Home Non Cigar Related

State of the Union Address

The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
Cmon,, anyone,, anyone???

Or if you prefer how bout the Republican's response
I'll start,, Evrey child in Preschool? Not a bad Idea ,, but dont we have bigger fish to fry????
I am in favor of rasing minimum wage, 9 bucks still too little. I say 10.

I must say I did get a laugh out of the response by Rubio,, albeit the same old Republican crap. By the end of the speech I wanted a huge bucket of water to drop on him. lol

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I thought it was a good campaign speech for the president.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    I agree it didnt seem to be much about the state of the union, more a Platform for his/the Democratic party agenda. IDK but I seem to remember the State of the union focusing more on wher we are and what we have accomplished, than about where we want to go.. May be wrong.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I dunno, I think he did give a good idea of the "state of the union". I mean we be f8cked big time. We are seriously falling behind other 1st world countries. The austerity that the gop and some dems want to do will not help but make things worse. UK is already having problems due to it. Cutting don't do shi8t. Need more revenue. I look at it this way ... even though the govt is not a company lets say it is, well how to companies usually make money? They buy things or expand. Thus spend money (usually borrow) to grow then what they spent money on will down the road bring more in. Same thing with govt, however the problem is what they spend it on. Huge defense budgets don't do this. Americans need good jobs and jobs that pay well not working at walmart where you make bottom wage while the walton's make billions.

Raising the min wage is a good idea, though I agree 10 would be a good start. I do believe Senator Sanders from Vermont has a bill or even introduced a bill that would due just that.
    A lot needs to be done but probably won't as there is too much gridlock in Washington. One thing is for sure, we need to bring our infrastructure up to a B or A grade. Our power plants need huge overalls and for god's sake let's at least all agree to get money out of politics so the people who go to office are actually worried if they don't do the people's work they will get the boot.
    I do not like how POTUS and others are using victims of gun violence to spur their agenda's though. Seems as though all of the other shootings in this country don't mean crap but as soon as some little kids get shot let's push a gun agenda. Seems to me sort of screwed up, especially when our country has killed thousands of people overseas in these unconstitutional wars (congress declared war yet) and obama and others are fine with wiping people out with drones with little evidence. seems like one needs to wipe their own a** before starting up more sh*t. And gun violence won't end by getting rid of 30 round mags, single shot "assault" weapons or background checks. Hell handguns make most of the deaths in this country.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    beatnic:
    He isn't running for any office, so it could not be a campaign speech. I expect he's going to be taking his ideas to the people, and have them lobby Congress, just like Reagan did.

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    I do not like how POTUS and others are using victims of gun violence to spur their agenda's though. Seems as though all of the other shootings in this country don't mean crap but as soon as some little kids get shot let's push a gun agenda. Seems to me sort of screwed up, especially when our country has killed thousands of people overseas in these unconstitutional wars (congress declared war yet) and obama and others are fine with wiping people out with drones with little evidence. seems like one needs to wipe their own a** before starting up more sh*t. And gun violence won't end by getting rid of 30 round mags, single shot "assault" weapons or background checks. Hell handguns make most of the deaths in this country.
    Is the world ending? Did hell freeze over? Just wondering because I agree with 100% of this statement you just made.
    lol. thanks man.
  • stadstad Posts: 396 ✭✭
    The Kid:

I'll start,, Evrey child in Preschool? Not a bad Idea ,, but dont we have bigger fish to fry????

I must say I did get a laugh out of the response by Rubio,, albeit the same old Republican crap. By the end of the speech I wanted a huge bucket of water to drop on him. lol
    Why stop with 9 or 10 dollars? Why not make it 18 or better yet 25? I idea of the federal gov setting labor prices is wrong. As for "free" preschool, I guess I don't have a problem with paying for my neighbors child care while my wife stays home to raise our children.
    phobicsquirrel:
    I disagree. Newtown changed everything. The victims of our violent gun culture deserve a vote in Congress to stop this madness. Enough is Enough.
    stad:
    The Kid:

Why stop with 9 or 10 dollars? Why not make it 18 or better yet 25? I idea of the federal gov setting labor prices is wrong. As for "free" preschool, I guess I don't have a problem with paying for my neighbors child care while my wife stays home to raise our children.
    I see what you mean, what's the line. However when you have places like walmart and the fast food chains that really do kill local shops they rather pay their workers dirt and eat all of the money for themselves. So what does that do to our fellow workers? You also have the problem with the govt having to use our tax dollars to subsidize those workers because of a cheap company who doesn't care about its workers. Not to mention those people having to be working many jobs just to keep up with their bills if they are lucky. I'm not even going to go on about how a lot of these places treat their employees. The govt needs to set a standard.
    JDH:
    phobicsquirrel:
    I disagree. Newtown changed everything. The victims of our violent gun culture deserve a vote in Congress to stop this madness. Enough is Enough.
    How did newton change everything? So people got shot up. What else is new. Gangs shoot people all the time. It wasn't the first shooting nor will it be the last. If newton changed everything because kids got shot well no offense but where has anyone been? The dude could have used a bomb or bombs. Could have used a shotgun. I mean anything can be used, it just has to be able to kill people. I won't argue that if states don't have background checks they should. In oregon we have them even at gun shows. However cutting mags down to 10 won't fix anything. Most people who buy guns don't use them this way. Mostly the mass shootings have been done by people who "didn't" buy the weapons. They were stolen basically. Or the people who did buy them didn't think before they did as they had unstable people in their family.

by the logic of the anti assault weapon crowd then they should really go after hand guns. Most people are killed by them than ar15's. I guess the thing that really makes me mad is that one event makes everyone freak out and then they have to ban things. Banning doesn't do anything. If anything it makes people want it more. Look at liquor, drugs, and other things. I don't see the push to end the TSA from their gestapo tactics, keep cops from acting like an invading army on its own people, or stop the senseless killing of people overseas.

Like I pointed out earlier, it is very hypocritical for obama to push this so hard when he is fine with using drones and our troops to kill others. And for some senators like feinstein from cali, when she is so for more imperialistic actions from our govt and spew fear for terror that she will defend the patriot act and the presidents authority to detain or kill american citizens.

The problem stems from our social culture and how parents bring up their kids. Foamy the squirrel (google it) put it very well in the video on video games. Parents need to take responsibility. I can't tell you how many people I see letting their little kids play COD or other violent games when they are clearly labeled 17 or MA. Or when I go to the theater to see a R movie and there are dumba** kids with their parents. That's why I go to the over 21 theater. I'm not saying games and movies are the reason why this is happening but it adds to the pot. The "family" has been broken by our economy and social acceptance. Hell almost every cable/sat channel is some **** being dumb or having sex and getting paid a butt load and claiming it's real.
    stad:
    The Kid:

Why not just do away with the minimum wage and bring back child labor, and sweat shops, and the 16-18 hour day, and eliminate overtime pay, and weekends off, and sick leave, and holiday pay? All that would help the "job creators" even more than tax breaks. History has proven time and time again that if there are no labor regulations, wages will sink to the bottom, often resulting in a working class reduced to peonage and slavery. Low wages = high profits, especially for a business community that will not share the wealth. Our corporations are enjoying the profits from these conditions now - overseas. They would like nothing better than to be able to bring these standards here.

• VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    stad:
    The Kid:

I see what you mean, what's the line. However when you have places like walmart and the fast food chains that really do kill local shops they rather pay their workers dirt and eat all of the money for themselves. So what does that do to our fellow workers? You also have the problem with the govt having to use our tax dollars to subsidize those workers because of a cheap company who doesn't care about its workers. Not to mention those people having to be working many jobs just to keep up with their bills if they are lucky. I'm not even going to go on about how a lot of these places treat their employees. The govt needs to set a standard.

No one holds a gun to the head of the consumer. Heck, I would rather pay 9.99 for a Diesel UHC in a B&M Mom and Pop then the 2 bucks they are on here (I am being sarcastic). We control where we spend our money. Example.... Walmart $1.77 for Windshield washer fluid. $4.29 at a local joint. Under $4 for both my vehics or close to $9. Those low paying jobs unfortunately keep prices lower. I am not saying right or wrong here... just pointing out the fact, again, that we choose who we give our hard earned loot to.
    Vision:
    phobicsquirrel:
    stad:
    The Kid:

No one holds a gun to the head of the consumer. Heck, I would rather pay 9.99 for a Diesel UHC in a B&M Mom and Pop then the 2 bucks they are on here (I am being sarcastic). We control where we spend our money. Example.... Walmart $1.77 for Windshield washer fluid. $4.29 at a local joint. Under $4 for both my vehics or close to $9. Those low paying jobs unfortunately keep prices lower. I am not saying right or wrong here... just pointing out the fact, again, that we choose who we give our hard earned loot to.
    My money does not work at WalMart. I do not spend money there because I believe their low wage high profit business model is destroying much of what is good and decent in this country.
    stad:
    The Kid:

Why stop with 9 or 10 dollars? Why not make it 18 or better yet 25? I idea of the federal gov setting labor prices is wrong.
    Why is it wrong? Do you know why minimum wage was established? Same reason why many laws protecting the labor force were,, Should we also abolish Osha, and how bout workers rights? Lets also drop the age of workers too,, lets say to about age 10 or twelve,, lets also increase the full time hours to 60 instead of 40, that way we can keep everybody at 40 and drop em all to part time employees and kill their benefits.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    stad:
    The Kid:

Why stop with 9 or 10 dollars? Why not make it 18 or better yet 25? I idea of the federal gov setting labor prices is wrong.
    Why is it wrong? Do you know why minimum wage was established? Same reason why many laws protecting the labor force were,, Should we also abolish Osha, and how bout workers rights? Lets also drop the age of workers too,, lets say to about age 10 or twelve,, lets also increase the full time hours to 60 instead of 40, that way we can keep everybody at 40 and drop em all to part time employees and kill their benefits.
    Those all sounds great to me Kid. The only way to solve the "problem" with this country is to end all regulation and allow the markets to work. ONLY THEN will we be the city on a hill again;)
  • stadstad Posts: 396 ✭✭
    Vulchor:
    The Kid:
    stad:
    The Kid:

Those all sounds great to me Kid. The only way to solve the "problem" with this country is to end all regulation and allow the markets to work. ONLY THEN will we be the city on a hill again;)
    Amen brother. If you don't like your job because of wages or benefits find a new one. Or better yet start your own company and work your ass off and make lots of money- oh, wait- don't make too much money, that wouldn't be fair.

I think it funny that folks put more trust in government and its bureaucracies than in themselves and their own abilities.

Also, please stop using this slippery slope argument. This isn't the year 1920. We are talking about the entry level and low skilled workers who are entering the work force. No one is "living" one these wages. That not what it was intended for. As folk gain skills they advance, make more money, because they have more skills, and continue to move upward. If a company does not pay enough for the labor they need folks will move on. They pay well and provide opportunity, folks will stay around. The free market is amazing, because it give people the choice to decide their own life.
    JDH:
    stad:
    The Kid:

Why not just do away with the minimum wage and bring back child labor, and sweat shops, and the 16-18 hour day, and eliminate overtime pay, and weekends off, and sick leave, and holiday pay? All that would help the "job creators" even more than tax breaks. History has proven time and time again that if there are no labor regulations, wages will sink to the bottom, often resulting in a working class reduced to peonage and slavery. Low wages = high profits, especially for a business community that will not share the wealth. Our corporations are enjoying the profits from these conditions now - overseas. They would like nothing better than to be able to bring these standards here.

I agree with JDH on this, and wish I saw it sooner so I coulda just +1'd it and not had to do all this typing.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Raising the min wage is a good idea, though I agree 10 would be a good start. I do believe Senator Sanders from Vermont has a bill or even introduced a bill that would due just that.

what if those people making that proposed $10 an hour are only generating $8 worth of wealth an hour?

smells like unemployment.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    stad:
    Vulchor:
    The Kid:
    stad:
    The Kid:

Amen brother. If you don't like your job because of wages or benefits find a new one. Or better yet start your own company and work your ass off and make lots of money- oh, wait- don't make too much money, that wouldn't be fair.

I think it funny that folks put more trust in government and its bureaucracies than in themselves and their own abilities.

Also, please stop using this slippery slope argument. This isn't the year 1920. We are talking about the entry level and low skilled workers who are entering the work force. No one is "living" one these wages. That not what it was intended for. As folk gain skills they advance, make more money, because they have more skills, and continue to move upward. If a company does not pay enough for the labor they need folks will move on. They pay well and provide opportunity, folks will stay around. The free market is amazing, because it give people the choice to decide their own life.
    I was being sarcastic Stad......sorry buddy. That said, I do agree with some of your points, though not all.
    Vulchor:
    The Kid:
    stad:
    The Kid:

Our middle class (once the envy of the free world) was not created by unregulated capital markets - it was created by a regulated market economy. If you end all regulation, you will get a plantation on the hill, not the city you envision. You will create a jungle in which the strong will crush the weak, and profit will be more valuable than life. Unregulated capital markets concentrate wealth and power, and create widespread poverty because not only will wages and working conditions deterioriate, but all social programs will be eliminated. Regulated capital markets spread the wealth around, and create a healthy middle class, which provides prosperity for the vast majority, not just the top 10%. History has proven this simple economic truth time and time and time again. Those who call for completely unregulated capitalism are also advocating the destruction of all that is good and decent for the vast majority of people in the US.
    JDH:
    Vulchor:
    The Kid:
    stad:
    The Kid:

Our middle class (once the envy of the free world) was not created by unregulated capital markets - it was created by a regulated market economy. If you end all regulation, you will get a plantation on the hill, not the city you envision. You will create a jungle in which the strong will crush the weak, and profit will be more valuable than life. Unregulated capital markets concentrate wealth and power, and create widespread poverty because not only will wages and working conditions deterioriate, but all social programs will be eliminated. Regulated capital markets spread the wealth around, and create a healthy middle class, which provides prosperity for the vast majority, not just the top 10%. History has proven this simple economic truth time and time and time again. Those who call for completely unregulated capitalism are also advocating the destruction of all that is good and decent for the vast majority of people in the US.
    OOOOOOOOOPS! Sorry vulchor. Didn't see the comment about this being a sarcastic retort - my bad, but I stilll stand by the statement.
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    F the middle class. I want a President who's willing to tell me I can be rich someday, and everyone should be happy for me.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:

what if those people making that proposed $10 an hour are only generating $8 worth of wealth an hour?

Without any sarcasm, this is the reality.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    mmccartneydc:
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:

Those making $10/hr don't pay any income tax. They actually get a tax credit and probably a refund. They most likely live in Sec. 8 housing. They also get food stamps and because of their low pay, they get their healthcare free. If they would be able to increase their take home pay only a little bit, they would start to lose all of the extras that they now enjoy. The laws are written to keep these folks down. JMO
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmccartneydc:
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:

There's a simple solution to that, and it's in play right now: Print money. Before you know it, inflation goes through the roof, and now your ten bucks is only worth eight. You are right back where you started but everyone thinks you're a hero. Especially if you lie that inflation is under control.

Here's yet another advantage: Bernanke is printing 45 bil a month to buy bad mortgages, another forty a month to buy bonds. Between banks and gummint, that's a trillion a year. Makes one heck of a dent in a 15 tril GDP. With a tril a year in funny money and a tril in debt, we come out looking like we only dropped a tenth percent GDP last quarter. Almost not quite papered over the canyon. Now we can get up on our hind legs in front of Congress and the American Sheeple, turn to the left corner of the room, turn to the right corner of the room, turn to the left corner of the room, turn to the right corner of the room, never speak directly at the camera, and proudly proclaim we have a recovery.

Plus, as beatnic points out, then you get to tax the minimum wagers more and help them less.

Gotta hand it to you. I can't watch the guy. Have not conquered my gag reflex.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

JDH:
    Vision:
    phobicsquirrel:
    stad:
    The Kid:

My money does not work at WalMart. I do not spend money there because I believe their low wage high profit business model is destroying much of what is good and decent in this country.
    Just watched a documentary WALMART: The High Price Of Low Cost. It was very disturbing to see many aspects to this giant that is putting profits before anything else, Workers rights, Customer Safety, EPA impact, Impact on small business and small town economy. Definately shed some more light on an important issue.. What was most disturbing to me were the workers rights, conditions and wages in the countries that manufacture goods for WALMART like India, China,& Honduras. If you watch the documentary Im sure your outlook toward patronizing their store will be affected.
    The Kid:
    JDH:
    Vision:
    phobicsquirrel:
    stad:
    The Kid:

Just watched a documentary WALMART: The High Price Of Low Cost. It was very disturbing to see many aspects to this giant that is putting profits before anything else, Workers rights, Customer Safety, EPA impact, Impact on small business and small town economy. Definately shed some more light on an important issue.. What was most disturbing to me were the workers rights, conditions and wages in the countries that manufacture goods for WALMART like India, China,& Honduras. If you watch the documentary Im sure your outlook toward patronizing their store will be affected.
    That's exactly why I won't shop at WalMart. It is a plantation. The management at WalMart requires their "associates" to forfiet their rights as American Citizens and become subservient to them. Their goal is not just to make a profit, but to lower wages and working conditions throughout the US until they are equal to those found in the "third world". I don't want to live in a thrid world plantation economy. I want to live in a country where economic prosperity is avaliable to the majority of the population, not just the top 10 %.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    While you're on the topic of documentaries, anyone ever watch the Zeitgeist documentaries? Watch the first one and then see how you feel about this conversation. The crap that goes on at the highest levels of our government and beyond them dwarfs anything that any corporation is doing!

Personal opinion. Problem isn't the government or the corporations. It's not the democrats or the republicans. All these things are kept in place to keep you from the truth:

WE SOLD THIS COUNTRY A VERY LONG TIME AGO AND NO AMOUNT OF MONEY CAN EVER BUY IT BACK!!!!

The real culprits: Monetary system, banking system, centralized banking, real reasons we fight wars, and everyone arguing over all the BS so that no one ever actually talks about these things. Our system isn't designed to succeed. It's designed to end in bankruptcy with the banks owning everything.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I'm down to one loan on one car, that will be gone this fall. Tired of being an indentured servant.