Home Non Cigar Related

FLU

prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
Anyone else got this m**thfckr? Hit me like a ton of bricks Sunday night. Came home from hockey game feeling fine, next thing I know, I'm on my A** feeling like death.

Slept 24 hours in last 2 days, and still cant shake it.

WTF?

Comments

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh huh HELL yes on Saturday night..fever, chills, chest congestion....not good at all. Slowly, trying to recover...lots of time spent just staring into space.
  • musicman3musicman3 Posts: 622
    I had it not too long ago. Took me about 10 days to get rid of all symptoms. I probably should have gone to the Dr. Lol but I never did. And like you I slept a ton.
    musicman3:
    I had it not too long ago. Took me about 10 days to get rid of all symptoms. I probably should have gone to the Dr. Lol but I never did. And like you I slept a ton.
    I can't sleep...can't breathe....pretty miserable.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    had it last week.....still isn't gone

hit me on sunday and then out from work monday and tuesday, probably should have stayed home on wednesday, but went in and started feeling better on friday.

that upper respiratory congestion thing is still around and the doc said that can take up to 2 weeks to go away.......great! I'm so excited!
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Strangest thing for me is the pain. Every joint, my head, throat, even the roof of my mouth and gums. I feel like I got in the ring with Mike Tyson after being caught poking his wife.

The stuffiness and fogginess are just an added, miserable bonus.
    pross:
    Strangest thing for me is the pain. Every joint, my head, throat, even the roof of my mouth and gums. I feel like I got in the ring with Mike Tyson after being caught poking his wife.

yeah, that was a 3 day thing for me.
    brianetz1:
    pross:

Great weight loss method, don't feel like eating except chicken soup, water and hot tea w/honey
    Bigshizza:
    brianetz1:
    pross:

Great weight loss method, don't feel like eating except chicken soup, water and hot tea w/honey
    unfortunately mine didn't affect my ability to eat. Only thing that hurt me was my throat was a little sore from coughing so much. i still wanted food. Like ice cream, not a bag of chips.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    I got it here bad. Ache all over. Haven't left the house. Can't even muster the energy to argue on the gun control thread... going to die.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Well, I've been really lucky. The wife had it bad...took almost 2 weeks to get over it. I had to sleep elsewhere. Had a large family reunion over Christmas & two sisters, & two of their husbands, several of the adult children, and one cousin came down with it. Eight of the dumbasses I work with have it or are getting over it.

So far I haven't had it ..... yet.

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Just out of curiosity--did any of you who got the flu get flu shots this year?
    raisindot:
    I did not, and I haven't gotten sick yet.
    Hot Toddy

3 oz Bourbon of preference
    1 cup hot water
    1 small apple slice
    1 lemon slice
    1 tsp honey
    1 small cinnamon stick

Repeat over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    We've seen a lot of flu at the hospital I work at here in TN, Some cases were those who got the shot, and they weren't nearly as bad, still hospitalized mostly due to the fact that they were people with multiple other conditions and it didn't take much to tip them off the deep end. All of us who were immunized don't seem to be getting it, or are merely experiencing minor problems. This years flu is indeed a M%^&*(*&r.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I spent last night in the ER with my 87 year old mother. She wasn't oxygenating and breathing 40-50 breaths per minute. We got her on oxygen and started Tamiflu and Antibiotics. It was decided that she probably has viral pneumonia from the flu. When she settled down she was borderline with her O2 sats without oxygen in the ER. None of the hospitals in the area were accepting new patients. I took her home and we gave neb treatments every 4 hours to keep the chest congestion down.

Get this though, there WERE beds but they claimed they didn't have the staff to admit new patients overnight. She needed to be on oxygen and in the hospital last night. I don't have the words to express my utter disgust at a healthcare system that is run this way or at the insurance companies who are unwilling to pay providers of healthcare leaving facilities understaffed while they rake in record profits. Meanwhile we have had somewhere around 30 deaths in Minnesota this year attributed to the flu.
    Roberto99:
    I spent last night in the ER with my 87 year old mother. She wasn't oxygenating and breathing 40-50 breaths per minute. We got her on oxygen and started Tamiflu and Antibiotics. It was decided that she probably has viral pneumonia from the flu. When she settled down she was borderline with her O2 sats without oxygen in the ER. None of the hospitals in the area were accepting new patients. I took her home and we gave neb treatments every 4 hours to keep the chest congestion down.

Get this though, there WERE beds but they claimed they didn't have the staff to admit new patients overnight. She needed to be on oxygen and in the hospital last night. I don't have the words to express my utter disgust at a healthcare system that is run this way or at the insurance companies who are unwilling to pay providers of healthcare leaving facilities understaffed while they rake in record profits. Meanwhile we have had somewhere around 30 deaths in Minnesota this year attributed to the flu.
    When I hear of stories like this, I do a slow burn....for days. I sure hope she's doing OK.
    raisindot:
    I work in healthcare..so yes I did..but I think this a wacky viral strain
    Roberto99:

Oh yeah...working in hospitals they go by a formula BUT the severity of cases makes it a struggle to balance. They just won't bring in the extra help. It's very frustrating! You wouldn't want to disrupt their bonus payouts.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Heard the shot is only 60% effective this year...and it's a good year for the vaccine. We got hit here in my family pretty hard, but I'm treatable with OTC stuff. Wife got Tamiflu, daughter needed it, but didn't get to it in time. Son hasn't got it yet.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    I had the shot. Still sick.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope u all feel better fast, really sad stories. My wife says the flu shot only covers 3 strands of the flu, which she says there is a couple other strands that are showing up that are just not covered in the shot. It is really bad where she practices.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    My wife was told to take a week off work. So much for vacation time! She'd already used a couple of days and comes home from our anniversary to be sick. Cough and pain all over are the worst parts of this bug.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    I heard this story on NPR today. If any of you has a stomach "flu" with vomiting and diarrhea, it may be an brand new virus from Australia that is hitting the US pretty hard. It's called a "Norovirus".

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/01/25/170249648/new-norovirus-strain-rips-through-the-u-s