Home Cigar 101

Tubos

nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
So I was thinking today of getting a couple of RyJ tubos I've been eying at the B&M and haven't had in awhile, but the last time I had some I didn't have a humi and was smoking them fast enough it didn't matter. My question is, how do they stay humid in those tubes at the B&M, and what should I do when I bring them home? Take them out? Leave them be?

Comments

• Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    I usually take them out of the tubes only because I don't have a huge humi and space is a bit of a commodity. I have seen pictures on this board of guys leaving them in the tube, so I don't think it's a big deal unless they are flavored cigars.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im not sure how long they last in the tubes. cant help you there

my thought on should you take them out is this:
    they put them in there for a reason. I usually wont buy a tubo unless i know that it has not been opened. they age very slowly in the tube. i let em sit. i have a few that are 3-4 years old now. maybe in 5-6 years ill crack em open.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering if it's gimmicky.. I mean yeah they are sealed, have some cedar around them but do they really make a difference? I've had a couple that were a bit tastier than the regular line but maybe it was do to the cedar? Maybe it's a mental thing, to be honest I really don't know. Alex might know, wish he'd chime in.
  • leonardleonard Posts: 359
    I take the cap off the tube and put them in the humi.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    phobicsquirrel:
    I'm wondering if it's gimmicky.. I mean yeah they are sealed, have some cedar around them but do they really make a difference? I've had a couple that were a bit tastier than the regular line but maybe it was do to the cedar? Maybe it's a mental thing, to be honest I really don't know. Alex might know, wish he'd chime in.
    I don't notice any difference in taste. I always thought it was just for protective purposes. I often buy tubos if I'm taking smokes golfing, to a sporting event, etc. They hold up better in my pocket that way. That's my only thought on the matter.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Im thinking tubos are for folks that dont have humidors. The tubes will keep the cigars humid for a longer period of time. Im not sure how long though. A friend of mine keeps tubos on hand for about 45 days and says cigar 1 out of the box is the same as cigar 30.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    leonard:
    I take the cap off the tube and put them in the humi.

I have 2 tubed RyJ's that I take the cap off aswell, just because I don't have any extra corona size cello's. I could just put them in to a robusto cello, but if I pull it out of the tube... I'm gonna light it up and I'm trying to age them for a while.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have several tubes that I put in the humidor as I have the room right now. I leave the caps on, but my question is: with the cap on, does it make a difference if I put them in the humi or not? Does the humidified air make a difference if the cap is on or should I at least remove the caps?
    YankeeMan:
    with the cap on, does it make a difference if I put them in the humi or not? Does the humidified air make a difference if the cap is on or should I at least remove the caps?
    yes it does. there is way less air exchange with tubos. they age much slower.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    So the tobacco will mellow slower as well?
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I have no idea, i err on the side of caution, all of my tubos i never open until ready to smoke and they reside in a tupperdor with a boveda pack(which lasts for a looooong time in a tupperdor w/ just tubos), never once had a problem.