Home Cigar 101
Options

Storing an open Boveda pack

JZerbyJZerby Posts: 122
You know how Boveda packs are in those sealed plastic pouches when you get them and they stay fresh that way until you're ready to use them? Once you open that (let's say you stick one in a bag and send it with some cigars or get one yourself with some sticks), can you stick it in a ziploc bag and store it or, once open, do they just release their moisture dry out no matter what?

Comments

• Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Well if its in a sealed plastic bag it will bring up that ambient rh to setpoint and stop. So if its a small bag, it won't release much moisture. Boveda are "2 way" so they give off and absorb. On a side note, this is how I just started recharging the 2 69 bovedas I got from bombs. Just put them in a plastic sandwich bag with an open jar of distilled water, and thye puff back up and absorb moisture to be used again.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I personally put them in a ziplock freezer bag and put that bag seal in my cooler...it seems to work just fine
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blurr:
    Well if its in a sealed plastic bag it will bring up that ambient rh to setpoint and stop. So if its a small bag, it won't release much moisture. Boveda are "2 way" so they give off and absorb. On a side note, this is how I just started recharging the 2 69 bovedas I got from bombs. Just put them in a plastic sandwich bag with an open jar of distilled water, and thye puff back up and absorb moisture to be used again.
    i didn't know they could be recharged. That would definately make them more economical.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    blurr:
    i didn't know they could be recharged. That would definately make them more economical.
    i always put them in with either beads or gel...they last forever that way!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Rhamlin:
    blurr:
    i always put them in with either beads or gel...they last forever that way!!

It can take awhile, but they definitely can be recharged and reused several times, maybe indefinitely. I've recharged mine 3 times so far and it seems to work fine. I just use them as spares to supplement my beads/litter pearls.

It can also take a week or 2 to get them charged up well. You figure the humidity in the bag has to get above setpoint, so 69+ before they start absorbing. My 69rh bags take about a week and a half to get charged up.
  • Options
    Sweetleaf69Sweetleaf69 Posts: 43
    Cool thread. Once I open the pack I drop the rest into a Ball jar and seal 'til I need another. Didn't know about the recharging either....
  • Options
    With Boveda its kinda like the way no cellphone designer would ever admit he designs a product to basically have a lifespan of a few years. Sure they could make phones last 10 years, it doesn't make any sense financially for them though, when you have people buying a new product every 2 years. Boveda I'm guessing is the same, they don't advertise they can be recharged because well....you wouldn't buy them every month. But they can.
  • Options
    gio164gio164 Posts: 180
    blurr:
    They do recharge after a couple of weeks with distilled water in a zip lock bag but they don't seem to last as long as a new pack does.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm sure this has something to do with whatever humidity regulation chemical they are using. I haven't looked into it, but you know how if you use a foam humidifier with propylene glycol you need to replenish it every few refills? Whatever they use to regulate the discharge or recharge flow most likely dissipates over time. But I know at least up to the third recharge they work. Of course I'm using them in tandem with beads so maybe I'm wrong. I don't get paid to design humidity regulation systems, but maybe someday...
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With re-charging Bovedas..... If the bag gets moisture in/on it is it ok? I left it too close to a heating vent... on a table.... but above it. Clean ziplock, distilled water.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump
  • Options
    TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

good info, was looking for this