Home General Discussion
Options

Preventing the spread of tobacco beetles??

Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭

As my first summer of cigar storage is upon me I am increasingly worried about having a problem with tobacco beetles. Recently the temperature has hit just over 80F and there’s nothing I can do to cool my humidors short of forking out massive amounts of money to make a cooladoor, which isn’t practical as it will only be used for a very short period of time.

My question is, if I were to cello tape the end of the cellophane rappers closed, would any possible beetles eat through the cellophane. Or would they be contained to the cigar they started in?

Also would this adversely affect the humidity of the cigars?  as i thought they were slightly breathable??

-Sol

Comments

• Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    cellophane will allow the moisture to pass through it. I'm not sure about the beetles passing through it though, but my gut tells me they would be contained.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i thought the same thing till one day i went into a local shop (not my usual spot) and found a beetle hole in a cigar with cello and then a hole in the cello directly on top of that.

since cellophane is a wood or corn derivative the beetles can chew through it.

one way to keep the beetles down in a humidor once they become active is to put your cigars in bundles in plastic zip bags.
    to me, that seems to miss the point of a humidor, so i tend to focus more on the preventative aspects. the basement is almost always cooler. as long as you dont have mold issues down there it may be a summer home for the humidor.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Coolerdor's arn't really that expensive...a cooler itself and if your using it short term then that frees it up for reg cooler use the rest of the year. Some cedar from some cigarboxes and some distilled water and then some heartfelt beads or boveda packs aqnd your set...
  • Options
    niz33niz33 Posts: 83
    You have two options the way I see it. I live in So Cal so one day I went to check on my sticks and saw one beetle and that's all it took to get me freaking out. Long story short I bought a wine fridge and maid it into my humidor that for me should be your first option. Your second is freeze them. And yes beetles can go through the cellophane.
  • Options
    niz33niz33 Posts: 83
    This is how it looks now I'm not done with it but u get the idea. image
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read a post on another forum regarding the elimination of tobacco beetles and I plan to do it myself this summer.

You can do this with a humidor, a coolidor, tupperware, a 5-gallon paint bucket with a lid, or just about anything that can be closed up but not airtight. In my case, I'll be using my coolidor. I keep it standing vertically so the lid functions as a door and there are shelves inside. For this project, though, I'm going to lay it down in the normal position for a cooler, put some dry ice inside, stack all my sticks in there and close the door - but not all the way. I'll use a piece of wire or something to keep the lid such that the air inside can escape as the carbon dioxide melts and displaces the air. The little buggers aren't supposed to be able to breathe the CO2.

I plan to leave it this way for 4 or 5 days and then return everything to normal. After that, I'll freeze any new cigars that arrive at my house before I'll put them in the coolidor.

I thought it sounded like a good idea when I read it and dry ice is cheap and easy to get.

Marty
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    I read a post on another forum regarding the elimination of tobacco beetles and I plan to do it myself this summer.

You can do this with a humidor, a coolidor, tupperware, a 5-gallon paint bucket with a lid, or just about anything that can be closed up but not airtight. In my case, I'll be using my coolidor. I keep it standing vertically so the lid functions as a door and there are shelves inside. For this project, though, I'm going to lay it down in the normal position for a cooler, put some dry ice inside, stack all my sticks in there and close the door - but not all the way. I'll use a piece of wire or something to keep the lid such that the air inside can escape as the carbon dioxide melts and displaces the air. The little buggers aren't supposed to be able to breathe the CO2.

I plan to leave it this way for 4 or 5 days and then return everything to normal. After that, I'll freeze any new cigars that arrive at my house before I'll put them in the coolidor.

I thought it sounded like a good idea when I read it and dry ice is cheap and easy to get.

Marty
    I've never heard of this, but I'll be darned if it doesn't sound reasonable... One thing I worry about too much is flavor. I've never froze my cigars (Until I got my first Beetles) because I was afraid of affecting the taste... I wonder if CO2 would do anything to the Taste?
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    jlmarta:

Marty
    I've never heard of this, but I'll be darned if it doesn't sound reasonable... One thing I worry about too much is flavor. I've never froze my cigars (Until I got my first Beetles) because I was afraid of affecting the taste... I wonder if CO2 would do anything to the Taste?
    ive frozen my entire collection before. no change in taste. i didnt use dry ice though.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Lasabar:
    jlmarta:

Marty
    ive frozen my entire collection before. no change in taste. i didnt use dry ice though.
    I got my whole collection in the freezer now and I did have one question

OF course I think of this now, and not before I stuck them in the freezer

If you have to put them in fridge to let them warm up a bit for the sudden warming will split the wrapper, How is it any different for the sudden cooling? I'm no meteorologist, but wouldn't the temp change take about the same time?
  • Options
    i remember someone in the past saying that they talked to a Perdomo Rep. and asked him this exact question. the guy from perdomo laughed and said he smokes em right out of the freezer.

im not sure how true it is so dont quote me on that.

i have a stick im willing to try this on though. ill take one to work in a zip loc and leave it in the -15 all day. then walk out and light it up. ...see how it goes.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    i remember someone in the past saying that they talked to a Perdomo Rep. and asked him this exact question. the guy from perdomo laughed and said he smokes em right out of the freezer.

i have a stick im willing to try this on though. ill take one to work in a zip loc and leave it in the -15 all day. then walk out and light it up. ...see how it goes.
    Probably a Gurkha right???
  • Options
    bibbybibby Posts: 152
    jlmarta:

Marty

Jlmarta,

I am reading this right; are you planning a preemptive strike against any future occurence or do you already have the beetles?

Does anybody freeze their new gear prior to putting it in the humi to kill them prior to having any issues or is that a little overboard?

Rob
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm planning it as a pre-emptive strike because, as far as I know, I've only had one stick with a beetle hole in it about a year ago. I've been watching very closely but haven't spotted any others since then. Incidentally, I smoked the cigar with the beetle(s) in it.

It's just that when I do it, I'll know for sure that I'm starting off fresh with no infestation of any sort.. The notion of the CO2 displacing all the air in my coolidor and then my leaving it in there long enough to be sure nothing could have survived, gives me a comfortable feeling. After that, freezing any new arrivals will be a simple process and, if left frozen long enough, will keep things all copacetic.

Marty
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    kuzi16:

naw.... some cheap POS my dad gave me.
  • Options
    robert69165robert69165 Posts: 219
    I know that I may have missed this question but I was wondering how long does one keep their cigars in the freezer to prevent the cycle of beetles from occuring?
  • Options
    i aim for 2-3 days
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i aim for 2-3 days
    When I had my little outbreak, 24 hours was plenty.
  • Options
    bibbybibby Posts: 152
    Does anybody else freeze everything they get or is Jlmarta going to be the only one?

Rob
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Lasabar:
    kuzi16:

naw.... some cheap POS my dad gave me.
    Well I had my cigars (in my cooler-dor) in the freezer for 48 hours and I have had then since moved them to the fridge for 24 hours... and I have begun a test

I have taken the three cigars that have been nibbled on by the nasty beetles (CAO America Robusto, Gurkha Legend Church, and Ghurkha BEAST) and placed them from the the fridge (still quite firm and cool) and placed them in the fridge-a-dor to see if they 'splode on me or just warm naturally to the 66*F
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    i aim for 2-3 days
    When I had my little outbreak, 24 hours was plenty.
    that's not what she said...........
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Bibby:
    Does anybody else freeze everything they get or is Jlmarta going to be the only one?

Rob
    I usually do but have been slacking recently due to being lazy. I need to get back into that habit.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Well, this thread has made me completely paranoid. The sun is finally shining for the first time in over a month and it's nice and warm...but instead of feeling like "yay, sun!" I'm more like "Ahh, beetles!" So I did it; I put every single stick from both humidors in the freezer to sit for the weekend and hopefully kill any potential beetle attack I might get. It does get hot and muggy here even if for only a few weeks which seems like all it would take. This weekend is supposed to be 20 knots of wind so probably wouldn't get much smoking in unless I went to the B&M.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Im with you harpoon! Im checking my cigars daily with the warm weather here.
  • Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    You're telling me! I just had my cigars in the freezer for over 48 hours and I'm still paranoid

(Was it cold enough??? Kuzi said -15 I just have a normal freezer!!!!)
    (Was it long enough??? I did two, some say three, some say one day!!!)
    (Lemme check the ones that have holes see if more grew today)

(Was it cold enough.....................)
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Lasabar:
    Fourtotheflush:
    You're telling me! I just had my cigars in the freezer for over 48 hours and I'm still paranoid

(Was it cold enough??? Kuzi said -15 I just have a normal freezer!!!!)
    (Was it long enough??? I did two, some say three, some say one day!!!)

(Was it cold enough.....................)

I hear Miller Lite improves the eye sight Lassie ...at least it will let you see things in a new light haha ...
  • Options
    Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭

whats the probability that a cigar will have an unhatched beetel in it?? just a thoughtHmm [^o)]

• Options
    sol1821:

whats the probability that a cigar will have an unhatched beetel in it?? just a thoughtHmm [^o)]

To really know is going to be hard, the beetles when dormant and not in the larvae stage are microscopic and not able to be detected by the human eye...

BUT some have said that major brands fumigate to kill these buggers, but that may still mean that there are dead beetles on the leaf and I don't really think the fumigation does anything (like if you see my previous posts, I believe that two Gurkha's were the culprit that started my beetle problem and I'd hope that if "Good brands" fumigate that Gurkha would be one)

Long story short is that there is a high probability that you may have micro bugs in your cigars