Home General Discussion
Options

Davidoff Millennium Robusto

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
I didn't want to do a review of this but I wanted to say I really liked this cigar. I know a few of you (kuzi especially) have said good things about Davidoff but when I got into cigars many years ago I had a few and didn't like them. Must have been my newbness or something. I haven't had all of the cigars yet but last night I had the puro which I did enjoy as well. But the Millennium was better IMO. However I need more to really make a final decision but I sure did enjoy it.

Comments

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Good too know you enjoyed it!! It's a very refined stick IMO and is very subtle. I just had one about 2 hours ago and I do like some of the davidoff line. As for the price point...well that's a whole different thing but they all have razor burns and they are all very smooth!! You should try the special T it's one of my faves from them
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you have yet to try the Davidoff thousand series you ay want to do that.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, Davidoff Royal Robusto is the best non-Cuban Davidoff along with Zino Crown and Emperor edition. Millennium blend is also very good and consistent.
  • Options
    Kuzi, I had a 6000 and thought it similar to the Millennium though the millennium I felt was a bit sweeter. Rip, the Royal, I'll have to check that out. Anyone know if the LE 2011 or LE 2012 are worth a go, found a place or two that sell both?
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Good too know you enjoyed it!! It's a very refined stick IMO and is very subtle. I just had one about 2 hours ago and I do like some of the davidoff line. As for the price point...well that's a whole different thing but they all have razor burns and they are all very smooth!! You should try the special T it's one of my faves from them
    special T, I'll put that on the list as well. thanks.
  • Options
    Rip, I found a thread with you talking about the royal. Did you ever end up smoking it? Was it or is it worth the trouble and the expense?
  • Options
    Hi Glen, if you are looking for signature Davidoff medium bodied flavorful cigars then you can skip LE2011 or LE2012. They are good cigars but full bodied and overpriced.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Kuzi, I had a 6000 and thought it similar to the Millennium though the millennium I felt was a bit sweeter. Rip, the Royal, I'll have to check that out. Anyone know if the LE 2011 or LE 2012 are worth a go, found a place or two that sell both?
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    Rip, I found a thread with you talking about the royal. Did you ever end up smoking it? Was it or is it worth the trouble and the expense?

Yes, I got the full humidor and smoked couple of them. IMO, this is the best medium bodied, extremely complex and flavorful Davidoff cigar. The floral aromas are very much like Cuban. Here is the review. Please note that back then I was new with reviewing cigars so it was not very well written.
    rzaman:
    "The cigar of the Davidoff Royal series are remarkable in terms of both form and style presentation. The series comprised two glamorous formats: Royal Salomones and Royal Robusto. These cigars are made with choice tobaccos set aside and aged for several years specially for occasions such as this. As these special tobaccos are available only in very small quantities, only a limited number of cigars can be rolled. The cigars' impressive size makes each and every one of them a tour de force in its own right, lending both the true glamour of royalty.The ideal blend of the specially - treated tobaccos used makes smoking these cigars a voyage of discovery, taking in a wide variety of gustatory experience and subtle aromas. Exceptional cigars for a long, unforgettable smoke which will delight aficionados time and again with new sensations and many - faceted flavors." - Davidoof & cie, SA, Geneve
    Photobucket
    True to Davidoff's statement above, the cigar is very special with more than perfect construction, burn and the layers of flavors and aroma. It is completely smooth, creamy and clean smoke with rich fruity and flowery aroma. The flavor profile is very complex and flavorful with hints of mild white pepper, white chocolate, nutmeg, roasted almonds, mild coffee-vanilla and touch of tannic oakiness. The cigar is very rich, moving and satisfying with even burn and draw. It is nothing like other Davidoff because of a distinctive Cuban like rich fruity and flowery aroma. It is definitely very smooth cigar declares the superiority of the Davidoff quality. I think, I can write a song about this cigar. It is like a symphonic work which moves you with melodies. This is a true masterpiece of art from Henke Kelner. My friend told me that Henke thinks it is his best creation. I can not verify that because I never talked to Henke in person.
    Photobucket Photobucket
    Wrapper: Ecudorian Connecticut

Binder: Dominican Republic

Fillers: All aged fillers from Dominican Republic( I don't know why I am close to believe that there might be some Cuban tobacco in the blend because I feel the distinctive Cuban like flavor in it. Maybe I need to smoke couple more of this sticks)
    Photobucket
    1/3: The cigar starts out with smooth and creamy, rich Cuban like fruity and flowery aroma with an underlying mild tannic oakiness. The tannic side comes from the Ecuadorian Connecticut wrapper. Top of my tongue can feel peppery flavor with mild bitterness, middle of my tongue feel the smooth, creaminess, fruity, flowery aromas. Back of my tongue feel the mild roasted nuttiness.
    Photobucket
    2/3: As a sign of a great cigar at this stage the cigar opens up with layers of different flavor and aroma. The flavor profile is heavily dominated by white chocolate, roasted almonds, mild coffee-vanilla flavors with underlying notes of nutmeg and clove. Straight medium bodied with smooth cream, mellow and round flavor. The top of my tongue feels more distinctive white pepper, above all the flavors with clean, smooth, buttery, mouthful feeling. Back of tongue is clean without any aftertaste.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: The cigar is very complex with long finish. I am just floating in a dream world of complexity and flavor. The strong Cuban like fruity, flowery aroma is dominating the smoke. I am simply sad to say goodbye but I have to. A true smoking voyage to the world of flavor and aroma. The entire time of smoking I enjoyed the roasted sweetness to it. I am glad to have a full humidor of this and planning to age them.
  • Options
    So find some of the royals then. Well saves me some time with the other's. I guess it's hunting time. I love the review! Found them, holly crap, these are hella spendy. In your opinion are these worth the price more than behikes? I ordered a box last month and really enjoyed the behike though for the price, not so much loving that. However from your review and a couple of others this cigar does sound worth at least trying.
  • Options
    No, Behike is far superior than Davidoff Royal Robusto (DRR)in terms of complexity and flavors. that doesn't undermine the uniqueness of the Royal Robusto with $30 price tag. Remember, DRR comes with a Connecticut wrapper. the weaknesses of Connecticut wrapper is its tannic and bitterness. You simply can't avoid it. This is where DRR fails to compete with Behike. On top of that Behike is more complex with multi-layers of flavors and aroma. DRR has a wonderful roasted almond flavor and more nutty finish.
    phobicsquirrel:
    So find some of the royals then. Well saves me some time with the other's. I guess it's hunting time. I love the review! Found them, holly crap, these are hella spendy. In your opinion are these worth the price more than behikes? I ordered a box last month and really enjoyed the behike though for the price, not so much loving that. However from your review and a couple of others this cigar does sound worth at least trying.
  • Options
    One more thing though Behike is a phenomenal cigar but within 5 years Cohiba 1966 will beat a 5 years aged Behike. This is my amature prediction. It is not the time to drop the last word for the Cohiba 1966. if you can please get a box of 1966 and let it rest.
    rzaman:
    No, Behike is far superior than Davidoff Royal Robusto (DRR)in terms of complexity and flavors. that doesn't undermine the uniqueness of the Royal Robusto with $30 price tag. Remember, DRR comes with a Connecticut wrapper. the weaknesses of Connecticut wrapper is its tannic and bitterness. You simply can't avoid it. This is where DRR fails to compete with Behike. On top of that Behike is more complex with multi-layers of flavors and aroma. DRR has a wonderful roasted almond flavor and more nutty finish.
    phobicsquirrel:
  • Options
    rzaman:
    phobicsquirrel:
    I don't get the tannic or bitterness with most of the conni's I've had, maybe i'm immune. lol. Thanks for the info btw. I'm going to have to pick up a couple of these then. 1966 will go on my list as well.