Home General Discussion
Options

Verdadero OSG, has anyone tried these?

C-LOVEC-LOVE Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭
Everytime I get on this sight, I see the picture in the new arrivals and always stop and think about ordering some. I didn't see any threads in the review section. Would like to hear from someone who's tried them

Comments

• Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Great smoke. Not sure if anyone is aware but Silvio Reyes, the owner of Elba cigar in granda died in 2012 for surgical complications. A real loss for the industry. He blended the first verdadero. The OSG was the last blend he made and is exceptional. I have yet to hear a bad comment. Draw is a little tight on account of all the leaves in the blend but it really is a fine work of blending. He will be missed.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Personally I am not fan of any Silvio's blend. I believe his best blend is the Mombacho cigar. Mombacho brand is owned by a Canadian guy.
  • Options
    timbtimb Posts: 353 ✭✭✭
    Smoked a Verdadero OSG last night.  Medium-bodied.  Started out lighter than expected but really builds in body and intensity as it burns.  Love its "baking bread" aroma.    Balanced, not too sweet - not too spicy. Has a "chewy" quality to the smoke.  Paired nicely with Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.  Definitely a winner.  Dry-boxed for a few days prior to smoking. 
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Beard approved. I was eyeing them in new arrivals after reading this, wrapper looks pretty awesome. Going to add a few singles to my next order, whenever I get some bills paid off this month.
  • Options
    timb:
    Smoked a Verdadero OSG last night.  Medium-bodied.  Started out lighter than expected but really builds in body and intensity as it burns.  Love its "baking bread" aroma.    Balanced, not too sweet - not too spicy. Has a "chewy" quality to the smoke.  Paired nicely with Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.  Definitely a winner.  Dry-boxed for a few days prior to smoking. 
    Thanks for the info Timb. Next time I order I think I'm gonna grab a couple.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    THE BEARD!
  • Options
    JZerbyJZerby Posts: 122
    Bought a box and a single. I love the original and when I heard about this I put in an order right away. I'm gonna light it up with some buddies on Thursday evening. I'll post my newbie thoughts on it then.
  • Options
    JZerbyJZerby Posts: 122
    So I lit up the OSG tonight, and, I gotta say, it is a lot better than the original Verdadero. I really like the original, but this one adds something to it that kicks it up a few. It's a bit stronger, but not overly so. I'd say it falls in the medium range as far as body. I do recommend some age, though. It tasted a bit harsh. It smoothed out about half-way through (I had the robusto). Good smoke, though, and probably better with age. I have a box so I'll be letting those rest a while to see if I'm right.
  • Options
    JZerby:
    So I lit up the OSG tonight, and, I gotta say, it is a lot better than the original Verdadero. I really like the original, but this one adds something to it that kicks it up a few. It's a bit stronger, but not overly so. I'd say it falls in the medium range as far as body. I do recommend some age, though. It tasted a bit harsh. It smoothed out about half-way through (I had the robusto). Good smoke, though, and probably better with age. I have a box so I'll be letting those rest a while to see if I'm right.
    Thanks for the review JZerby, I just placed an order and added one of these to it. I'm excited to try it out.
  • Options
    TexvetTexvet Posts: 39
    I purchased a 5 pk of the regular Verdadero and the OSG Verdadero. They were/are hard as a rock. They will be resting in the humidor until tenderized enough to try and smoke them. If that doesn't work, I can always use them for tent stakes!!
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been intrigued by these ever since I read an article( forget who by) but he loved them so much he made a trip just to see where they came from and hopefully meet the man behind the blend.