Home General Discussion
Options

Anyone Heard this?

Has anyone heard that a law was passed to stop allowing online sales of all tobacco products? A guy at my B&M said it would be 18 months....

Comments

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    ScottU:
    Has anyone heard that a law was passed to stop allowing online sales of all tobacco products? A guy at my B&M said it would be 18 months....
    Did he then follow that up with you now need to buy everything from him right now to save your wife and kids??? Seriously though, I hope that is not true, I love my B&M, but a B&M is like a hot chick that's just into you for your posessions... She may cost more but you get immediate satisfaction, but if you just wait till your girlfriend comes around to being in the mood it'll be allot less and the same thing...
  • Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    don't quote me on this, but I think we had a topic on just this subject a few weeks ago and they decided that it's only affecting cigarette sales, and specifically excludes cigars. On another note, what has this country come to when the president can not only fire the CEO of a major American corporation, but the government can simply push the delete button on an entire industry...
  • Options
    brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    In answer to your questions, nsezell, Democrat controlled Congress and White House. Not that I think Republicans are much better, but there's no balance at all right now.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I think if anyone even muttered that there would be a mass uproar online and on this site no less
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talk about an economic disaster! Besides the stupidity of wiping out an entire industry, the effect on unemployment and even the sacred taxes generated by the industry would be unbelieveable! My hope is that it is indeed only meant for the cigarette online sales. We need to keep on top of this.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Good thing is we can change some things in the 2010 elections ...I believe the entire house of reps and 4 reps for US territories are up for election and 34 Senate seats ....Become politically involved if your able its very satisfying ...
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    nsezell:
    don't quote me on this, but I think we had a topic on just this subject a few weeks ago and they decided that it's only affecting cigarette sales, and specifically excludes cigars. On another note, what has this country come to when the president can not only fire the CEO of a major American corporation, but the government can simply push the delete button on an entire industry...

Educate yourself on this. The goverment didnt delete and industry, really, I MEAN really bad management did.
  • Options
    I agree, the industry was corrupt and was totally at fault for the failure. My point was solely that as bad a shape as they were in, the government (as far as I'm concerned) had no reason to step in. The free market would have forced the same decision eventually.
  • Options
    oh, and the deleted industry I was talking about was online tobacco sales, not the auto industry. Sorry for any confusion.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    there were many factors in the Auto industry going down.

the government itself
    Regulations set by the government
    Unions had a bit to do with it
    the banking industry
    fear

long story short the auto industry in the us fell apart for reasons that are extremely complex; so much so that few of us will ever fully understand every minute detail of it. most people, like me, will just get the basics and some of the lessons from it. also, once some time has passes we can look back and get a clearer view. hind sight is always 20/20
  • Options
    4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    I would certainly be depressed if that happened.  I just discovered the online tobacco world and am getting more and more into it now.
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Not true. Lots of reasons they cant do this, the least of which is that it is unconstitutional as Cigars are not part of the Jenkins act which keeps them protected under the interstate commerce claus.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    Not true. Lots of reasons they cant do this, the least of which is that it is unconstitutional as Cigars are not part of the Jenkins act which keeps them protected under the interstate commerce claus.
    Alex is my hero
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    there were many factors in the Auto industry going down.

the government itself
    Regulations set by the government
    Unions had a bit to do with it
    the banking industry
    fear

long story short the auto industry in the us fell apart for reasons that are extremely complex; so much so that few of us will ever fully understand every minute detail of it. most people, like me, will just get the basics and some of the lessons from it. also, once some time has passes we can look back and get a clearer view. hind sight is always 20/20
    I think you forgot health care. And I don't think govt made them fail, there isn't a lot of evidence on it. Though NAFTA was a bad thing.... And from what I can remember unions have consistently made concessions to the auto makers.

On topic, I haven't heard about this, I need to dig to find some info on it.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Here's a link I found on it, dated July 1, 2008? Sounds like something the democrats would have passed, but nope, the Republicans had the senate and the white house.....

http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080701/NEWS02/807010351/1003/NEWS02

I didn't see anything about cigars, but this still pisses me off. They are probably next. You know, I really think the attack on tobacco is Friggin stupid. I can see making no smoking resturants, and maybe bars, but after that WTF?