Home Ratings & Reviews

cohiba maduro 5

well here we go. not sure i am a good reviewer but i will give my thoughts of my first cohiba maduro which happens to be my first cc also. when i took it out of the tuperdor it was 71 71. not sure how it got above the 68 it was holding at, but this may be the cause for some of the problems i had later. first thoughts were it was kinda light in the hand and kinda soft. it had a slight bit of plume on it when i got it. it rubbed off without leaving any traces so i am guessing it was not mold. it was very slight but noticable. this box was from sept 11. so has a little over a year on it. the smell was very mild compared to the normal sticks i smoke. it cut perfect and the prelight draw was nice. after toasting it and getting it going it produced heavy amounts of smoke. nothing like a ffp but i would still say heavy smoke. first thoughts were it was kinda mild and not what i was expecting. i may have over hyped it in my head but thats another story. the first third burnt nicely and was cocco and raisens. i actually had a hand full of raisens after the first third to compare the taste and it was right on. after the first 3rd the burn strted to go to hell. but as i heard pete johnson say in a interview "i don't care how it burns or how many times i have to re light as long as it tastes good." well it required a re light about half way through and i am a heavy smoker so it wasn't from sitting between puffs. i am not good with the flavors but i did notice the velvet feeling on the front and middle of my tongue that rip talked about in some of his reviews. the last third started to tunnel very badly but so what. i was enjoying this smoke. was it everythingi had hoped for in my first cc. no. was it good. yes. do i still look forward to trying it again with more age. of course. i am thinking some of the burn issues may have been from the 71 hum i had. maybe if i took it out in the am and let it rest all day it would have burned better. who knows. anyway hope this compares to some of you other guys with more rounded palates as i would like to know if i noticed some of the correct things. i would give it a solid 7.5 leaving some room for improvement. and i will make a side note saying i have never smoked a 10. i am still hunting for that one smoke that rocks my world.

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Fyi...I really enjoy CC's at 62-65. I think it brings the flavors out more IMO.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your review with us Jeep. Cohiba Maduro 5 is a very good smoke

Justin, I agree CCs are fine with 65. But when some CCs are aged for a long time 70 helps to keep them little more crispy. Again, this is my personal observation and preference.
    catfishbluezz:
    Fyi...I really enjoy CC's at 62-65. I think it brings the flavors out more IMO.
  • jeep edsonjeep edson Posts: 826
    wheres mike and jun with their ideas
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    good review dude. burn issues can be caused by quite alot... anything from how the vendor you bought it from humidifies the sticks, to the flight time to reach your humi, to your actual smoking conditions. I say rest those guys up a bit longer (2-3 weeks) and fire another up. I've had some havanas that tasted different (night and day) when smoking one ROTT and waiting about a month to smoke another one from the same box.
    sounds good. i waited a week but maybe more time was needed.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    jeep edson:
    sounds good. i waited a week but maybe more time was needed.
    Yeah, it definitely makes a difference with them. It's almost not worth it, although...its hard not to. A lot of people freeze them as well upon receipt, you might consider that option to prevent beetles as well.

Rip, I know 68-70 is better, I'm just freaked out by mold. I actually lost some due to mold and had a 69rh boveda pack in the box for aging to control rh. Now I'd just rather keep everything around 65.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Also to add is if you smoke rather fast the tar build up will well drown your cigar making a relight a must. But I would sit on them for at least 3 months before another try
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Also to add is if you smoke rather fast the tar build up will well drown your cigar making a relight a must. But I would sit on them for at least 3 months before another try
    good info