Home Non Cigar Related

Pope Resiging!!!

The pope is resiging the end of February!!! What are people's thought on this?

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    If he is indeed too frail to handle the job, I have no problem with it. However, if the next Pope is an Italian from Rome, and goes by the name of Peter, we're all in for a heap of prophetic change.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Makes sense to me, the man is ill.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    its a major change.....not since 1415 has this happened. it is a pretty huge deal, and I hope that they go with a pope from somewhere in the "new world" Specifically i think it is time for an African or a South American pope. One who understands the way of the world and one that can maybe mend fences within the catholic church and with the world. Focus the church back on charity rather than spending on so much money on changing political policies. FYI, this is from a card carrying catholic.
    brianetz1:
    its a major change.....not since 1415 has this happened. it is a pretty huge deal, and I hope that they go with a pope from somewhere in the "new world" Specifically i think it is time for an African or a South American pope. One who understands the way of the world and one that can maybe mend fences within the catholic church and with the world. Focus the church back on charity rather than spending on so much money on changing political policies. FYI, this is from a card carrying catholic.
    I would agree that they need a Pope from outside of central Europe. I don't think it is likely, though.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    +1. Tells me that the right man was chosen, understands his limitations and is able to overcome the urge to cling to power.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    fla-gypsy:
    +1. Tells me that the right man was chosen, understands his limitations and is able to overcome the urge to cling to power.

Or, a scandal is about to break that implicates him...sorry, I get cynical. But, I tend to agree with your statement more than mine. It's just fascinating to watch.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Amos Umwhat:
    fla-gypsy:
    not to get into religious customs, but a pope resigning is like saying god made the wrong decision to hardcore catholics. Since god guides the cardinals on who they are supposed to vote for it is like saying god needs a redo (for the record i am a catholic, but am a catholic more because i like the community, charity, and moral side of the church. I hate the old school customs, but went to private catholic education my whole life so i have some pretty strong feelings on this)

it isn't like a political leader stepping down because he couldn't handle it. This could have major ramifications for millions of people.

this is a pretty big deal and could possibly be a turning point for the church if they choose to allow that to happen. Either you let old europe continue to dictate the church's agenda or you bring in new blood to led them into the new century.
  • DynaguyDynaguy Posts: 51
    Not a Catholic, but I applaud this decision. If he can't do the job, the Church (it would seem) would be better served by one who can. Secondly, he has given his life in service, I see nothing wrong with finally saying: I need some rest. Good for him.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    Amos Umwhat:
    fla-gypsy:
    not to get into religious customs, but a pope resigning is like saying god made the wrong decision to hardcore catholics. Since god guides the cardinals on who they are supposed to vote for it is like saying god needs a redo (for the record i am a catholic, but am a catholic more because i like the community, charity, and moral side of the church. I hate the old school customs, but went to private catholic education my whole life so i have some pretty strong feelings on this)

it isn't like a political leader stepping down because he couldn't handle it. This could have major ramifications for millions of people.

this is a pretty big deal and could possibly be a turning point for the church if they choose to allow that to happen. Either you let old europe continue to dictate the church's agenda or you bring in new blood to led them into the new century.
    I disagree here. An all-knowing God would have known he'd step down, and perhaps Peter the Roman wasn't ready yet so he needed someone to fill the gap. Or this guy had to take the heat for the pedophilia since he already looked like Darth Sidius. Whatever the reasoning, there is no way you could say that him stepping down is a mistake by God, simply all part of the plan.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    brianetz1:
    Amos Umwhat:
    fla-gypsy:

I disagree here. An all-knowing God would have known he'd step down, and perhaps Peter the Roman wasn't ready yet so he needed someone to fill the gap. Or this guy had to take the heat for the pedophilia since he already looked like Darth Sidius. Whatever the reasoning, there is no way you could say that him stepping down is a mistake by God, simply all part of the plan.
    If someone were to be named Pope and decline...that might be seen as a mistake...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Ken Light:
    brianetz1:
    Amos Umwhat:
    fla-gypsy:

If someone were to be named Pope and decline...that might be seen as a mistake...
    Good point, btw has that ever happened? I doubt it....
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    With all due respect to Catholics, given the long history of popes who married, had children out of wedlock, and bribed and murdered their way into the role, God made a lot of wrong decisions. Then again, if you look at the past and current history of the behavior among many high-ranking clergy and divinely appointed monarchs in most different religious denominations, it would appear that God's choices are far from infallible. Not that that's anything new; His first prophet Abraham pimped out of his wife on two separate occasions. He made the Hebrews his chosen people and ten minutes after freeing them from slavery they built a golden calf. He didn't let Moses go to the Promised Land because he failed to give Him proper water-divining credit. He chose a man to be king who killed an innocent subject so he steal his wife. And don't get me started on Wise King Solomon. :) [Disclosure; I'm Jewish, by the way]

A better argument is that God chose those He considered to be the best qualified people for the roles He gave them, and they failed to live up to His expectations. It's So Hard To Find Good Help These Days. :)
    Again, don't group me with the hardcore catholics, but to those that are this is a pretty huge deal since popes just don't resign. Even if in ill health, embroiled in scandal, or hurting the church they don't resign......their power may be internally stripped and they are just there to wear the big hat and wave, but they don't resign. I know a few of the hardcore ones and they are flipping *** right now because their "infallible" leader was proven to be fallible.
    I was raised Catholic, yet I understand that all priests and Popes are human. All are fallible, and many have been purely reprehensible. None of this changes the message of the church.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    Again, don't group me with the hardcore catholics, but to those that are this is a pretty huge deal since popes just don't resign. Even if in ill health, embroiled in scandal, or hurting the church they don't resign......their power may be internally stripped and they are just there to wear the big hat and wave, but they don't resign. I know a few of the hardcore ones and they are flipping *** right now because their "infallible" leader was proven to be fallible.

It's amazing that at least one protestant understands more about papal infallibility than your hardcore Catholics...
    http://www.amazon.com/Papal-Infallibility-Protestant-Evaluation-Ecumenical/dp/0802862845/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1
    Good read for those interested in development of theological thought in historical context on this issue.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Man sees priest bless horse at race track and horse wins. Man sees priest bless second horse and puts down 5 bucks to win. Horse wins. Man sees priest bless third horse and puts down hundred bucks. Horse wins! Man sees priest bless fourth horse and puts down life savings. Horse comes in dead last. Man walks up to priest complaining about losing all his money on the blessed horse. Priest says that's the problem with you protestants, you don't know the difference between a blessing and last rites.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    After a day and a half to think about it, and a long discussion with my wife and mistress.....I have decided to throw my hat in the ring and take a run for the papacy..............any donations for my campaign are appreciated.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    CigarMan37:
    The Pope is resiging the end of February!!! What are people's thought on this?
    He and I are both retiring on the same day.

• Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    I can't wait to retire. Glad to hear your going to soon. Enjoy!