Home General Discussion
Options

Want to walk on the milder side ...

JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
My palate must be changing...again. It's all Dustin's fault. He rants about the Avo Classics so much I finally gave them a try, now I'm buying them fairly regularly. They're a really nice change of pace from the powerhouse Nicaraguan/Honduran sticks.

So here's the deal; what would be some recomendations for good mild - med bodied (probably Equadoran connie wrappers) cigars with medium - full flavor? Keep in mind that I usually just don't buy the higher end cigars, so Davidoff isn't going to be in my rotation. What about the San Lotano connie?

Comments

• Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Yeah, definitely try the SL connie, Room 101 Connecticut, Ccom American Blend, MoW Virtue for starters. I generally don't go for Connecticut wrappers because they're so bland, but the above blends are some that I like. I feel that you'll be better off getting the skinniest RG with Connecticuts since the thicker ones are more tasteless.
  • Options
    allsmokedup:
    Yeah, definitely try the SL connie, Room 101 Connecticut, Ccom American Blend, MoW Virtue for starters. I generally don't go for Connecticut wrappers because they're so bland, but the above blends are some that I like. I feel that you'll be better off getting the skinniest RG with Connecticuts since the thicker ones are more tasteless.
    The Virtue is a pretty good cigar, so is the Oliva connie, but am looking for something with flavor instead of power, and both of those fall short, I think. I agree about the smaler ring - I prefer them anyway. Have heard good things about the Room 101 connie, but haven't tried it.

• Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    EP Carillo New Wave
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Uuummmmm davidoff bundles are affordable and pretty darn tasty!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Check out the Angelenos and Cabaiguan, awesome cigars, two of my favorites.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a funny thread. I've been smoking a good amount of Connies lately. A lot of Avo and Davidoff. I texted D not too long ago blaming him.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    Check out the Angelenos and Cabaiguan, awesome cigars, two of my favorites.
    + 1 on the Angelenos. You can pick them up pretty cheap in clearance right now. Also Gurka Park Ave is one of my favorites.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Ashton Cabinet, Monte White, Perdomo 10th Anny Champagne are some of my favorite connies. I always thought Gurkha Park Ave was a pretty good budget connie too. None of those are Ecuadorian though so they might not be what you're looking for.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    agreed that the room 101 Connecticut is awesome. you really need to try that one. lets put it this way: JDH, you and I have very similar palates. you know that underlying warm flavor you get on the JdN Celebracion?
    imagine that a bit milder and a bit more to the licorice and sweet side and that is the undertone in the 101 Connie.
    you will be happy with that.

the Davidoff thousand serie3s has the musk that you can find in the avo classic so if thats what you like in the Avo then you will love the thousand series. its is way more defined in that smoke.

• Options
    kuzi16:
    agreed that the room 101 Connecticut is awesome. you really need to try that one. lets put it this way: JDH, you and I have very similar palates. you know that underlying warm flavor you get on the JdN Celebracion?
    imagine that a bit milder and a bit more to the licorice and sweet side and that is the undertone in the 101 Connie.

the Davidoff thousand serie3s has the musk that you can find in the avo classic so if thats what you like in the Avo then you will love the thousand series. its is way more defined in that smoke.

OK...going to burn up some 101 Connies then....sounds like that's what I'm aiming at, and maybe try some of the Davidoff 3x3's if I can find them on sale somewhere.

Thanks for the tip! Is this a great place or what!

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    JDH:
    kuzi16:

OK...going to burn up some 101 Connies then....sounds like that's what I'm aiming at, and maybe try some of the Davidoff 3x3's if I can find them on sale somewhere.

Pm sent
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    JDH:
    kuzi16:

Pm sent
    & Replied

• Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I Really enjoy the La Gloria Cubana, Artesanos Retro Especial ROTT

"Using a unique Honduran-grown Connecticut wrapper, this wrapper translates into big flavor. Now this blend isn't a power-house, but it's definitely one of the strongest Connecticuts on the market. Starting off with traditional Connecticut creaminess, this blend evolves into a medium-bodied burst of pepper, earth, and cedar before completing with a smooth, solid finish." per CCom

I think that is a pretty accurate description of it.
  • Options
    insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    I enjoy a good RP Edge conny! Might be a bit more mild than what you are looking for, but in my top 10 right now! For sure a good morning coffee smoke!
  • Options
    Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    I LOVE milder cigars. The ones I've been loving lately are the Arturo Fuente Chateu series. I got a box for christmas and been loving that gift. I'm partial to the RP Connecicut but everyone craps on them so I won't even bother getting into those.

I had a Jameson Red Label that was pretty tasty a little while ago. Gurkha's Park Ave are nice I like those and they're very reasonable. If you can get your hands on a Gurkha Symphony I'd try that out. They were REALLY smooth and had lots of flavor for a stick labeled as mild. I enjoyed that with a glass of Jameson just last night.
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree on the JdN Celebracion. I have 2 boxes in one of my cooleradors. Also, you might want to try something like a Monte #4 or a Hoyo de Monterrey du Gourmet. And if you like a big RG, the Gurkha Beauty and Angelenos '09 are good connies also.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Gurkha shaggy. One of the Gurkhas that I thought was mild but with tons of flavor.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Maybe try the Zino Classic? I like those a lot. The Avo Domaine as well, I can't get enough of those, but they're more pricey.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Russ55:
    Maybe try the Zino Classic? I like those a lot. The Avo Domaine as well, I can't get enough of those, but they're more pricey.
    i have a soft spot for the Zeno classic. that was the cigar that got me to realize that there was more to cigars than ultra full body. the robusto is probably the best of the line.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Russ55:
    i have a soft spot for the Zeno classic. that was the cigar that got me to realize that there was more to cigars than ultra full body. the robusto is probably the best of the line.
    i was thinking about grabbing a box of the panetelaish size they have. I always see them cheap, and figure they can't be too bad.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for ruining ya JDH ;) try cabaiguan, zino, room 101 conny, Jameson red label, nadi cigars conny, monte white, davidoff 3x3 corona, torano domincano, San cristobal Elegancia, Avo xo or 787, L'Atelier 54
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sencillo, LPH Grand Pearl, and I like the Reposado Connecticut on the DD today
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Sorry for ruining ya JDH ;) try cabaiguan, zino, room 101 conny, Jameson red label, nadi cigars conny, monte white, davidoff 3x3 corona, torano domincano, San cristobal Elegancia, Avo xo or 787, L'Atelier 54
    Yea, yea - it really IS all yer fault. Will have to re-visit the Cabaguians - was buying the gaupos for a while a few years ago, and enjoyed them - so many cigars, so little time! Interesting, I didn't think the L'Atelier was a milder cigar.