Home General Discussion
Options

Horrible Day

LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
I have posted earlier that my CAO america had a beetle in it (i.e. the aftermath - two holes) but now after some digging in my Fridge-a-dor (which is only a week old) the little bastards have expensive taste

My first cigars I've bought (since the 10 I bought 5 years ago) were the Cigar of the Month Club here back in May '08... and I now have a Ghurkha Legend Churchill and a Ghurkha BEAST that have holes in them TOO!!!

God, I haven't smoked any of my Ghurkha's from my first month's shipment at all... and now I'm screwed. Over a year of aging and now they are holy like the pope... (Bad thing is that the holes originated from inside the cigar, the holes in the BEAST are from under the label, so that REALLY SUCKS!

So here's my remedy:
I have taken my OLD Coolerdor and put all 140 of my cigars in it (sans the Cedar, the cedar went in the fridge-a-dor) wrapped it in 4 garbage bags and then put it in the freezer.

A few questions I have that I'm not sure about
1. Since my cigars are in a cooler shall I still wait the 2 days in the fridge also? (I'm worried since the Cooler is only in 4 tied garbage bags that it's not airtight and I don't want my cigars to dry out
2. My Fridge-a-dor is only a week old and the cigar beetle discovery was more than that ago, and I definately know when they came to be (I had the house at 80-90*F for a few days before the window air conditioners came out this past month) so I'm going to do a thorough inspection of the Fridge, but other than wipe it down I'm not going to worry too much about it, should be safe right?
3. Can the beetles survive in 65-68% Rh and a steady temp of 66*F??? so when I do buy more cigars are they okay??? Or is it once they are hatched they can live in that environment, so I have to be looking for Beetles?

So, here's to spending the 4th of July with no cigars that I can smoke...

Here's to being down a special gift from the Girlfriend (CAO America) and down my first two cigars I've bought while getting into cigars...

Thanks for any insight gentleman
Nate

Comments

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    ***!

I wiped down my Fridge-a-dor and there was no sign of anything, but I think that the Heartfelt company is what saved my ass...

The temp got way up about three weeks ago, and only three cigars got affected... well my Fridge showed no signs of bugs so I thought that was odd, and gross, that means they are still in the cigars (ewwww)

Welp, after pulling my large churchill box full of beads there was nothing in there except cedar flakes from the homemade shelves... but my large disc of beads had a square plugged and sure as ***, the little frikker was stuck in there and still moving his little *** legs... I tried to get a good pic, and was semi-successfull, maybe I'll post it later...

Now I have all my beads and all my homemade shelves and cedar strips all in the freezer...

Jerks...........

p.s. Thank you Heartfelt beads!!!
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    That's weird that they would have been in a CAO, Gurkha, or other NC smokes. They usually have much better QC. Do you have any ISOM's that are suspectable of fake?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've heard of several high end type cigars having beetle problems, Gurkha and Graycliff among them.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Hate that beetle problem for you ...ya still need to pick you up a 4th July smoke from the B&M ...a fresh smoke is better than no smoke ...
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Lasabar:
    I have posted earlier that my CAO america had a beetle in it (i.e. the aftermath - two holes) but now after some digging in my Fridge-a-dor (which is only a week old) the little bastards have expensive taste

My first cigars I've bought (since the 10 I bought 5 years ago) were the Cigar of the Month Club here back in May '08... and I now have a Ghurkha Legend Churchill and a Ghurkha BEAST that have holes in them TOO!!!

God, I haven't smoked any of my Ghurkha's from my first month's shipment at all... and now I'm screwed. Over a year of aging and now they are holy like the pope... (Bad thing is that the holes originated from inside the cigar, the holes in the BEAST are from under the label, so that REALLY SUCKS!

So here's my remedy:
    I have taken my OLD Coolerdor and put all 140 of my cigars in it (sans the Cedar, the cedar went in the fridge-a-dor) wrapped it in 4 garbage bags and then put it in the freezer.

A few questions I have that I'm not sure about
    1. Since my cigars are in a cooler shall I still wait the 2 days in the fridge also? (I'm worried since the Cooler is only in 4 tied garbage bags that it's not airtight and I don't want my cigars to dry out
    2. My Fridge-a-dor is only a week old and the cigar beetle discovery was more than that ago, and I definately know when they came to be (I had the house at 80-90*F for a few days before the window air conditioners came out this past month) so I'm going to do a thorough inspection of the Fridge, but other than wipe it down I'm not going to worry too much about it, should be safe right?
    3. Can the beetles survive in 65-68% Rh and a steady temp of 66*F??? so when I do buy more cigars are they okay??? Or is it once they are hatched they can live in that environment, so I have to be looking for Beetles?

So, here's to spending the 4th of July with no cigars that I can smoke...

Here's to being down a special gift from the Girlfriend (CAO America) and down my first two cigars I've bought while getting into cigars...

Thanks for any insight gentleman
    Nate
    1) only if the lid is off, and they are frozen.
    2) use some warm soapy water to wipe it, the soap will keep any eggs you might not have seen from being able to pass O2 through the egg membrane, thus killing them.
    3) my understanding is they are only active in warm temps (the eggs hatch when warmed up). hatched beetles might still be active, but the soapy water will kill them. rinse it good after it dries, though, to remove the residue.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I feel for you! Sorry.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Brother, I feel for ya! I had this problem twice and from what I can tell both times it came from Gurkha Shaggy Maduro Torpedos. I had gotten two seperate 5 packs and I had one in one humidor and the other in the second humidor. I haven't frozen anything recently but maybe I should start freezing again anything I get in.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See my latest post under "Preventing the spread of tobacco beetles"

Marty