Home General Discussion
Options

cigar shop inventory

jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
Helping out a buddy.

If you were going to expand your store's inventory, what would be must carry cigars? And why?

Comments

• Options
    TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    we should talk about this over vherf. way to many to list.
  • Options
    Trident:
    we should talk about this over vherf. way to many to list.
    for sure Rome. we will soon.
  • Options
    puffmasterpuffmaster Posts: 254 ✭✭
    definately tatuaje and I would look inot curivari its a really good smoke and they sell as well as the main line pdr sells good and at good msrp. I love the torano line its a solid smoke for the price and my customers buy them up.

#DE4L #StillPuffin

• Options
    *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    So, I have zero experience in this sort of thing, so take these thoughts with a grain of salt, but I think you'd need to carry a combination of both the big names/big sellers (GCC stuff, Fuente, Padron) and the boutique stuff (Tats, MF, DPG, LFD, Drew Estate, EPC), with a small selection of the limited stuff. That way you'd attract both crowds, the guys like us and the rest of the the cigar world. And I said a very small selection of limited edition stuff so the shop doesn't lose too muhc $$ is they don't sell but it might attract some collectors of the htf stuff, and then they would tell their friends, etc, especially if the shop would be willing to make orders for guys.

as for what brands specifically, I'd check with some of the guys here who work at shops, they would have a feel for what actually moves, vs what sits.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Large ring gauges
    Fuente, padron, acid, rocky Patel, anything on CA's lists

Of course...this all depends on what is in the ago. That's what sells.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    puffmaster:
    curivari
    yes.
    and if you can find them Elogio.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new shop owner has to make money and get new customers. So he'd best include a real good selection of one buck bundled cigars, like Factory Throwout, Perdomo Fresco, Ashford Bentley, Quorum and the like. Don't think of them as cheap crap for guys who don't know any different. Think of them as introductory stuff to rope in guys who think they might want to try cigar smoking but don't want to blow ten bucks a stick when they have no idea whether they will like cigars or not. This is how my local B&M roped me into enjoying cigars. Hooked me up with Factory Throwout Claros, and I've been showing my gratitude to them ever since. Your new shop owner can bust these bundles into five buck sampler baggies for beginners, or sell them to guys going to a bachelor party. Many of these cheap sticks are acceptable smokes.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Macanudo - I personally don't care for them but they sell like crazy

Camacho - experienced smokers are usually joyed to find a Camacho selection at a b&m

Padron, Fuente, Oliva - they provide quality products that are easily recognized and sell at reasonable prices

Viaje, Tatuaje - for the fan boys and collectors that get a thrill out of the find. lol

El Titan de Bronze - cause people like me go nuts over these magical smokes that typically sell for $6-8 a stick

If it were me, I'd start there.
  • Options
    greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    I would carry most if not all of the Drew Estate line. Including Liga......
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    greg2648:
    ....if you can get your hands on em.

• Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    The new shop owner has to make money and get new customers. So he'd best include a real good selection of one buck bundled cigars, like Factory Throwout, Perdomo Fresco, Ashford Bentley, Quorum and the like. Don't think of them as cheap crap for guys who don't know any different. Think of them as introductory stuff to rope in guys who think they might want to try cigar smoking but don't want to blow ten bucks a stick when they have no idea whether they will like cigars or not. This is how my local B&M roped me into enjoying cigars. Hooked me up with Factory Throwout Claros, and I've been showing my gratitude to them ever since. Your new shop owner can bust these bundles into five buck sampler baggies for beginners, or sell them to guys going to a bachelor party. Many of these cheap sticks are acceptable smokes.

totally agree with this. as a newbie this is how the closest B&M got my business. I had no clue what i was smoking most days, but they were cheap and they were in a humidor.
  • Options
    edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    How is the neighborhood that the cigar shop will be located? Are most of their customers middle class and lower or would they be considered upper middle class and above? This is how I would determine what sort of product to have in my shop.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    greg2648:

So, just how difficult are the LP's to find? One of my local B&M's had No. 9's and Undercrowns galore. We're talking open boxes of singles in multiple sizes with whole boxes stacked underneath, and they were cheaper than ccom's listed price for a single by about $.05. I haven't tried the 9's, but love the UC's. I just haven't wanted to invest in anything heavily yet (and storage is limited). But I keep hearing how difficult these are to come by, and I'm considering making a move.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    Macanudo - I personally don't care for them but they sell like crazy

Camacho - experienced smokers are usually joyed to find a Camacho selection at a b&m

Padron, Fuente, Oliva - they provide quality products that are easily recognized and sell at reasonable prices

Viaje, Tatuaje - for the fan boys and collectors that get a thrill out of the find. lol

El Titan de Bronze - cause people like me go nuts over these magical smokes that typically sell for $6-8 a stick

If it were me, I'd start there.

This is the route I would go. Big thumbs up for the small company, El Titan. And add a Davidoff line, Avo or Zino too. If you could do all perfect.

• Options
    Thanks guys! I will talk to my buddy some more on the location and overall demographics of the area.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Martel:
    kuzi16:
    greg2648:

So, just how difficult are the LP's to find? One of my local B&M's had No. 9's and Undercrowns galore. We're talking open boxes of singles in multiple sizes with whole boxes stacked underneath, and they were cheaper than ccom's listed price for a single by about $.05. I haven't tried the 9's, but love the UC's. I just haven't wanted to invest in anything heavily yet (and storage is limited). But I keep hearing how difficult these are to come by, and I'm considering making a move.
    If you can afford to get some, get some. If you like the Undercrown, there is a good chance you'll love the no. 9. And if you don't, somebody (i.e. ME) will trade you out of em for sure.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    The Cigar Aficionados’ top 25 would be a great start. The most important thing is to analyze the target market, location and the income level around that location.
  • Options
    jeep edsonjeep edson Posts: 826
    rzaman:
    The Cigar Aficionados’ top 25 would be a great start. The most important thing is to analyze the target market, location and the income level around that location.
    sound advice. no need carrying premi prems if the clientel want to come in and buy loosies of white owl etc.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I'd tell him to expand into everything that I rep. So on that note give him my info lol
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ENFIDL:
    I'd tell him to expand into everything that I rep. So on that note give him my info lol
    Dont you rep short shorts as well E...gross!
  • Options
    Apparently there hard to get from what I heard but 5 Vegas has always been my favorite brand!!!