Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Martel's Marvelous Musings on Magnificent Miasmas of Merit

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I like Diesel, but they all taste a lot alike, minus the Unlimited. Different strokes...some people think MOW all tastes the same.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    You know those cigars that Clint Eastwood smokes in the Man with No Name/Dollars Trilogy? I imagine they tasted like this cigar. It's some Nasty A** Sh**. It's a cheroot style cigar, very rough in shape. Interesting lick and draw pre-light. Once lit, all you get is pepper and strength. And more strength. And some more. Did I mention it's strong?

And that's what the cigar does...it displays strength. You can tell there are some interesting complexities happening underneath, but the strength is so overpowering that my palate was toast. I did find the smoke interesting, but would not smoke another.

Probably the biggest problem with the cigar was with burn issues. It required constant relights and a quick draw rate, which probably caused it to be even "nastier". Still, I'm glad I tried it. I just won't try it again.

nas photo IMG_20140502_165536499_zpshgm2sh9z.jpg
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Not in the process of smoking, or even writing reviews or taking the notes necessary. I don't really know what I'm losing interest in except I feel that every time I get a chance to smoke, I don't want to smoke. When I'm not smoking, I will think about how great it would be to relax with a cigar from time to time, but I don't think I've really had the opportunity to relax much. The wife has needed more attention lately. She's picked up some cigars to smoke with me-which I love, but I kind of used smoking as me-time. The other thing going on is that I haven't been sleeping well, and the only free-relaxing time I seem to get is in the late evening, but I've been so tired I don't even feel like smoking.

I really hope to get back to doing more reviews and doing them better...lots of sticks in the humi to try. Three months ago, I would have killed for the weather I've got now. I thought my open-air porch would need ventilation for the amount of smoke I planned to produce. Alas, life has taken a turn that has removed most opportunities to really have the right setting for a relaxing smoke. I don't want to "squeeze a cigar in". As things stabilize, I hope to put up more reviews. The only reason I did the last two was because I wanted to participate in AJ day-even though the review came a couple of days late. The NAS was more of a novelty and it was a smallish smoke that I thought I might squeeze in.

I apologize for my ramblings. Mostly I just wanted all you who take the time to read and comment on these reviews to know I really appreciate it. When I started this hobby, I never thought I'd be doing anything like this. I certainly never thought I'd have people ask me my opinion on cigars or request reviews. I'm truly humbled.

Keep lighting 'em up for me. I'll get back in the swing of things soon.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    After trying the Black, I thought I might have to try the White for a more standard profile. After a long day of work around the house on Saturday, I pulled it out to enjoy the beauty of the back yard. The cigar smelled like hay and had a slight sweetness to the cap, believe it or not like biting on the end of a piece of sweetgrass. Just a quick impression of sweet. After a lengthy toast, the White burned without flaw all the way to the nub and had not a single draw issue. Really flawless construction.

And good construction kept me with the cigar. The initial flavors were bitter, metallic/salty, and just didn't sit well on my palate. After the first third, the cigar mellowed and cedar with nuances of these other flavors came through. As primary flavors, these are awful. As secondary tones, they could provide some interest, but I just think it was too much of a bad thing.

The second third was the best flavor-wise. The final third was kind of bland. Maybe my palate was just dead at this point, but I didn't notice anything bad at all. Unfortunately, it wasn't like it morphed into something worth writing home about, either. I almost wished I'd stolen one of my wife's CAO Flavors instead of this. The first time in a month that I've really had a chance to sit and relax; the first time I really wanted to smoke for a review in the recent past, and I was disappointed. So much so, that my wife, who had such a great Mother's Day, told me to take some time for myself on Sunday evening and go smoke. I passed up the chance and just read a book instead.

Next smoke's going to be a LFD Chiselito or Ashton VSG or AVO. Gotta get back on track.

• Options
    Martel:
    Not in the process of smoking, or even writing reviews or taking the notes necessary. I don't really know what I'm losing interest in except I feel that every time I get a chance to smoke, I don't want to smoke. When I'm not smoking, I will think about how great it would be to relax with a cigar from time to time, but I don't think I've really had the opportunity to relax much. The wife has needed more attention lately. She's picked up some cigars to smoke with me-which I love, but I kind of used smoking as me-time. The other thing going on is that I haven't been sleeping well, and the only free-relaxing time I seem to get is in the late evening, but I've been so tired I don't even feel like smoking.

I really hope to get back to doing more reviews and doing them better...lots of sticks in the humi to try. Three months ago, I would have killed for the weather I've got now. I thought my open-air porch would need ventilation for the amount of smoke I planned to produce. Alas, life has taken a turn that has removed most opportunities to really have the right setting for a relaxing smoke. I don't want to "squeeze a cigar in". As things stabilize, I hope to put up more reviews. The only reason I did the last two was because I wanted to participate in AJ day-even though the review came a couple of days late. The NAS was more of a novelty and it was a smallish smoke that I thought I might squeeze in.

I apologize for my ramblings. Mostly I just wanted all you who take the time to read and comment on these reviews to know I really appreciate it. When I started this hobby, I never thought I'd be doing anything like this. I certainly never thought I'd have people ask me my opinion on cigars or request reviews. I'm truly humbled.

I don't know how I missed this! Man, everyone to a degree goes through this, IMO. I was at the point of "Maybe I'll take a break from smoking..." Just have to ride it out, you'll be back to smoking in no time brother.
  • Options
    Rain:
    Martel:

I don't know how I missed this! Man, everyone to a degree goes through this, IMO. I was at the point of "Maybe I'll take a break from smoking..." Just have to ride it out, you'll be back to smoking in no time brother.

Thanks, Randy. The setting seemed perfect Saturday afternoon. The weather was beautiful, and then I didn't like my cigar. Happens. I would have smoked Friday, too, except the M-day gift I got my wife arrived broken so I had to go get an exchange on the other side of town. I'll have some more relaxing time soon. I also like to smoke while I write, and I have several writing "assignments" to work on this week and next...

• Options
    Dude, I got my wife this gift she had been talking about for a month. She unwraps it and is like "Oh, I texted you yesterday that I bought this for myself" THE HELL YOU DID!!! So I go look at my phone, no text from her. Later, her mom is like "Oh....Lacey, I think you texted ME that picture." Sigh...!Anywho, back to cigars...the more I talk to people who only smoke stuff they know they like, the more I'm convinced that it's because they have less time to smoke. When you REALLY can only fit in an hour or two a week to smoke, you're not going to bother risking having a bad smoke. For me, part of the fun is the massive amount of smokes out there and trying as many as I can.
  • Options
    Rain:
    Dude, I got my wife this gift she had been talking about for a month. She unwraps it and is like "Oh, I texted you yesterday that I bought this for myself" THE HELL YOU DID!!! So I go look at my phone, no text from her. Later, her mom is like "Oh....Lacey, I think you texted ME that picture." Sigh...!Anywho, back to cigars...the more I talk to people who only smoke stuff they know they like, the more I'm convinced that it's because they have less time to smoke. When you REALLY can only fit in an hour or two a week to smoke, you're not going to bother risking having a bad smoke. For me, part of the fun is the massive amount of smokes out there and trying as many as I can.
    Yeah, I love the exploration aspect. But if I don't like it, who knows when I'll smoke again. If I knew I could follow-up that day or the next with a solid stick, I'd not be as disappointed in the bad smoke. But I have so many to try in my humi that I pass up on ones I know I like when i should save the new ones.

I'm soo carving out time to smoke this afternoon...one of the aforementioned sticks. Or maybe not...but probably something familiar.

• Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    we have a no personal purchases policy in place for 2 weeks before any major holidays......works really well for things like this. It applies to the kids too, back when the kids got toys once october hit no toys/video games bought because of christmas
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    Rain:
    Yeah, I love the exploration aspect. But if I don't like it, who knows when I'll smoke again. If I knew I could follow-up that day or the next with a solid stick, I'd not be as disappointed in the bad smoke. But I have so many to try in my humi that I pass up on ones I know I like when i should save the new ones.

I'm soo carving out time to smoke this afternoon...one of the aforementioned sticks. Or maybe not...but probably something familiar.

I have become more open to throwing a bad stick away and lighting up a solid smoke from the rotation. If I am trying a new cigar and I don't like it after giving it a chance, chuck it and grab something I know I will like. Not worth suffering through it.
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darktower007:
    Ditto.. the one Shizz PIFd me with was (white label) was a great smoke. I he sent the little guy they call it so I lit it up in the morning...lol unexpected spice bomb with full flavors! Def on my future box list to buy.
    I had the white label as well. Very good and a surprise in such a small package.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    matkn293:
    Darktower007:
    Ditto.. the one Shizz PIFd me with was (white label) was a great smoke. I he sent the little guy they call it so I lit it up in the morning...lol unexpected spice bomb with full flavors! Def on my future box list to buy.
    I had the white label as well. Very good and a surprise in such a small package.
    Yeah, liked the black, but wouldn't smoke it every day. Didn't really like the white, except it had flawless construction.

• Options
    Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Well said Randy. A new cigar is like Christmas morning, it could be awesome! Or a pair of socks.. :(
  • Options
    ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    Darktower007:
    Rain:
    Anywho, back to cigars...the more I talk to people who only smoke stuff they know they like, the more I'm convinced that it's because they have less time to smoke. When you REALLY can only fit in an hour or two a week to smoke, you're not going to bother risking having a bad smoke. For me, part of the fun is the massive amount of smokes out there and trying as many as I can.
    Well said Randy. A new cigar is like Christmas morning, it could be awesome! Or a pair of socks.. :(

I can't resist trying new cigars, even though I have a supply of my very favorites on hand. The favorites I have were once an unknown and my new favorite may the next one I try.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    This is so true... Often times I sit down with a cigar to review, and I just cannot get through it, and my palate is dusted. Other times, it seems like I am just taking the same notes and experiencing the same flavors. Sometimes you have to take a break, and I did for a few weeks in March and just smoked what I knew I loved. If I had to cut down, I would be much less likely to try anything new and just stick to Habanos and Kelner/Regius really.

For Martel, take a break, come back later. You have to enjoy it, or it is not worth it my friend.
  • Options
    ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Chemnitz:
    Darktower007:
    Rain:
    Anywho, back to cigars...the more I talk to people who only smoke stuff they know they like, the more I'm convinced that it's because they have less time to smoke. When you REALLY can only fit in an hour or two a week to smoke, you're not going to bother risking having a bad smoke. For me, part of the fun is the massive amount of smokes out there and trying as many as I can.

I can't resist trying new cigars, even though I have a supply of my very favorites on hand. The favorites I have were once an unknown and my new favorite may the next one I try.
    Im with Chemnitz on this one. I wanna try every cigar i can. Im still fairly new to cigars and wish my palet was more evloved to where i can hit the notes described in these reviews.
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Rain:

I'm getting more and more into the first category. I have limited time to smoike and I like to try new cigars, but it seems to me that 80% of the new ones I try--and these are all premium cigars, not yardwaste--disappoint me, leaving me with stinky breath and fingers and a headache. Because I instinctively know that smoking cigars is very bad for your health (I mean, you're ingesting SMOKE, for deity's sake), I try to smoke no more than two a week. So the ones I choose had better be good. Every time I have a meh cigar--even one I thought I loved--I get the desire to sell everything off and give this thing up. But every now and then, I smoke something that floors me--or go back to a tried and true favorite, and it keeps me going.
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Martel:
    Rain:

Well, I guess it was the wrong time to send you something to review, eh? No worries, when you get my package, just enjoy them my friend. Cigar smoking should be about enjoying the moment.
  • Options
    blutattoo:
    Martel:
    Rain:

Well, I guess it was the wrong time to send you something to review, eh? No worries, when you get my package, just enjoy them my friend. Cigar smoking should be about enjoying the moment.

I appreciate it. I'll enjoy them, but I'll make sure that they're reserved for when I have time to relax. I've learned some things about myself in this...

1. I can't relax very well when I'm tired. I may not want to/need to sleep, but exhaustion is not a good frame of mind for writing reviews or trying new stuff. That's time to veg in front of the TV or read or play video games.
    2. It's okay to not smoke when you have down time...I love the hobby, but there's other things I like to do, too.
    3. I need to get back to taking down more hand-written notes. There's something about that experience and the ritual of it all that I enjoyed. I've been typing in the computer recently and don't like it as much.

• Options
    Really good smoke with flawless construction. Ash held on strong and burn was even. Draw was just perfect. Flavor was subtle but with enough complexity to keep me interested and left a buttery feel in the mouth. I wouldn't describe the smoke as cream, like I expect from so many mild cigars, but the feel of butter coating my mouth was left on the finish. It didn't last overly long...it was a nice, medium finish. Very slight hints of pepper, and vanilla crept out at times, but there was just a pleasant, earthy tobacco flavor that predominated throughout.

Solid mild stick. I wouldn't pay over $10 for it, though. Got this one in a sampler that came to under $7 per stick (a deal that included a DCJC, ESG, Padron 64, and OXLC amongst others.) At that price point, it compares favorably to many other mild cigars in the range like Oliva CT Reserve or San Cristobal Elegencia.

• Options
    My rg app said this cigar was less than 48, but there you have it, it was not the monstro because that one has a pigtail, and it wasn't that skinny. The appearance of this stick gives an impression of fragility; the wrapper looks way thin to me; the whole thing has a delicate appearance. The wrapper is almost uniform in color with a few veins, but there are two off-colored splotches that are darker in color (it's the tobacco, gents, not growing anything) which take away from the effect. Anyway, the Daruma had very little pre-light aroma or flavor on the lick. The draw was very subtle in tobacco flavors.

daruma photo IMG_20140516_143739960_zps3caulszf.jpg

After a long toast, the cigar starts with some wood and nut flavors, but there's something else there tantalizing me. Eventually it comes on strong and is the predominate flavor throughout the rest of the cigar-licorice/anise/fennel. Sometimes it's more vegetable, like fennel, sometimes more sweet like licorice, sometimes, it's just that anise flavor. Still, it was never overpowering and I quite enjoyed it in this cigar.

Into the second third, the burn goes wonky, but flavor is still good. The retro is a bit too harsh for my pleasure, but I love the feel, finish, and flavor.

wonkyburn photo IMG_20140516_151114708_zpsn0ewafdf.jpg

After a couple of carefully applied touch-ups, the burn evened out again. Unfortunately this was short-lived.

betterburn photo IMG_20140516_153154863_zpsd3gnpaio.jpg

Before I got to the nub, this cigar stopped burning. The draw was always a bit on the firm side, but even now, I could still draw through it comfortably; it just wouldn't stay lit. I did a cut/purge a couple of times and once, with an exclamation of disgust, just relit it without going to the trouble of all that. It was a great flavored cigar with some burn issues, but not enough to make me want to say it was a bad cigar, I got lots of enjoyment from the stick. Maybe on a day that wasn't raining? I don't know if that was the cause or not, but I'm going back to the store where these were on sale to try again; I really found the flavors to be well-balanced and enjoyable.

darumadeath photo IMG_20140516_162508716_zpsl75yb6nh.jpg

• Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Eric, the only mistake you made with this cigar was that it wasn't the lancero! Lol, really though, I've only ever had it in the lance and papi chulo and have never had anything but an amazing experience every time. I often wonder if he blends more for the smaller ring gauges since those two sizes always seem to be good with his latest releases (Daruma/MC1/MC2).
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    Eric, the only mistake you made with this cigar was that it wasn't the lancero! Lol, really though, I've only ever had it in the lance and papi chulo and have never had anything but an amazing experience every time. I often wonder if he blends more for the smaller ring gauges since those two sizes always seem to be good with his latest releases (Daruma/MC1/MC2).
    gotta love me the mc-1 and darumas...I do like the roxxo and lancero
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    SleevePlz:
    gotta love me the mc-1 and darumas...I do like the roxxo and lancero

I didn't get the lance because it wasn't half price and the BNM. Tried to talk my wife into letting me go back and get more. Fantastic flavors, but I worry about the wrapper being delicate. My storage situation isn't the greatest, I'm concluding, for finicky sticks. It was a great couple of hours. Making the two I'm smoking today seem pedestrian by comparison...Camacho Connecticut this morning and Ave Maria with over a year on it tonight. Both really good to great sticks, but man, that Daruma has my mouth watering now, just thinking about it from a couple of days ago.

• Options
    So, I smoked these two cigars on separate days, but wanted to get these thoughts down before I get too backlogged with other stuff.

The Avo looks really nice on the outside. The piano-key band is really classy. The wrapper looks really good, but when I look at the foot, it appears that there's something going on with the filler roll/bunch. There's some weird spots that look like some parts are really loose and some are really tight. Not sure if this is intentional, but I've never seen anything quite like it. I didn't take a picture, sorry. The head is a bit odd for a Belicoso, too. It seems to be shorter but pointier, or something, just out of proportion compared to most belicosos.

The Avo has a lot more kick than other Avo's I've had. But it also kicks with a trademark Kelner Musk. Lots of musk, in fact. There are some other notes of complexity throughout the cigar, but strong musk is what I got the most through all three thirds. I would not call this cigar "subtle" like I would some other Avos/Davidoffs. I read some reviews that were dancing all around the flavors but never settled on what seemed clear to me. It's like they ripped the gland right out of the ox and bundled it in the cigar. Okay, maybe not quite that much. But have I said it was musky, yet?

I really liked the cigar, but it did have some burn issues requiring touch-ups a couple of times. You also had to smoke this really slow. My stick had a really loose draw and skated on an edge between too hot and going out. It was kind of weird as the burn went. Not my favorite Avo, but a really solid stick. Probably not worth the $15+ price point, though.

Emilio AF1 Toro Gordo

This was a big cigar, perhaps explaining the initials BMF that get attached to it. It was rich, sweet, peppery, chocolatey, kick you in the gut goodness that should have lasted for a couple of hours or more. The ash was a stark contrast to the dark wrapper and held on strong for a solid inch+ before my son threw a frisbee at my head and I lost it. The draw on this cigar was good, but it did tend to burn hot. I was smoking it slow, as evidenced by a pointy cherry a couple of times, but it still could get harsh if you rushed it.

Even at a slow pace, I never had a burn issue. Really, really solid cigar. The only negative is the nick-kick gut-punch. I started the cigar at about 3:30 and had to stop about 5:15 with a good 45+ minutes left at the rate I was going. My wife was complaining that dinner wasn't ready yet. Patience woman, ribs take time. But the grilled vegetable skewers needed started. By the time I finished cooking, the gut was feeling better and the food tasted great, even with the lingering richness from the cigar. I still have a bit of a dry-feel in the mouth, hours later, but the cigar was really enjoyable, in spite of the mouth. I would probably prefer a smaller vitola if I get to try this again, assuming they are similar in flavor and burn. Helluva smoke.

• Options
    I wanted to edit my last post and add some pics, but it's just easier to put them in a separate response.

Avo-looking good
    avo photo IMG_20140524_122024682_zpsv1cqkqxf.jpg

Avo-a little funk in the burn (I blame Avo's jazz influence) but hard to see in this pic
    avoburn photo IMG_20140524_131802972_HDR_zpsabf1jc72.jpg AF1-rich and dark
    memday photo IMG_20140526_154200226_zpsetabe69l.jpg

AF1-good burn
    af1 photo IMG_20140526_162024826_zpsob7mn4vy.jpg

The ribs got coated with this stuff...from my favorite place in Memphis.
    dprub photo IMG_20140526_173058683_zps73m5emq3.jpg

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    how was the Avo?
    i have a few of those and im excited to try one.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    how was the Avo?
    i have a few of those and im excited to try one.
    Must be smoked slowly, so you'll be okay. It is heavy on the musk; rather than musk being an ever-present undertone, it is the predominate flavor that I got. Much stronger than most Avo/Kelner blends with some pepper kick. Mine had a couple of burn issues, but it was an interesting cigar. I enjoyed it, but not as good as the classic, even, especially at the price point.

• Options
    6x52

gar photo IMG_20140706_130922513_zpssifyfbrz.jpg

Not worth your time.

Burn issues and poor flavor right near the start made me do something I rarely do.

garful photo IMG_20140706_143735059_HDR_zpsktz6muah.jpg

That was all I could take. Lighting up an Oliva O to purge it from my mouth and mind without wasting a super-prem if it lingers.

• Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    I was smoking it slow, as evidenced by a pointy cherry a couple of times, but it still could get harsh if you rushed it.
    Just noticed that comment above. It was my understanding/observation that a cone-shaped cherry was usually symbolic of smoking too fast. Also, thanks for the reviews! Any particular cigars you are looking to review in the future that your avid readers could help out with.....
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America