be the only way to stop the impending apocalypse that all of us agreeing 100% would set off.
    Guess the Mayans didn't count on a thread like this
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Our society idolizes celebrity in any form and our justice system is subject to who has the most money. This along with no absolute moral authority for this culture leads to increasing problems in my opinion. I guess being a nobody with no money and a clear cut system of never changing mores has advantages. It keeps me out of trouble anyway.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Godd@mn zombies

The Indian woman died, though Im sure you guys knew that as well, just an absolute shame and black mark on the human race as a whole. As far as rape punishable the same as death, I cant say that I fully agree however I can say we would have a lot more wiggle room with stuff like this if we didnt arrest and prosecute first time offenders for unpaid traffic tix and having a joint.