Home General Discussion

Building Humidor

I am lining a decent pine box with a hinged lid with 1/4" Spanish Cedar that I have had for just such a project.

My question is, does anyone know the type of glue that should be used considering i do not want to introduce any chemical odors?

The box is not all that big, perhaps comparible to a 50 or 75 count standard humidor, and I don't think mechanical fastening is the way to go.

Any info or suggestion is appreciated.

Comments

• I would think just plain old Elmer's Wood Glue would be good. Not the white school glue now, the Wood Glue version. Home Depot has it. Spanish Cedar and a good seal is the way to go. Season it up and your ready to go.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    make sure that you seal the box inside and out before you line the box with cedar. this will help hold more of the moisture than if you dont.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CigarMan37:
    I would think just plain old Elmer's Wood Glue would be good. Not the white school glue now, the Wood Glue version. Home Depot has it. Spanish Cedar and a good seal is the way to go. Season it up and your ready to go.
    +1 Yes, wood glue will work.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    http://www.titebond.com/product.aspx?id=e8d40b45-0ab3-49f7-8a9c-b53970f736af

This is the wood glue I'd use; Titebond III. I would be very cautious about using any caulk. Even "mold resistant" caulks can develop mold, and if it does, you're screwed.

You can use brass brads for fastening if you want to, but it would be best to just have a nice tight fit with your cedar, and use the wood glue.