Home General Discussion
Options

Why this forum?

SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
Hey everyone, I have a quick (maybe long) question to present to each of you. Why did you choose to participate in this cigar forum instead of some of the other forums? Feel free to elaborate on how you found it, what you liked/disliked about this or other forums, what made this one stick, do you participate in other cigar forums, whatever you want to share. I would love to hear some of your thoughts. I'll go first. Personally, I found this place while Googling cigar reviews. I was newer to cigars at the time. I had never previously participated in any other online forum really. I read a bunch of stuff here and liked the atmosphere overall. I searched a bunch of other cigar forums and most had a much more elitist feel to them. This place felt much more accepting of new cigar smokers. One day after posting my newbie intro, Todd (bandyt09) decided to send me a welcome bomb. I still remember opening that first package and just being in awe that someone would do such a thing. I can honestly say that that singular gesture inspired me to send out every bomb I sent last year. While I may post and bomb a little less nowadays, I still find this place to be my cigar home online. I'm a member in three other forums currently, but I don't think I will ever find again what I have found here. Thanks to all of you that make this place what it is and will continue to be. To those that notice that I post this sappy crap every couple months, I apologize.
LLA - Lancero Lovers of America

Comments

• Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Tony youre a big time sentimental guy. I like that about you. You and mrs. Shaft must have some incredible s word bc of that
  • Options
    jeep edsonjeep edson Posts: 826
    i honestly don't remember how i found this forum versus any of the 1000's of others out there. i am on other forums for spearfishing etc etc but this will always be the only cigar forum for me. after mike mvw bombed me just for signing up i knew this was the place for me. and it has only gotten better. i have met some great people and have learned a ton. thanks everyone.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Luck of the draw. I love you guys, though.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I found it looking for rh advice on seasoning lol... A friend had told me about the site and I did a few orders, my first was for y employees gifts. Next thing you know after lurking for months, I found the forum.

Why is this home? Because of guys like you, Jiunn, BigT, RCY, Bear, Mikey, Kid, etc.... It's weird...but this place is full of good karma and amazing human beings. Many occasions here have reinstated my faith in humanity. Funny...I was just tellig Jiunn, I may have landed an amazing job while herfing at the cigar shop. That would've never happened had I never got hooked because of this place. I'm forever in debt...in more ways then one lol
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why this place? because of March Madness. J/k ..... or am I?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all seriousness, its because I know you guys have my back. And that's a fact. How do I know that ??? Because I've witnessed it already.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Actually thumbing through a Playboy and seen and ad for humi and cigars, geez seems like forever. Ordered first one online and just stumbled on site/forum in late 09' registered in 10' actually didn't really start posting till fall of 11'. Lurked and read for long time watching, learning and then bam! Here I am! You Boris/botls/sotls are great and am proud to know ya!:-)
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    In all seriousness, its because I know you guys have my back. And that's a fact. How do I know that ??? Because I've witnessed it already.
    hell yeah man... I remember making the mistake of saying I never had a Liga Privada...JHewey ruined me lol. Then randomly Zach offers to grab a bit of FFP for me... Why? Helping a BOTL out... Amazing really, so many great stories man. Group bombings, troop bombs, crazy packages....
  • Options
    jeep edsonjeep edson Posts: 826
    mike. when did you go off the deep end with the bombing. you are one crazy mofo.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    I am a very private and quiet person in real life who lives in his own world. I have a very stressful job and one aspect of my job is dealing with many people. Most of the time, the people I do not want to deal with. I am also not allowed to express my own opinion rather than promote the national interest. As a result, I needed something of my own where I can relax and really open up myself without worrying so much about the real life. This is how I came close to smoking and collecting cigars. Somehow I got involve with cigar and the culture around it. This is how I came to this forum. I am not a member of any other forum because this small and cozy group serves my purpose. I may join some other forum someday but so far I like it here.

I cannot mention few names because overall members are very nice, kind and very welcoming at this place. Somehow both the CCom members and myself became same identity. Is there any perfect forum on earth? Why worry so much when I can really enjoy my time with such a nice group of people?
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    jeep edson:
    mike. when did you go off the deep end with the bombing. you are one crazy mofo.
    like to make the new members feel welcome, like I was by Ken Light and Direwolf(miss him)! Just trying to spread the good cheer!:-)
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    i cruised a few other forums, but i am only a member of this one. the joking, the ribbing, the knowledge, the generosity, and for lack of a better word the BOTLhood, although i have never met any of you, except trident, it just feels like everybody knows one another. its like another family
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    I got into cigars during the Spring of 2010. I bought a few before I headed to Vegas and smoked them there. After that I got onto this site and did a buy 2 special. Then I realized I needed a humi to store them in. I looked over how to mantain it from this forum and a few others.

now, what I liked about this one over all the rest? A lot of those other sites were so stuck up. They didn't like newbies. If you asked a question they would berate a person and tell them to use the search and never start a new thread unless that question was never asked before. You had those people on other sites that were spelling or grammar ***. It was a real turn off for me.

Here though was different. Everyone was kinda like family. Everyone was nice to a newb and wouldn't crusify you if you did/said/typed something wrong.

Plus, with less than 50 posts Sniper and Bandy beat the hell out of me for my first two bombs. They really showed me how it was done and how to treat new guys along with those that built this community. That is why I won't leave this place. I might not post that much, just not my thing. I might now ask for all of my bombs/throw outs be made public. I might not have the knowledge of cigars that some of you do, but I ain't (come and get me grammar ****'s!) leaving. I love this place!!

Rob
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh man.
    Where to start?

Many years ago, I was a member of several cigar forums.
    Most of them were not the type of people I would normally associate with, so my visits to them were pretty infrequent.
    I was fairly active at CI (I joined that forum in July 2003, if that gives you any idea) for some time until it got to the point where I felt that it was no longer productive for me to frequent it. There were people there at that time that were pushy, snobbish and rude.

The 2 cigar forums that I did visit a lot, Torano's (many years as a Toranosaur) forum and another, were closing down.

It wasn't until making several purchases from Ccom, that I discovered that it had a forum.

After several months of lurking, I started making posts.
    Normally, I will make a post or two and see what kind of reaction I get, then ease into a few more posts after a while.

This forum felt comfortable as far as the people go.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I get beat up at my work just about every day having to deal with people that are often very difficult to deal with. When you're the owner of a business all the $hit lands on you. I am a very private person and keep very few friends. The few friends I have are very close to me. That is because I find so many people not being authentic in their daily lives. They are like phantoms to me, not real. I like coming here because most people that are not authentic here don't last very long. (let me show you my walk in humidor) I also watched this site for several months before posting. There is generally a good atmosphere here and the trade,passes and bombs I see from the brothers & sisters here continue to amaze me.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I tend to find a forum I like and stick with it to the exclusion of other alternatives. But most of the forums I have frequented concerning other subjects don't hold my interest long...mostly because I go there looking for specific tips and advice on how to do something. Like when I first started using android or when I got a kindle or my tablet. There are a couple of threads on the one forum I belong to for each of these that I have email subscriptions to, but I rarely visit them any more.

That said, I don't think that will be the case with this forum, even though I'm new. First, the cigar world is ever changing, as am I; as are my tastes. Second, this is just a great group. You're generous, welcoming, funny, and helpful. I've really enjoyed my time on here, from discussing smokes to looking at what bomb exploded in someones mailbox to getting to know some pretty cool people.

I settled on this forum for these reasons. Sure, I looked at other forums, but some of them just rubbed me the wrong way. And there is one reason that has nothing to do with you guys...it's the association with ccom. As a noob, they were more welcoming and accessible than some other retailers, and their site wasn't too godawful with its self-hype as some are. I'd rather frequent this forum and be able to easily switch to shopping from the merchant I want when someone mentions something I just have to try.

But mostly it's all of you. Keep 'em lit, BOTLs.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Like others I only found this forum by looking for reviews. I think being a little off of the beaten path is an advantage by keeping a relatively small active user base with a family atmosphere. Being new to the hobby I lurked for a long time just getting a feel for the community and liked how friendly everyone was, no matter if you have 1 post or 10000.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was researching cigars for my brothers birthday while laid up in bed with a bulging disc. I bought from a few different sites basically blindly or by some random review. When packages showed up, I remembered how fun it was smoking a cigar with my brother earlier. I decided to keep something for myself which didn't please the wife. She wanted to know how I'd feel if she just started smoking one day. I told her it would crack me up, didn't go over well. So, I googled "wives and cigar smoking" the thread came up from here about how does your significant other feel about cigars. I read the whole thing and some to her!! Fast forward to yesterday, my birthday. She says let's go check out the cigar shop downtown before dinner. I said heck yes, then I picked out about $70.00 worth of sticks and she said to enjoy them!! Holy Crappola...in less than a year! Love this place and the people!! Great friends forever!!
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Brotherhood. It's real on this forum.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    Brotherhood. It's real on this forum.

+1 And I'm new here, but I feel it.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    It's easy, it was the first one I found. I had ordered from a competitor twice before finding this place that offered humidified shipping. I was happy to see there were forums and it really seemed like a fun place. Been here ever since but have started experimenting with other forums.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I could just feel the man love oozin outta here and had to join!
  • Options
    I just found it after I ordered some cigars off this site. I had tried other forums but they seemed a little less inclusive. I like a strong comradery because that's one thing cigars stand for.
  • Options
    bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    Hey everyone, I have a quick (maybe long) question to present to each of you. Why did you choose to participate in this cigar forum instead of some of the other forums? Feel free to elaborate on how you found it, what you liked/disliked about this or other forums, what made this one stick, do you participate in other cigar forums, whatever you want to share. I would love to hear some of your thoughts. I'll go first. Personally, I found this place while Googling cigar reviews. I was newer to cigars at the time. I had never previously participated in any other online forum really. I read a bunch of stuff here and liked the atmosphere overall. I searched a bunch of other cigar forums and most had a much more elitist feel to them. This place felt much more accepting of new cigar smokers. One day after posting my newbie intro, Todd (bandyt09) decided to send me a welcome bomb. I still remember opening that first package and just being in awe that someone would do such a thing. I can honestly say that that singular gesture inspired me to send out every bomb I sent last year. While I may post and bomb a little less nowadays, I still find this place to be my cigar home online. I'm a member in three other forums currently, but I don't think I will ever find again what I have found here. Thanks to all of you that make this place what it is and will continue to be. I couldnt have said it any better tony. I can totally relate
    I found the site by flicking on the community button and then forum. Seriously that easy. Lurked for awhile before jumping in. To those that notice that I post this sappy crap every couple months, I apologize.
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had no other place to go!!!!
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I was a customer first then hit the community and started reading and watching. I've looked at other forums but IMO you guys are the most intelligent!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I was a customer first then hit the community and started reading and watching. I've looked at other forums but IMO you guys are the most intelligent!!
    This man speaks the troof....we da most intelligent by far!!
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    One of the first I found and easiest to sign up for.......sounds bad I know, but since Lance is so honest (lol) I figured I would short and honest too. Maybe not why I stay, but certainly why I came.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a motorcycle wrench favor for a fellow beemerphiliac who rode down from New York. He saw me smoking a Factory Throwout in the garage. When he got home, he had cigar.com bomb me with a sampler pack of 24. I looked at this surprise package from Allentown, dialed up cigar.com on the innernet, and found a forum. Jumped in to ask a couple beginner questions, cause up to that point I'd just been winging it. That's when Kuzi cemented my membership. Kept on asking how. Fore you know it, someone finagled my address outta me. Then my mailbox got blown off its foundations. Again and again.

I've tried a couple other forums, but either they are snotty or ill attended or whatever -- just don't have the appeal.

I musty check this one like forty times a day.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    GOOGLE.......I lurked here for a while before I participated....I had been ordering from Ccom before I found the forum.