Home Non Cigar Related
Options

NY passes 1st US gun control bill since massacre

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
http://news.yahoo.com/ny-passes-1st-us-gun-control-bill-since-212027571.html New York's Assembly on Tuesday easily passed the toughest gun control law in the nation and the first since the Newtown, Conn., school shooting, calling for a tougher assault weapons ban and provisions to try to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill who make threats. Gov. Andrew Cuomo pushed hard for the bill, which passed the Senate on Monday night. He is expected to quickly sign the measure into law. "This is a scourge on society," Cuomo said Monday night, six days after making gun control a centerpiece of his State of the State address. The bipartisan effort was fueled by the Newtown tragedy that took the lives of 20 first graders and six educators. "At what point do you say, 'No more innocent loss of life'?" The measure, which passed the Assembly 104-43, also calls for restrictions on ammunition and the sale of guns. "This is not about taking anyone's rights away," said Sen. Jeffrey Klein, a Bronx Democrat, when the bill passed the Senate late Monday night. "It's about a safe society ... today we are setting the mark for the rest of the county to do what's right." Under current state law, assault weapons are defined by having two "military rifle" features such as folding stock, muzzle flash suppressor or bayonet mount. The proposal reduces that to one feature and includes the popular pistol grip. Private sales of assault weapons to someone other than an immediate family will be subject to a background check through a dealer. New Yorkers also would be barred from buying assault weapons over the Internet, and failing to safely store a weapon could lead to a misdemeanor charge. Ammunition magazines will be restricted to seven bullets, from the current 10, and current owners of higher-capacity magazines will have a year to sell them out of state. An owner caught at home with eight or more bullets in a magazine will face a misdemeanor charge. Another provision places requirements on therapists, psychologists, registered nurses and licensed social workers who believe a mental health patient made a credible threat to use a gun illegally. They would be required to report such a threat to a mental health director, who would have to notify the state. Any registered handguns — or registered assault weapons purchased before the ban — could be taken from the patient. The legislation also increases sentences for gun crimes including the shooting of a first responder that Cuomo called the "Webster provision." Last month in the western New York town of Webster, two firefighters were killed after responding to a fire set by the shooter, who eventually killed himself. The measure passed the Senate 43-18 on the strength of support from Democrats, many of whom previously sponsored bills that were once blocked by Republicans. The governor confirmed the proposal, previously worked out in closed session, also mandate a police registry of assault weapons, grandfathering in the estimated 1 million assault weapons already in private hands. It was agreed upon exactly a month since the Sandy Hook Elementary School tragedy. "It is well-balanced, it protects the Second Amendment," said Senate Republican leader Dean Skelos of Long Island. Cuomo said he wanted quick action to avoid a run on assault weapons and ammunition. Assemblyman Steve Katz said legislators were being "bullied." He said the bill is "solely for the governor's egotistical, misguided notion." Republicans argued the bill wouldn't stop mass shootings or other gun crimes but instead turns law-abiding into potential criminals. Republican Assemblyman James Tedisco said the bill was dangerous because it would give people a "false sense of well-being." "You are using innocent children killed by a mad man for own political agenda," he said. "You are actually making people less safe."

Comments

• Options
    jeep edsonjeep edson Posts: 826
    absolute craziness. bad ground check and reports for ammo. this *** better not fly nation wide.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    It'll be tragic, though pretty ironic, when crime skyrockets like it has in Chicago
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    When they outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns. It doesn't get any deeper than that.
  • Options
    NeleneaNelenea Posts: 90
    Glad I live in the South.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    I went to a gun store today with my friends. There were 15-20 people in line waiting to be waited on by 3 people. The entire wall designated to Assault Rifles was EMPTY except for 2 guns. One was a .22LR AK47 (Wtf) and A little submachinegun. At this point I have no hope for this ban doing much at all..
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    scarlin:
    I went to a gun store today with my friends. There were 15-20 people in line waiting to be waited on by 3 people. The entire wall designated to Assault Rifles was EMPTY except for 2 guns. One was a .22LR AK47 (Wtf) and A little submachinegun. At this point I have no hope for this ban doing much at all..
    And the NRA and the gun manufacturers are laughing at all the little robots programmed by the paranoia - laughing all the way to the bank with bags and bags and bags of money.

Suckers.

• Options
    JDH:
    scarlin:
    And the NRA and the gun manufacturers are laughing at all the little robots programmed by the paranoia - laughing all the way to the bank with bags and bags and bags of money.

Suckers.

Knew it was only a matter of time ;)
  • Options
    Rain:
    JDH:
    scarlin:

Suckers.

... just follow the money
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    JDH:
    Rain:
    JDH:
    scarlin:

Suckers.

... just follow the money
    I would have dreaded working retail at Cabela's today. I would have loved being the CEO of Cabela's today.
  • Options
    The way I see it is that in their impulsive actions, they (administration, activists, state and local governments, etc.) have actually caused more people to buy more guns. Idiots.

I've mentioned this on this site before, but I'll say it again on this monumental day. I'm a peacenik from the 70's. I have this odd thing about killing things. I have never fired a weapon. However, I'll protect my family in any way possible, and if I had one, use if needed. On top of that, I'll scratch the eyes out of anyone who tries to usurp your 2nd amendment rights. Long live liberty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lack of mental health services is the real issue. I've been part of sending literally hundreds of patients to the state mental health facility, handcuffed in the back of the sheriffs car after harming themselves and others, out of their minds and threatening myself, their family, neighbors etc., only to have them show up back in ER before the sherrif's deputy can finish the paper work because the experts determined they were not suitable for admission!

The real reason they're not suitable? No room at the inn. During the Reagan years the mental health facilities populations were 90% returned to the local communities. About 50% of that was probably appropriate. A large number of those patients are reasonably stable, even productive, as long as they're properly supervised and medicated, and someone is watching out for the signs that they need a little down-time to regroup if they're getting out of hand.

Of course, they can't be productive if not allowed to be. At one time the state facility on my end of the state was essentially self-sustaining. They grew all their own food, led relatively productive lives in relative safety. The left considered that punishment, the right considered it a waste of taxpayer money. I wonder if we don't spend a lot more on them now, while actually providing less meaningful services.

I heard someone on a news program the other day say "We don't have a gun problem, we have a nut problem..." There may be a lot of truth in that.

Oh, and NY's law is stupid, and as usual, will only create more problems than it solves.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Love of guns and Love of "god"------and the willingness to kill whoever for either.......Two things I will never understand. As for if the guns are good or bad, or if its the people or whatever it all seems a bit silly and fruitless to talk about. You will always be able to have a gun to "defend" yourself and/or kill someone in this country. You will never have enough to start a rebellion or stop anything your govt. puts on you. Just seems like a lot of fear mongering on both sides over grown-up toys.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    Love of guns and Love of "god"------and the willingness to kill whoever for either.......Two things I will never understand. As for if the guns are good or bad, or if its the people or whatever it all seems a bit silly and fruitless to talk about. You will always be able to have a gun to "defend" yourself and/or kill someone in this country. You will never have enough to start a rebellion or stop anything your govt. puts on you. Just seems like a lot of fear mongering on both sides over grown-up toys.
    Yup
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    NY was in such a hurry to pass this gun control bill that they forgot to except police officers. Idiots all around...but then again...it is NY.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Worth watching if you really care

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR3t7j2tUec
  • Options
    This could be a game changer.

Link
  • Options
    5 people have been injured after gun enthusiasts accidentially shot themselves, their business partners, and bystanders at Ohio, N.C., and Indiana gun shows on "gun appreciation day". Brilliant.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/19/us/north-carolina-gun-show-shooting/index.html

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jadelt, that clip is right on.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    webmost:
    Jadelt, that clip is right on.
    Just watched it, he is spot on.
  • Options
    JDH:
    5 people have been injured after gun enthusiasts accidentially shot themselves, their business partners, and bystanders at Ohio, N.C., and Indiana gun shows on "gun appreciation day". Brilliant.

Interesting that no one was killed..... compare to this....

Every day in America, another 27 people die as a result of drunk driving crashes. (Statistics from MADD)

So now should we take away cars or alcohol? Aftert all, that is one more that Newtown.

EDIT: Sorry here is the full stats and attributed to NHTSA not MADD:

"Every day in America, another 27 people die as a result of drunk driving crashes."

(National Highway Traffic Safety Administration FARS data, 2012.)
  • Options
    jadelt:
    JDH:

Every day in America, another 27 people die as a result of drunk driving crashes. (Statistics from MADD)

So now should we take away cars or alcohol? Aftert all, that is one more that Newtown.

"Every day in America, another 27 people die as a result of drunk driving crashes."

That would only be a fair comparison if those 27 were killed at organized events of drunk drivers who were celebrating "drunk driving appreciation day".

Nobody is advocating taking away all guns in this country (as you imply), just regulating the kinds of guns that should be avaliable to the general population. I can hardly wait until these bills are passed, and the nutters in the NRA take them to the Supreme Court, where they will loose their argument once and for all because the Constitution talks about a "well regulated malitia", and the current CONSERVATIVE Supreme Court Justices have left the door wide open to such regulation.
  • Options
    "[The] governor [is] constitutionally the commander of the militia of the State, that is to say, of every man in it able to bear arms." --Thomas Jefferson to A. L. C. Destutt de Tracy, 1811

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824.

"It is more a subject of joy [than of regret] that we have so few of the desperate characters which compose modern regular armies. But it proves more forcibly the necessity of obliging every citizen to be a soldier; this was the case with the Greeks and Romans and must be that of every free State. Where there is no oppression there can be no pauper hirelings." --Thomas Jefferson to James Monroe, 1813.

--

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms (within his own lands or tenements)." --Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution with (his note added), 1776. Papers, 1:353
  • Options
    NeleneaNelenea Posts: 90
    Smart man in the video.

I hear that over 300 people were killed last year with hammers. Let's ban those.

Something like 30000 die each year from falling. Gravity should be on the ban list as well.

More children will die this year from doctor malpractice than from mass shootings.

Read another stat about saving children. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 15,000,000 children die each year... of starvation. Feed them.
  • Options
    And my personal favorite...... More American's have died in Afaganistan under the command of Barack Obama than under George W. Bush.
  • Options
    beatnic:
    And my personal favorite...... More American's have died in Afaganistan under the command of Barack Obama than under George W. Bush.
    Probably true, but let's be honest, this was mostly because, instead of going to get the people who attacked us, in Afghanistan, Bush squandered our money and the political goodwill of the world by attacking in Iraq, where the oil was.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    Thats the same logic as saying the majority of childrens swimming deaths occur because they ate ice cream within an hour before swimming. And just disocounting the fact kids eat ice cream and swim more in the summertime. CMon Beat, youve got better agruments that this one---Ive heard them.
  • Options
    Vulchor:
    beatnic:
    Thats the same logic as saying the majority of childrens swimming deaths occur because they ate ice cream within an hour before swimming. And just disocounting the fact kids eat ice cream and swim more in the summertime. CMon Beat, youve got better agruments that this one---Ive heard them.
    You're right. Of course I do. But I remember when ole Bush was reamed for every death of a serviceman and called out with words we don't need to repeat. Yet, these guys get a free pass. Just call me "equal time" hehe.
  • Options
    JDH:
    jadelt:
    JDH:

That would only be a fair comparison if those 27 were killed at organized events of drunk drivers who were celebrating "drunk driving appreciation day".

Nobody is advocating taking away all guns in this country (as you imply), just regulating the kinds of guns that should be avaliable to the general population. I can hardly wait until these bills are passed, and the nutters in the NRA take them to the Supreme Court, where they will loose their argument once and for all because the Constitution talks about a "well regulated malitia", and the current CONSERVATIVE Supreme Court Justices have left the door wide open to such regulation.
    Ok so lets take away cars that go fast. No more corvettes or Lamborghinis (who needs a car that goes that fast anyway?) Lets only have cars that were around when the constitution was written. Cars kill too many people every year.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    JDH:
    jadelt:
    JDH:

$20 says you've never fired a rifle in your life, couldn't even tell me the legal length of a rifle without googling it, have no idea what an assault rifle is vs an assault weapon, and have no idea how many gun laws are already on the books.

Here, I'll make it simple for you:

1) You haven't and you're talking out of ignorance
    2) 16 inches
    3) There's no such thing as an assault weapon, but this is an assault rifle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle
    4) Over 20,000
  • Options
    xmacro:
    JDH:
    jadelt:
    JDH:

$20 says you've never fired a rifle in your life, couldn't even tell me the legal length of a rifle without googling it, have no idea what an assault rifle is vs an assault weapon, and have no idea how many gun laws are already on the books.

Here, I'll make it simple for you:

1) You haven't and you're talking out of ignorance
    2) 16 inches
    3) There's no such thing as an assault weapon, but this is an assault rifle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle
    4) Over 20,000
    I think you've categorized JDH far too narrowly, and I doubt he was unaware of what you're speaking of, and I have no doubt that he's fired many weapons. The guy's from Texas! He lives in The South. C'mon.

That said, I have to disagree with JDH myself in one area. I believe that there are quite a few powerful people and organizations that exactly DO want to take all guns away from everyone who isn't a cop or other government agent. Incrementalism is in fact the name of the game.

Look at this New York nonsense, "7 round magazines". How'd we end up with 10 in the first place? Limitations to "prevent future tragedies" were put in place back in the gangster era. Both of my .22's have 10 round capacities. An old Marlin rifle, and my .22 S&W target pistol, which I paid extra and waited 8 months to receive for the "bull" barrel, specifically so that I could put a couple hundred rounds, 10 at a time, without distortion. Under the NY madness, in a few months, the police could break my door down and arrest me for "assault" weapons.

Scare tactics. I think we can do better than that.

Anyone else ever read Abby Hoffman's "Steal this Book"? Lot's of info in there about bomb making. You can get all the stuff at Lowe's, or Walmart. Shall we shut down those enterprises for aiding and abetting terrorist activity? Makes as much sense as the new round of lunacy coming out of New York.