Home Non Cigar Related
Options

My neighbors are awesome!

danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just a little something I thought I'd share.
This pass weekend I found out my neighbors 2 houses down are hardcore beer brewers. From time to time I thought they were frying turkeys and I said to myself "they sure do fry a lot of turkeys." Ha!
Here are a few pics of their garage. (pics only show half of all the gizmos and gadgets that they actually have in there) Talk about a chemistry set.
I don't think anyone realizes how happy this makes me. Craft beer hookups = Happy effin Face!
photo D7824F9A-orig.jpg
photo 85BCBFA1-orig.jpg
photo 4BE51A1B-orig.jpg
"It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Kegs and fermenters, swamp coolers and blow-off tubes, but . . . where's the Star-San and PBW?!

Also, I'll fight you for that Black Rye IIPA

• Options
    xmacro:
    Kegs and fermenters, swamp coolers and blow-off tubes, but . . . where's the Star-San and PBW?!

Also, I'll fight you for that Black Rye IIPA

What are those exactly? They sound like sanitary cleaning stuff. If it is, they had all kinds of cleaning components and doohickies to my right. If not then I apologize for my lack of brewery knowledge :)
  • Options
    Bingo - PBW is a cleaner (amazing stuff) and Star-San is a sanitizer (highly acidic, but safe to drink - go figure). PBW cleans out the gunk and grime, while Star-San disinfects all the containers before the wort comes into contact with them, preventing infection (which in turn causes off-flavors - no bacteria that can survive in beer are harmful)

You should know that most home brewers also love to drink store-bought indie beer (see the big Stone sticker on the fridge? Great company that makes an awesome IPA), and they'd likely love it if you brought some (note: they will lynch you if you bring them Mlller, Coors or Budweiser, or anything that tastes like watered down piss). Hell, they may even let you use their gear if you ever got the itch to buy a beer kit and start brewing. From the looks of it, they're doing 5 gallon batches; you could buy a $30 or $40 extract kit off Northern Brewer or MidWest Supplies and brew something yourself.
  • Options
    xmacro:
    Bingo - PBW is a cleaner (amazing stuff) and Star-San is a sanitizer (highly acidic, but safe to drink - go figure). PBW cleans out the gunk and grime, while Star-San disinfects all the containers before the wort comes into contact with them, preventing infection (which in turn causes off-flavors - no bacteria that can survive in beer are harmful)

You should know that most home brewers also love to drink store-bought indie beer (see the big Stone sticker on the fridge? Great company that makes an awesome IPA), and they'd likely love it if you brought some (note: they will lynch you if you bring them Mlller, Coors or Budweiser, or anything that tastes like watered down piss). Hell, they may even let you use their gear if you ever got the itch to buy a beer kit and start brewing. From the looks of it, they're doing 5 gallon batches; you could buy a $30 or $40 extract kit off Northern Brewer or MidWest Supplies and brew something yourself.
    You sound sound like a man who's done this quite a few times before.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I reeeaaallllyy gotta get myself an all-grain and kegging setup like that.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    xmacro:

You sound sound like a man who's done this quite a few times before.
    A few times; less than I want to. Hang out on a few brewing forums and you pick up a bunch of knowledge real quick; brew a few batches and it all makes sense and you want to know more. Rinse and repeat a few times and you find it's a really fun hobby
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Damn Dan! Thats what I am talking about. I got a buddy who works in a Budweiser brewery and I tell ya every party, we already who knows who is bringing the beer, not only domestic but he and his buddies at work brew as well so it is always a good time. The other thing is if those neighbors are Niner Fans then it really is a double bonus. Enjoy!
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Making me thirsty.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Just finished brewing a Porter with a 2 gallon kit. Quite easy. You can buy the extract/wort in quart sized containers, add a little water and yeast. Voila! Not bad. I'm starting to collect the necessary equipment to start making my own mash. Its' just like any hobby. But with today's resources', (utube, videos, books, forums, brew shops, etc) it isn't too difficult to gain the knowledge. And drinking your own beer is just cool.
  • Options
    Bombay:
    Damn Dan! Thats what I am talking about. I got a buddy who works in a Budweiser brewery and I tell ya every party, we already who knows who is bringing the beer, not only domestic but he and his buddies at work brew as well so it is always a good time. The other thing is if those neighbors are Niner Fans then it really is a double bonus. Enjoy!
    They are Charger fans lol
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Heck Yes... and xmacro I agree with the watered down goat piss (Buttwiper, Coors, Miller, etc.) and since beer is the topic of the night here... Shiner Hefeweizen is dying currently... soon to be followed by the Shiner Black.