Home General Discussion

does this happen to you?

twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
ran some errands today with the wife.hit the liquor store on the way home for some after dinner refreshments.walked around there walk in humidor for awhile.it was nicely stocked just nothing grabbed my attention walked out empty handed and a little sad... anybody else ever have that happen?
no matter where you go, there you are.

Comments

• musicman3musicman3 Posts: 622
    Nope!! Lol. I have the opposite problem. I can never leave empty handed.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    wait, your liquor store has a walk in humi?
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a bad habit of making it a habit to buy something just to support the B&M.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happens to me all the time. Especially when I see a lot of places prices.
    Although the local B&M I have a hard time leaving without buying something.
    More out of loyalty than what I need.
    Then again, he always keeps the 1916s stocked for me and I always need those. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Yes...
  • biodarwinbiodarwin Posts: 265 ✭✭
    Martel:

One of the liquor stores here as a walk-in. It is the closest we have to a B&M.
  • ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    I have a bad habit of making it a habit to buy something just to support the B&M.
    this. I feel compelled to pick up something. Even if I can't find anything that really grabs me. I feel bad for them if I don't support somehow. This is why I am often found rambling around for extended amounts if time until I tell myself "grab SOMETHING!"
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ehehat:
    danielzreyes:
    this. I feel compelled to pick up something. Even if I can't find anything that really grabs me. I feel bad for them if I don't support somehow. This is why I am often found rambling around for extended amounts if time until I tell myself "grab SOMETHING!"
    you get an oil change yet? lol
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    ehehat:
    danielzreyes:
    you get an oil change yet? lol
    I did but it was HARD! All I kept thinking was "do you know how many cigars I could buy with this?" Lol
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Yes. The Liquor store near me that sells cigars usually has "middle of the road" stuff at outrageous prices. I just can't do it.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Every time I go into a new B&M, I make myself buy something. More often than not, every place has Fuente and Padron, so I can always grab something from them. I can't bring myself to walk around a humidor and not leave with something.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    SleevePlz:
    danielzreyes:
    Every time I go into a new B&M, I make myself buy something. More often than not, every place has Fuente and Padron, so I can always grab something from them. I can't bring myself to walk around a humidor and not leave with something.
    Yea, me too, even if it's only a couple Oliva V's. I almost feel obligated to help them stay in business. There's one B & M that I will buy boxes from occasionally because he does a good business, and because I like the guy.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    twistedstem:
    ran some errands today with the wife.hit the liquor store on the way home for some after dinner refreshments.walked around there walk in humidor for awhile.it was nicely stocked just nothing grabbed my attention walked out empty handed and a little sad... anybody else ever have that happen?
    no

i just wish i had this magic liquor store cigar shop you speak of........that would kill 2 birds with one stone.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, this happens to me a lot. I've been to a lot of cigar stores that have a fairly mediocre selection for premium prices. I can't do it. I'll pay for something that I want but I'm not leaving with a $13 Padilla Miami.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    ABC Liquor stores in FL, good chain-----most have a walk in Humi. Some with regual blah stuff, and some Ive seen Anejos, Padrion Anny's, ect. Nice liquor store and Im thinking its the one he is referring to.
  • Tyland64Tyland64 Posts: 712
    Most of the liquor stores in my area have the small counter top humidors with over priced low to middle class sticks. We have a chain tabacco store with a walk in that I use when I get the CAO flavors for my wife. ( yes she smokes with me and not just flavors). I look for new releases or singles for special events when I go there. My local owned store has gone down hill since the law changed but I still try to support him. He is fair on box orders with me. I like supporting my locals but its difficult at times
    http://www.liquorbarnbeers.com/smokeshop.htm

We have two of these Liquor Barns, and three independent cigar shops in my area. They all have walk in humidors.

• macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Well since the thread has found a way to wander, I will answer with a no. I make it a point to visit the B&Ms in the area (there are just a few) and most of them are connected to a liquor store. As I know what I like, I am still learning what cigars are in that tract of cigar land. Thus I tend to visit my B&M several times a week. Not a bad thing though.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Vulchor:
    ABC Liquor stores in FL, good chain-----most have a walk in Humi. Some with regual blah stuff, and some Ive seen Anejos, Padrion Anny's, ect. Nice liquor store and Im thinking its the one he is referring to.
    im definitely going to miss those now that im back in GA, they always seemed to have a decent sale going on!
    Here where i am we have a store that sells all the wine, liquor and beer you could wish for plus it has a walk in humidor. The local b&m i frequent also sells beer and wine but no hard liquor. Is this not a common thing throughout the U.S.?
    musicman3:
    Here where i am we have a store that sells all the wine, liquor and beer you could wish for plus it has a walk in humidor. The local b&m i frequent also sells beer and wine but no hard liquor. Is this not a common thing throughout the U.S.?

Nope. In TN, it is against the law to sell beer in the same store as liquor and wine. No wine at the grocery, but beer is okay. Does that make sense? I can get beer in the grocery store, but not wine to go with dinner? I guess I could understand no hard liquor at the grocery story, but if they allow beer, why not wine? And why can't I get beer at the liquor store? I can buy some malted beverages at the liquor store; why not beer?

I'm not a big drinker, but we do like wine. Since I can't get it when I just run to the store, I've found one place to go with a great wine selection. They take care of me, so maybe they'd take care of me by adding a humi! I'll have to ask.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    yes yes it does.actually both i go to have them.total wine and abc liquor both have walk in humis
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Oh there's been plenty of times that I've gone into a walk in humidor and came out with nothing. Though 75% of the time it's because I don't have the money for anything. But sometimes nothing catches your eye. Especially if that vendor hasn't changed their selection up for a while.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    all the time. i have little room and i am thus very picky. unless its a-w-e and then some im outta there empty handed.
    Martel:
    musicman3:

Nope. In TN, it is against the law to sell beer in the same store as liquor and wine. No wine at the grocery, but beer is okay. Does that make sense? I can get beer in the grocery store, but not wine to go with dinner? I guess I could understand no hard liquor at the grocery story, but if they allow beer, why not wine? And why can't I get beer at the liquor store? I can buy some malted beverages at the liquor store; why not beer?

I'm not a big drinker, but we do like wine. Since I can't get it when I just run to the store, I've found one place to go with a great wine selection. They take care of me, so maybe they'd take care of me by adding a humi! I'll have to ask.
    That's pretty interesting. I think Indiana may be kinda like that. I know there is no alcohol sale on Sundays there. I also have noticed I haven't ever seen a drive thru anywhere other than ohio either.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm way too compulsive not too buy anything even if ill never smoke it...usually ill just give it away
    Money can't buy taste
    musicman3:
    Martel:
    musicman3:

That's pretty interesting. I think Indiana may be kinda like that. I know there is no alcohol sale on Sundays there. I also have noticed I haven't ever seen a drive thru anywhere other than ohio either.
    Since the concept of "blue laws" is irrational, it's logical that the application of them would also be irrational. That set-up in Tennessee is bizarre. Face it, most teenagers aren't going for the Oregon Pino; they want the cheap beer, but puting beer in the grocery should make it more accessable than wine ..... go figure.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    musicman3:
    There is no law, but i haven't seen one yet.

We have a chain of liquor stores called Dirt Cheap which are the majority of the liquor stores and they only carry machine mades. Even some of the small mom and pop liquor shops don't have them.

The B&M that i go to has a bar, but nothing like what you are talking about.
    musicman3:

I moved to TN from IN. No sales on Sunday there, but you can buy beer and wine at the grocery store, but you couldn't buy the beer cold. I never frequented liquor stores there, so I don't really know what the situation is, except they're trying to open-up the liquor laws and allow Sunday sales and maybe cold beer purchases.

We almost took a job in a dry county in Arkansas. Now that would have been weird.

Martel:
    musicman3:

I moved to TN from IN. No sales on Sunday there, but you can buy beer and wine at the grocery store, but you couldn't buy the beer cold. I never frequented liquor stores there, so I don't really know what the situation is, except they're trying to open-up the liquor laws and allow Sunday sales and maybe cold beer purchases.

We almost took a job in a dry county in Arkansas. Now that would have been weird.
    The first time I bought beer in Indiana I was floored when it was not cold lol.