Home Cigar 101
Options

New guy to the Forum with a Question

Hi...Been lurking around for a while and need help. I have a humi with drawers and a door. It's been working really well until the change of seasons here in NY.(spring to summer). I opened the bottom drawer today and found a definite mold growing in patches on the bottom and ventilation slots. Humidity has been in the 65-70 range until the season turned to summer, then shot up to 80. I opened the door to let it settle, but apparently too late. How can I save the humidor? I really like the humi and would hate to toss it.

Comments

• Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    My advice: wipe down all cigars and bag them up with humi packs temporarily or start a coolerdor or tupperdor. Wipe the inside of the humi with rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) or ethanol to kill off all the mold and let that air dry. Of course you'll have to re-season it, but at least it'll be ok. If you notice any mold after the rubbing alcohol dries, go over those spots with a fine grain sand paper and then hit it with alcohol again.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Where in New York are you? I had similar issues in that it got rather hot, rather quickly. Air conditioning is your best friend; if you lack that, a cool basement, so long as you use a dehumidifier.
  • Options
    I'm from Queens. I'll try the basement for now, it's not A/C weather just yet. The alcohol seems to have done the trick. Thanks guys for the quick replies.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    id also go with heartfelt humidity beads. that will keep your RH a bit more under control.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    id also go with heartfelt humidity beads. that will keep your RH a bit more under control.

I'm a Kuzi follower. I'm going to go ahead and second the heartfelt beads. I was rummaging through my humi's and was putting some more sticks in my que box, which lasted longer than I expected. My humidification device before would have never recovered from my prolonged rummage. But my heartfelt beads brought the humidity back up to 65% by morning. I have the 65% beads charged about 50%, they do all the work for me.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    nightmaremike31:
    kuzi16:

I'm a Kuzi follower. I'm going to go ahead and second the heartfelt beads. I was rummaging through my humi's and was putting some more sticks in my que box, which lasted longer than I expected. My humidification device before would have never recovered from my prolonged rummage. But my heartfelt beads brought the humidity back up to 65% by morning. I have the 65% beads charged about 50%, they do all the work for me.

Or the Boveda Packs. No charging or anything just drop them and forget them. They will be a little more expensive than the beads in the long run but being lazy I'm always willing to buy myself outta a little extra work :)
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I like the heartfelt beads. I have a big humidor, with a pound and a half of beads in it. I also have a Humi-care that broke down over the holiday weekend and did not run at all. The beads did the trick without help and kept humidity at a constant 67%.