Home Non Cigar Related

How do we judge 'success?'

bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
A point to ponder on the blustery winter day. W.E. Hickson suggests: "Tis a lesson you should heed:Try, try, try again. If at first you don't succeed, Try, try, try again." W.C. Fields seems to not agree: "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. " Hickson or Fields then? In case you have a few minutes today....this is an interesting video that will likely go viral (with english subtitles in case your Italian is weak) that might help you decide. http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_229427 & ;feature=iv&src_vid=mK3jFZZhQcY&v=2iNcnFED9hA

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    That was great. Thanks for sharing. But, from what I saw, there were enough grown men in that scene to pick up the little thing and just move it. LOL.
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    A tad long, but more than worth it...especially with the english subtitles, as i dont speak italian and just needed to know what they were discussinng!
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    "People who have what they want are fond of telling people who haven't what they want that they really don't want it."

Ogden Nash

How do we judge success?

That depends on what we’re trying to achieve, I think. For some people, success is measured by raising well adjusted children who are equipped to survive in our competitive society. For others it’s the accumulation of personal wealth, but in my view, money is not a good measure of the person. Some people want to change the world, and the way everyone lives in the world. Some people want to live a life of unfettered freedom of movement – having traveled extensively whenever the urge struck. Others believe success is achieved in the dogged pursuit of a single goal. J.B. Shaw failed hundreds of times to be published before he finally became known as one of the greatest authors in the history of the English language, and Thomas Edison failed many, many times in his trial and error pursuit of innovation. Some people just want to live simply and in relative comfort with their friends and family.

I think success is as varied as free individuals are, and is determined by what these individuals choose to pursue.

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He who dies with the most toys wins
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Success is being able to do what makes you happy
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    How do we judge 'success?' Being able to execute a three point turn.
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    bumped since the thought has been started again