Home General Discussion
Options

salt test

so I was salt testing my new hygro today and realized again how much I hate the salt test. It's so subjective. All of the instructions say to put some salt and a few drops of water, but not too much. Why can't they be more specific. For example, 1/2 teaspoon salt with 5 drops of water...Damp salt is such a relative term, so I can't tell if I have enough water per salt...I know this is a Sienfeld thing to comment on, but it really annoys me! /end rant...

Comments

• Options
    MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    I SHARE YOUR PAIN MAN!
    Hell, even drops is a tad too nonspecific for me. I'd love for someone to say "1 tablespoon for a quarter cup of salt" or something. I'd use a lot of salt, but at least I'd be sure the ratio was right.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭

I'm new to this whole thing, so thanks for bringing up a topic for me to research.  I didn't know most hydrometers were that far off.

Here's what I found:

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/html/cig101_12st.asp

• Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    see, that's still really vague...damp salt, but not sloppy doesn't tell me how much to put in!
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I would think just enough to where the salt absorbs the water and there is no standing water. Think Paste.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Like clearlysuspect said - just no standing water. Ever been to the beach and walked along the surf? Just like the sand if you pick up a handful - it's wet but you don't see any water if you swirl it around; just wet, damp salt
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I can agree the salt test is somewhat a trial and error, but just what they said:

Maybe some personal experience can help out. I used an evion water bottle cap and then put salt in it maybe 3/4 full. I ran the water and put my finger in the water and let it drip off my finger into the salt. Once done I noticed that I had a little too much water (I could see some oversaturation) so I added more salt on top and pressed it into the water. The salt was very firm and my finger did not move much of it around and the best way to describe was that I had wet salt but no whiteness to it and it was firm like matted sand.

OR.... just buy a calibrating kit online for a few bucks and take the guess work out!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭

click third post from the bottom guys. this was just a week or so ago.