Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Viaje Super Shot 12ga. BigT's point of view...

BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
Huge thanks to Phil for sending me this great cigar to try!!

So... everything you've already heard about the VSS 12ga is right. The review on halfwheel is spot on, and unlike me, they are pros, so give that review a read.

Prelight: This cigar smells great. STRONG leather aroma, with a bit of earth, and a "dampness" that is hard to describe... but I **** you not, the cigar smells "wet". I lick of the cap renders more of the leather, earthiness, and a bit of spice that is quite typically Nicaraguan (even though it's made in Honduras).

1st half: LEATHER. Lots of it. It honestly tastes like you have a piece of rawhide in your mouth while you're smoking. Not unpleasant, but very dominating to the profile. The black pepper is clearly there, as is a bit or rawness that's hard to describe. It's almost like a touch of medicinal herbal tea that you don't really wanna drink, but isn't that bad when you finally do drink it. There is also a bit of what I'd call "burnt cookie". It's kinda like the oven was too hot and the bittersweet chocolate didn't melt properly, and the edges of the cookie got burnt. That sounds weird, but if you process it, I think you know what I'm talking about.

2nd half: The dominant leather and earth stay the same. The cigar gets sweeter as it also gets stronger, which is a weird sensation. There is a charred element to it kinda like the burnt end off a rack of ribs with sweet bar-be-que that is recognizable, and enjoyable, but again it is a bit of a surprise. The quality of the cigar is apparent, as the burn and draw are perfect, despite the tiny size. I am enjoying the cigar, and the strength once again ramps up as it approaches the nub.

Final thoughts: Leather. Lots and lots of leather. If that's not a taste note you enjoy, don't bother with this cigar. Plus it is strong. I put it firmly in the full bodied category. All flavors, be it the molasses sweetness, to the charred element, to the earthiness are always back seat to the leather. This is not a bad thing, but it is certainly a cigar blended for an experienced enthusiast with particular tastes. Personally, I toothpicked it.

Bottom Line: This is not a cigar for everyone, and it is not intended to be. Sadly, more fanboys got these than actual smokers who will enjoy them... which is a shame, and kinda a staple for Viaje products. While this cigar will NEVER compete with the Ora line, or other top products from Viaje, it certainly has it's place for people looking for this profile. At roughly a dollar per 5 mins of smoking there are many, many smokes I like better than this one. BUT, if a strong, leathery cigar is what you want, this would def be a go to. Worth trying for any full bodied enthusiast. I would call it a 8.5 all things considered.

photo 2013-01-22_01-56-52_0.jpg

Comments

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I friggin love those things... Cannot get enough of them, and luckily a few BOTL got me some after i gave a ton away since i loved them so much. Now I am going to have to smoke one to compare notes...maybe tonight lol. The only bad part is it is definitely a toothpick cigar being it is so small, but they easily get an hour.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Thank you Todd for the review and for your fingernails,,;o)
  • Options
    The Kid:
    todd has arguably te best hand model pose in his pics lol
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    The Kid:
    it cracks me up that you say that... my hands are actually so big that I have a hard time holding cigars in a way that I can snap a good pic of them... hense the reason my hands always look "posed" lmao. But no, I do not pay for manicures or anything like that... I just take good care of my hands...

But back to the cigar... Dustin, I am really interested in seeing you review this as well so we can compare notes. I am curious if you pick up the leather and earth as dominantly as I did. The cigar had several dif flavors and even a couple transitions, but the leather was in my face the whole smoke.
  • Options
    BigT06:
    catfishbluezz:
    The Kid:
    it cracks me up that you say that... my hands are actually so big that I have a hard time holding cigars in a way that I can snap a good pic of them... hense the reason my hands always look "posed" lmao. But no, I do not pay for manicures or anything like that... I just take good care of my hands...

But back to the cigar... Dustin, I am really interested in seeing you review this as well so we can compare notes. I am curious if you pick up the leather and earth as dominantly as I did. The cigar had several dif flavors and even a couple transitions, but the leather was in my face the whole smoke.
    will do, I have two left and been meaning to fire one up as they are gettig released again.
  • Options
    Awesome, Dustin. Looking forward to your write up.

I'm also looking forward to trying a fresh one. The one I smoked had 10 months on it and it was still not married very well. Fresh and oily they will either be awesome, or totally unbalanced. Sometimes I like fresh, strong flavors to all stand out and be easily recognized (even at the cost of balance and consistency), but I thought 10 months would tame this one a little bit, especially with the leather. 10 months is still relatively young though, so it could have been in a weird transitional age period.
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Think I got couple 12's n 10's left going to have to dig em out!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    I'd say your 1st half is spot on dude. Love the Burnt cookie note, totally there lol
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    I'd say your 1st half is spot on dude. Love the Burnt cookie note, totally there lol
    second half is spot on as well, especially the sweetness and strength picking up. I'd say you nailed it, other then I'd say it's a cigar everyone should try! I'm not a huge leather or full body fan, but I love this blend and wish they'd do different vitolas. It's the only viaje I like, and the finish is excellent.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    catfishbluezz:
    second half is spot on as well, especially the sweetness and strength picking up. I'd say you nailed it, other then I'd say it's a cigar everyone should try! I'm not a huge leather or full body fan, but I love this blend and wish they'd do different vitolas. It's the only viaje I like, and the finish is excellent.
    I appreciate you weighing in on this one. I totally agree that more vitolas would be great. Especially considering the fact that there are genuine flavor transitions even in this tiny format. I think a small perfecto would be boss in this blend.

And if it's smoked slowly, like I did and I'm sure you did too, it can easily last 45 min to an hour. That makes it fairly well priced if you can get em at MSRP.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if CCOM will be getting any of these in ....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jeep edsonjeep edson Posts: 826
    great write up. another cigar i can't get ahold of. just what i need. hahah