Home General Discussion
Options

A new look on connys

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
Well being not a big conny fan at all I've noticed one thing...the Ecuador connys are awesome!! I've been really smoking them up recently and wow they are good!! So now I am just stumped...maybe my taste is changing once again or maybe my pallet is just that picky about the region. But I enjoyed so many recently I had to go order some more. Should I go back and try all the other connys or will I just be disappointed??
Money can't buy taste

Comments

• Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Which ones specifically are you liking? I know a lot of people really dig Ecuador Connecticut wrapper. I believe the MF federal exclusive in Ecuador Connecticut wrapper is very highly regarded. I need to get some of those myself and rexplore all conny's so I'm curious what everyone with exp tells you.
  • Options
    blurr:
    Which ones specifically are you liking? I know a lot of people really dig Ecuador Connecticut wrapper. I believe the MF federal exclusive in Ecuador Connecticut wrapper is very highly regarded. I need to get some of those myself and rexplore all conny's so I'm curious what everyone with exp tells you.
    Yeah lol mostly davidoffs and the mf's and jg's are great as well!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    wouldnt hurt, but Ecuador Connecticut wrapper is it's own special group. I really like connys and I think ecuadorian wrapped conny's are just a little different.
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I think someone had a link awhile ago, but somewhere Alex from ccom has a blog post or writing about how a lot of people go thru a similar pattern of cigar experience, which goes light-med-to full, back to light again once you can taste nuances. Great read and I've def followed that path, though now I enjoy all strengths and all blends, just depends on the mood.

I found some like 4 year old Don Diego PLayers club Robustos in my humi. These were a Connecticut wrapped cheapo 29.99/bundle of 20 several years back. Damn they are goood after 4 years! If you happen to have any connies or Ecuadorian connies its a great idea to re-explore them. May find some gems you forgot about.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Love them man.... The subtle nuances are amazing. It's become rather hip as the leaf does not need the shade like Connecticut, as the weather in CT demands the "shade" tarps to protect the fragile leaf. The ecuadorian absorbs a little more from the sun and the strength picks up, while being more pliable. The positive is an easier wrapper to deal with, potency, and ease of harvest. The downside is drop in quality as it is becoming more abundant so IMO the quality on some is terrible. Seems like all conny is hit and miss.... Henke works wonders with it. Look for blends with San Andreas, Sumatra, or corojo as the binder as thy all add their own distinction. Nic blends still need lots of age to combat the spice and balance them with the wrapper. Cabaiguan is a great example. Dominican is perfect for it, along with some Honduran blends. I'd be interested to try the federal MF with it honestly. If you find any cool blends let me know. Recently I had a Nadi that was awesome, tons of berries.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    The only San Lotano I haven't had is the conny, and it's an Equadoran leaf.

Maybe I ought to see if anyone has some they want to trade.

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    JDH:

i thinks its ths best of the original San Lotano line.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Love them man.... The subtle nuances are amazing. It's become rather hip as the leaf does not need the shade like Connecticut, as the weather in CT demands the "shade" tarps to protect the fragile leaf. The ecuadorian absorbs a little more from the sun and the strength picks up, while being more pliable. The positive is an easier wrapper to deal with, potency, and ease of harvest. The downside is drop in quality as it is becoming more abundant so IMO the quality on some is terrible. Seems like all conny is hit and miss.... Henke works wonders with it. Look for blends with San Andreas, Sumatra, or corojo as the binder as thy all add their own distinction. Nic blends still need lots of age to combat the spice and balance them with the wrapper. Cabaiguan is a great example. Dominican is perfect for it, along with some Honduran blends. I'd be interested to try the federal MF with it honestly. If you find any cool blends let me know. Recently I had a Nadi that was awesome, tons of berries.
    Thanks for the info!! This sounds about right and yes!! Henke works wonders with that damn leaf!! It's got me really hooked at the moment!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    kuzi16:
    JDH:

i thinks its ths best of the original San Lotano line.
    The habano is a terrific cigar for the money, that's a very good recomendation. I may have to break down and give c.com a call.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Fyi....check te RRR thread in reviews Lee, just posted three micro reviews on Ecuadorian conny's. I'll have three more coming soon