Home General Discussion

Beetles!?

Just was about to smoke a JDN Dark Corojo and slid the ban off to see this imageimage I just check all my other sticks and have found nothing. Most of mine are in cello but about 8 are not. Why only one? Did I maybe purchase it like this?

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    It's definitely possible it came like that. Since it was underneath the band it probably went unnoticed. I'd double check your humi again just to make sure you didn't miss it. Cello won't protect your cigars so check those, too.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you shred it open?, smoke it? ???
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    did you look at the back side of the band to see if the wrapper just got stuck to band. The hole is worrisome but may or may not be a beetle.. Smoke it ,
  • musicman3musicman3 Posts: 622
    Well I just finished looking through all the sticks I have again and all are fine. Also managed to dump a ton of beads all over my floor. Currently banging my head against the wall. I have not lit it up or split it open. I'm not going to smoke it as I lit up a different stick. Not sure what to do with it.
    The Kid:
    did you look at the back side of the band to see if the wrapper just got stuck to band. The hole is worrisome but may or may not be a beetle.. Smoke it ,
    I looked at the band. There was a little bit there but not enough to make me believe it just stuck to the band when I pulled it off.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I had a case like this in the past where one stick had one or two holes in it from beetles. Being new at the time I didn't realize that beetles had caused it, but I do remember it having the hole when I got the shipment. It was only after sparking up and seeing a small white thing crawling out did I realize what it was. The cigar had been in my humidor for a couple of months before smoking so I got lucky that they didn't move to any other sticks.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    That looks pretty clear to me to be beetle damage. I had a box of Hoyo Petit Robustos come in last summer with one under the band like that. It looked exactly the same, one deep hole and then wrapper damage where it clearly looks like it was eaten in patterns like that. Good thing for you it sounds like no other sticks are contaminated, but I would freeze my entire stash just to be safe. And its most likely that it came shipped to you like that from a hot summer shipment or something.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I went to a Fuente dinner hosted by JRs. Got a package of Fuente stuff. One cigar had a definite beetle hole. Checked te others. All seemed ok except I didn't remove bands. Smoked ok though. Not bitter and it was only one hole so maybe it had started to get eaten up and then the beetle died or was frozen.
    I have come to the final thought that I had purchased this cigar like this. I'm not going to freeze my other cigars. Hopefully this was just a scare, and a scare it was lol.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    musicman3:
    I have come to the final thought that I had purchased this cigar like this. I'm not going to freeze my other cigars. Hopefully this was just a scare, and a scare it was lol.
    Just keep a good eye on your stash and check it regularly. The first sign of any other outbreak you know to freeze. You should be safe though.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I would quarantine the stick for a little while and see if any other holes or beetles show themselves. This way you know whether or not you should smoke the cigar without destroying it to investigate. If no other activity shows itself after a while go ahead and smoke it. If activity kicks up it is probably full of beetles which would be absolutely disgusting to smoke.
    I have it isolated in a zip lock bag. I was too nervous about putting it back in the humi. I will most definitely be keeping a eye on my sticks. Even if nothing new comes up I will still be nervous to smoke it.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just smoke it.
    Little buggers just pop and crackle a little as you smoke them up. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    musicman3:
    I'm with you on thos one. I am crossing my fingers and knocking on wood, Eighteen years of collecting cigars and never one beetle problem. Lucky? maybe. I thinks it is more proper care, quality control on the manufacturers part, and a close eye on what I house in my humidor. One time I obtained some fresh rolled while in Florida, and kept them in isolation for their entire life. Never froze a single one, unless I forgot it in the car.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    Just smoke it.
    Little buggers just pop and crackle a little as you smoke them up. LOL!
    +1 lol, Yup I love the popping sound and smell of beetles being roasted in the morning.