Home General Discussion

thought on electronic humidifiers

ive considered buying one. thought, pros and cons , anyone have experience with them?

Comments

• ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    there are a couple of guys on here that use them. I couldnt get over the upfront cost then Catfish turned me on to kitty litter. Now that stuff has stability.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I use gel and boveda with computer fans...works just fine and doesn't cost much at all
    Money can't buy taste
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a big cabinet humi (and the cash to spend on one), I'd say you better get an electronic humidifier. Because if you can afford the cabinet humi, and the cigars to fill it - I'd spend a couple hundred bucks to "protect your investment" and get an electric humidifier.
    I've heard good things about Cigar Oasis, but don't have any personal experience with them.

But if your humidor has 250ish cigars or less, I'd say you probably don't need one. Just open the lid every every week to get some "fresh air" in it and you'll be fine.

But if you got a big old coolidor, and are trying to work on a smaller budget, Lee's suggestion is spot on.
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I use gel and boveda with computer fans...works just fine and doesn't cost much at all
    I think a couple BOTLs have rigged up something like this for their coolidors, and used a timer so the fans aren't running constantly.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    What if you're building your own walk in humidor??

"Long ashes my friends."

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    What if you're building your own walk in humidor??
    Then you're too awesome .... and I'm jealous :-D

But idk, best guesses would be --- 1) cheap route, buy 1 or 2 of those "room humidifiers" from a store like Home Depot and just have patience while you get the humidity set right.
    2) Or find a large, commercial grade, cigar specific humidifier, like a B&M would use. No idea where you'd find that though.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    If you are considering a diablo humi or something that size, you are way over-killing it with an electronic humidifier. Plus its just going to take up all the room for your cigars. Even in dry areas beads or litter pearls or even a few gel jars will be sufficient. Just get it seasoned and stable at 65 to 68rh before you put your cigars in and you will have very few issues.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Electric unit is the best money I ever spent. Several years ago I changed my philosophy on aging realizing that consistent humidity is the single most important thing. At least a consistent RH. The cigars need a stable environment regardless of what RH you prefer and I noticed a huge difference. The active nature of the electric units is really ideal IMHO. Plus it is a life saver when the heat kicks on in the winter. Love the set and forget nature of the deal.
  • I agree Alex. I have 2 100 boxes with a cigar oasis ultra in each. Just love the consistency of the RH. My smokes draw and burn perfectly for me.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    Electric unit is the best money I ever spent. Several years ago I changed my philosophy on aging realizing that consistent humidity is the single most important thing. At least a consistent RH. The cigars need a stable environment regardless of what RH you prefer and I noticed a huge difference. The active nature of the electric units is really ideal IMHO. Plus it is a life saver when the heat kicks on in the winter. Love the set and forget nature of the deal.
    +1
    I have a tower humi and luckily, the electronic unit came with it.
    I like the set it and forget it feel of it. It has a little alarm on it when it gets low on water, so it lets me know when I have to do something.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • They are great. I use the Hydro in my cabinet with great results. You must remember to change out the sponge annually to avoid any mold issues.
  • Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    I have a "tower of power" cabinet humidor that is over 6 feet tall. I use a hydra xl in the top with a hydra sm and one pound of heartfelt beads. Protest your investment. I love mine.
  • greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    I use a Moist-N-Aire in my cabinet. I have about 1200 cigars in the cabinet. I have 2lbs of beads at the top. Rock steady at 69*. I love it......