Just see what everyone thinks...

BEST
1.Tom Hanks
2. Johny Depp
3. Robert De Niro

WORST
1. Ashton Kutcher
2. John Travolta
3. David Spade/Rob Schneider (They are the same to me)

Who do you think?

Comments

• jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Best
    1. Daniel Day Lewis
    2. John Hurt
    3. ...um...De Niro... no, wait, DiCaprio... maybe Henry Fonda... I give up.

WORST
    1. Taylor Lautner
    2. Michael Cera
    3. Steven Seagal
  • robertgreen30robertgreen30 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    1. Tom Hanks 2. Gary Oldman 3. Anthony Hopkins Worst 1. Jean-Claude Van Damme 2. Woody Allen 3. And women with bad looking ****
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Best actors...
    Everyone except Adam Sandler

seriously....
    DeNiro
    Nicholson
    Hanks

Worst Actor
    Adam Sandler
    Stallone
    Van Damme
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    best:
    1) Marlon Brando
    2) Al Pacino
    3) Morgan Freeman

honorable mention to Jack Nicholson

worst:
    1) Rob Schneider
    2) Tommy Wiseau
    3) Quentin Tarantino (not just a bad director (sorry all you Tarantino fans out there, he hasnt been good since Pulp Fiction))
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Best

1 Jack Nicholson / Meryl Streep tie
    2 Daniel Day Lewis
    3 Robert De Niro

Worst

1 Jan Michael Vincent
    2 Jean Claude Van Dame
    3 Stephen Segal / Sylvester Stallone tie

kuzi16:
    best:
    1) Marlon Brando
    2) Al Pacino
    3) Morgan Freeman

worst:
    1) Rob Schneider
    2) Tommy Wiseau
    3) Quentin Tarantino (not just a bad director (sorry all you Tarantino fans out there, he hasnt been good since Pulp Fiction))
    I really agree with Morgan Freeman and Tarantino, but I really don't get all the hoopla over Brando. He was great - make that perfect - as Stanley Kowalski in Streetcar, and as Don Corleone, but other than that.......what? I've always thought George C. Scott was 10 times better, with a much wider range than Brando - but that's just me.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    BEst

1, Al Pacino
    2, Clint Eastwood/ Sean Connery
    3,Jack Nicholson

Worst

Ron Jeremy
    John Holmes
    Rocco Siffredi
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    best tom hanks(loved bussom buddies..) morgan freeman kevin spacey worst 1david spade 2vince vaugn 3dana carvey
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• WhoDeyGalWhoDeyGal Posts: 727 ✭✭
    Best
    1. Denzel Washington/ Susan Sarandon
    2. Morgan Freeman/ Natalie Portman
    3. Tie between Kevin Spacey and Leonardo Dicaprio/ Meryl Streep and Rachel McAdams

Worst
    1. Rob Schneider/ Renee Zellweger
    2. Nicolas Cage/ Kristen Stewart
    3. Keanu Reeves/ Megan Fox
  • TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    Johnny Depp
    Robert Downey Jr.
    Robert De Niro

However Fav of all time for just this role Val Kilmer (Tombstone)

Worst
    Arnold
    John Travlta
    Ben Affleck
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Best
    Heath Ledger as Joker, Tom Hanks in any role (tie imo)
    Robert Downy Jr.
    Sean Connery

Worst
    1 Ham Affleck
    Most roles for Will Ferril
    Quientin Tarintino as an Actor, not Director
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    it's so hard to pick 3 for best, Morgan Freeman has such an awesome voice, as does James Earl Jones, H. Jon Benjamin is a fantastic voice actor as well
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best:
    Jimmy Stewart
    Kevin Spacey
    Humphrey Bogart
    Worst
    Tom Cruise
    Steven Segal
    Martin Lawrence
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Best:
    Al Pacino
    Robert Downey Jr./Emma Watson
    Jackie Chan (As an actor. As a director/producer, he's mediocre)

Worst:
    Kristen Stewart (Worst. Ever.)
    Tommy Wiseau (Horrible, but it's almost entertaining how bad his acting is)
    Hayden Christensen
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Best:
    Jimmy Stewart
    Kevin Spacey
    Humphrey Bogart
    Worst
    Tom Cruise
    Steven Segal
    Martin Lawrence
    I'm pretty close to this, except I'd add a sub-category of "newer" actors in the best column to include Denzel, Edward Norton, Johnny Depp, and how could pee-wee herman not make the worst list?

As a side note, something my Dad said once. Ever notice how the great male leads are perennial, while the females come and go? That's because basically all females are acting most of the time.
    It's their gift.
    Much rarer for those of us with a Y chromosome.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Amos Umwhat:
    Bigshizza:
    Best:
    Jimmy Stewart
    Kevin Spacey
    Humphrey Bogart
    Worst
    Tom Cruise
    Steven Segal
    Martin Lawrence
    I'm pretty close to this, except I'd add a sub-category of "newer" actors in the best column to include Denzel, Edward Norton, Johnny Depp, and how could pee-wee herman not make the worst list?

As a side note, something my Dad said once. Ever notice how the great male leads are perennial, while the females come and go? That's because basically all females are acting most of the time.
    It's their gift.
    Was Pee Wee Herman really an actor?

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    BEst

1, Al Pacino
    3,Jack Nicholson

Worst

Ron Jeremy
    John Holmes
    Rocco Siffredi
    Lmao!!!!!!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I can come up with a best/worst list. I've been thinking about this before posting, and I have to say that there are a lot of great actors, many of whom have a great body of work, but I remember great performances more than that body of work.

If I had to pick one, it would easily be Bogart. I'm kind of a Bogart nut, though. I'm looking for a good (and there are cheap ones out there, but not great) reproduction of the Maltese Falcon.
    My next favorite performance is Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia.
    Steve McQueen is great too.
    Stewart, Denzel, Nicholson, Brando, there are many more to list.
    For actresses, Audrey Hepburn rises to the top. I can't bring myself to put Julia Roberts on the list, because I just don't like her that much, but she's made some good movies. Eve Marie Saint would be on my list, too. Maybe Janet Leigh.

As far as worst, I'm not even going to attempt, because there are so many bad actors that make a living doing comedy, but their skill isn't acting, it's making you laugh. There is one non-funny "comedian-actor" whose movies I will never watch-Pauley Shore. Put him at the top of my bad list. I'm tempted to put Keanu Reeves on here simply for the Matrix movies (and Devil's Advocate and Chain Reaction), but he's redeemed by Bill & Ted, and one of my guilty pleasures, The Replacements. I'll give him Point Break, too.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JDH:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Bigshizza:
    Best:
    Jimmy Stewart
    Kevin Spacey
    Humphrey Bogart
    Worst
    Tom Cruise
    Steven Segal
    Martin Lawrence

It's their gift.

I stand corrected, I should have said Paul Reubens, but who'd have known who he was? ;)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    JDH:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Bigshizza:
    Best:
    Jimmy Stewart
    Kevin Spacey
    Humphrey Bogart
    Worst
    Tom Cruise
    Steven Segal
    Martin Lawrence

It's their gift.

I stand corrected, I should have said Paul Reubens, but who'd have known who he was? ;)
    The police would.

The test I use for deciding whether someone is a good actor or not is whether I can forget who it is that I'm watching. For instance, whenever I see a movie with Tom Cruise in it, I never forget for a second that I'm watching Tom Cruise. He is the exact same person in every movie I've seen him in, whether he's a ****, or a fighter pilot. It's the Tom Cruise persona. He never once convinces me that he's the character he's playing. By that rationale I think Jeremy Brett, Peter Sellers, and Brad Pitt are at the top of my list of best actors. There are so many bad actors I don't think I could list them all. Tom Cruise is up there obviously.

Then there are actors that I think are ok, but really good at picking scripts. Tom Hanks is one of those to me. He doesn't really impress me as an actor, but damn, most of his movies are really good, entertaining, massive money makers. Maybe not what I'd choose to watch, or fit with my personal tastes, but they are wildly successful.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Best actors...
    Everyone except Adam Sandler
    LOL, partially agree. Adam Sandler films post Big Daddy, awful.
    But Big Daddy and all the films before it, I liked him for the most part.

And so hard to pick for "the best", because I could make a "best" list for each genre. But overall, I'd have to say my "favorite" actors are:
    Christian Bale
    Marlon Brando
    Johnny Depp

Worst:
    Keanau Reeves
    Ashton Kutcher
    Entire cast of Twilight

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Russ55:
    Amos Umwhat:
    JDH:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Bigshizza:
    Best:
    Jimmy Stewart
    Kevin Spacey
    Humphrey Bogart
    Worst
    Tom Cruise
    Steven Segal
    Martin Lawrence

It's their gift.

The police would.

The test I use for deciding whether someone is a good actor or not is whether I can forget who it is that I'm watching. For instance, whenever I see a movie with Tom Cruise in it, I never forget for a second that I'm watching Tom Cruise. He is the exact same person in every movie I've seen him in, whether he's a ****, or a fighter pilot. It's the Tom Cruise persona. He never once convinces me that he's the character he's playing. By that rationale I think Jeremy Brett, Peter Sellers, and Brad Pitt are at the top of my list of best actors. There are so many bad actors I don't think I could list them all. Tom Cruise is up there obviously.

Then there are actors that I think are ok, but really good at picking scripts. Tom Hanks is one of those to me. He doesn't really impress me as an actor, but damn, most of his movies are really good, entertaining, massive money makers. Maybe not what I'd choose to watch, or fit with my personal tastes, but they are wildly successful.
    I like your criteria for a good actor. It makes sense. By that Measure, John Wayne was not a very good actor, but George C Scott was a fine actor, and Meryl Streep is among the best. I can't watch Peter Sellers without busting a gut laughing, we watched "Return of th ePink Panther" last weeekend, and just laughed and laughed.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    My top 5 James Cagney, Edward G Robinson, Jack Nicholson, Leonardo Dicaprio, Al Pacino. I know some said Sly was in there worst but he still one of my favs. Growing up he was an Italian that more times than not played a good guy.
  • NeleneaNelenea Posts: 90
    Can't rank
    Men - Tom Hanks, Morgan Freeman, Pacino, Tommy Lee Jones, Ed Harris, Billy Bob Thornton, Denzel Washington, John Malkovitch, Bruce Willis (even though all his movies are about the same)

Women - Kathy Bates, Natalie Portman, Charlize Theron, Helen Hunt, Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock

Bad Men - Arnold, John Cena, Nicholas Cage, Van Damme, Hulk Hogan, Segal,

Bad Women - Elizabeth Berkley, Lindsey Lohan, Marilyn Monroe

Now that's not to say I won't sit and watch Bloodsport start to finish, because I do even through commercials, and I own the DVD. I love Marilyn, but damn she couldn't act, nice to look at though.

There are a ton of other actors / actresses I could put up there that I like, they just haven't done it for me.. Kevin Spacey, Ice Cube... I can go on and on.. love their movies, but they just aren't in the same class as the others.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    The Kid:
    BEst

1, Al Pacino
    3,Jack Nicholson
    Hard to disagree with this list, though I might sub Johnny Depp in for Pacino and Jack and move Clint/Sean to either #1 or #3 - hard to put those 3 in order
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Best----Jude Law, Morgan Freeman, Johnny Depp

Worst----Nick Cage, Keanu Reeves, Vin Diesel
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    JDH:
    kuzi16:
    best:
    1) Marlon Brando
    2) Al Pacino
    3) Morgan Freeman

worst:
    1) Rob Schneider
    2) Tommy Wiseau
    I really agree with Morgan Freeman and Tarantino, but I really don't get all the hoopla over Brando. He was great - make that perfect - as Stanley Kowalski in Streetcar, and as Don Corleone, but other than that.......what? I've always thought George C. Scott was 10 times better, with a much wider range than Brando - but that's just me.
    hmmmm...
    you may be right.
    i may just have to watch more movies. got any good examples that are a "must see" for me?
    JDH:
    kuzi16:
    best:
    1) Marlon Brando
    2) Al Pacino
    3) Morgan Freeman

worst:
    1) Rob Schneider
    2) Tommy Wiseau
    I really liked him in as Lt Christian (Mutiny on the Bounty) also how bout Apocolypse Now? But I like the oldermovies with guys Like Bogart, Spencer Tracy, Errol Flynn,, New actors I like Depp, Pitt, Penn
    The Kid:
    JDH:
    kuzi16:
    best:
    1) Marlon Brando
    2) Al Pacino
    3) Morgan Freeman

worst:
    1) Rob Schneider
    2) Tommy Wiseau
    I really liked him in as Lt Christian (Mutiny on the Bounty) also how bout Apocolypse Now? But I like the oldermovies with guys Like Bogart, Spencer Tracy, Errol Flynn,, New actors I like Depp, Pitt, Penn
    Brando did a good job as Fletcher Christian, but I think Mel Gibson did a better job, and as for Col Whackjob in Apocolypse Now, I think De Niro or Christopher Walken could have done much better than Brando did with that role. I'm with you on some of the earlier era actors. Greggory Peck was a first class human being and a very fine actor, and Bogart...I think I have most of his movies on DVD. Don't know how many times I've watched Casablanca and The African Queen, but I don't get tired of them
    JDH:
    The Kid:
    JDH:
    kuzi16:
    best:
    1) Marlon Brando
    2) Al Pacino
    3) Morgan Freeman

worst:
    1) Rob Schneider
    2) Tommy Wiseau
    Brando did a good job as Fletcher Christian, but I think Mel Gibson did a better job, and as for Col Whackjob in Apocolypse Now, I think De Niro or Christopher Walken could have done much better than Brando did with that role. I'm with you on some of the earlier era actors. Greggory Peck was a first class human being and a very fine actor, and Bogart...I think I have most of his movies on DVD. Don't know how many times I've watched Casablanca and The African Queen, but I don't get tired of them
    I like Mel Gibson too, Man theres so many, Sidney Portier, Harvey Kietel, Kevin Spacey, Morgan Freeman, Robert Duvall,
    Lee Marvin endless list really. Probably one of the best Villian performances for me is Rutger Hauer in original The Hitcher.