Home General Discussion
Options

You're straight outta Compton? I'm straight outta freezer!

bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
Yip, my attempt at preventing tobacco beetles is over. I put all my sticks in the freezer, a normal freezer, for 48 hours and then in the fridge for 24 hours. Now all sticks, save one, are living nicely in the humidors again (and the wife rejoices). One stick, a La Cuna 1720, was saved to be smoked straight out of the freezer to see if any wrapper cracking would occur. It hasn't. Perfect burn, perfect ash, perfect draw, no cracking of the wrapper and no taste whatsoever. Yep, just like all my other 1720s. So apparently the freezer has no ill affects on smoking or flavor of the cigar.

I think the freezer move was a good pre-emptive strike and at least I did all I could beforehand short of having temperature control humidors. If I get a hatching I'll take reactionary measures to stop the spread but for now my heart is WAY more at ease. All that's left now is to continue with this awful bland 1720...

Comments

• Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    Yip, my attempt at preventing tobacco beetles is over. I put all my sticks in the freezer, a normal freezer, for 48 hours and then in the fridge for 24 hours. Now all sticks, save one, are living nicely in the humidors again (and the wife rejoices). One stick, a La Cuna 1720, was saved to be smoked straight out of the freezer to see if any wrapper cracking would occur. It hasn't. Perfect burn, perfect ash, perfect draw, no cracking of the wrapper and no taste whatsoever. Yep, just like all my other 1720s. So apparently the freezer has no ill affects on smoking or flavor of the cigar.

I think the freezer move was a good pre-emptive strike and at least I did all I could beforehand short of having temperature control humidors. If I get a hatching I'll take reactionary measures to stop the spread but for now my heart is WAY more at ease. All that's left now is to continue with this awful bland 1720...
    Nothing like chilling out a good smoke on the rocks... :) it appears the pre-emptive strike had no causalities, just a few choice words from the missus...
  • Options
    4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    How long between freezer and lighting? Did you bring it straight to room temp or light it up right away?
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    4bob4:
    How long between freezer and lighting? Did you bring it straight to room temp or light it up right away?
    2 days in the freezer, 1-2 days in the fridge, then back in the humi as long as you can keep your hands off of them.
  • Options
    undulac:
    4bob4:
    2 days in the freezer, 1-2 days in the fridge, then back in the humi as long as you can keep your hands off of them.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear I meant the La Cuna 1720 that the OP said was smoked right out of the freezer.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I just saw something on Oliva's website that says something like "Contrary to popular belief storing cigars in the fridge is a bad thing". Now, with that being said I think they meen constant storage and not beetle protection. Also, I noticed that they said that some of their cigars should be stored between 70 and 78 percent humidity.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    above 70? I would think above 73 would be too high, especially in the summer. But Yeah, I do like cigars around 67-70 or so, though maduros I think smoke better around 60.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    4bob4:
    A few seconds. I took it out of the freezer, cut it, went outside and lit it. The only thing that was different than normal was the cool sensation of the cigar on my lips. I was pretty gentle with its handling, though, for fear that being cold might make it more fragile.
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    4bob4:
    A few seconds. I took it out of the freezer, cut it, went outside and lit it. The only thing that was different than normal was the cool sensation of the cigar on my lips. I was pretty gentle with its handling, though, for fear that being cold might make it more fragile.
    Haha I'll bet that did feel weird. Was the smoke "cold"?
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    4bob4:
    bigharpoon:
    4bob4:
    Haha I'll bet that did feel weird. Was the smoke "cold"?
    All I can picture is the kid from "A Christmas Story" with his tongue on the pole

"Lemme get some hot water for you!!!!"

"NOh... Toog Muchf hoomididdy!!!!"
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    If you freeze the cigars and some of the cigars have beetles or beetle larvae in them, wouldn't they still have the remains of these things, although dead, in them after removal from the freezer, and if so how does that make you feel?
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    If you freeze the cigars and some of the cigars have beetles or beetle larvae in them, wouldn't they still have the remains of these things, although dead, in them after removal from the freezer, and if so how does that make you feel?
    They've always been there... just a little bigger

plus I'd say "It's nice to enjoy a cigar with someone else for a change!"
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Protein is good for you!