Home General Discussion

Just saying Hi

Hi folks,

Just a few lines to introduce myself. I'm English, in London (don't take any notice of the profile - Jeff told me to "fiddle it"!) and 60 years of age going on 61. I have been a smoker since aged 13 thereabouts although didn't start inhaling until 15 (cigarettes). I have fairly had substantial spells as a pipe smoker over the years in which I settled on a rich Virginia flake as my favourite (please forgive my English spelling!) pipe smoke.

Of course, over the years, I have smoked a good few cigars but never really considered myself a "cigar smoker". I am now trying to get much more into cigars and cut right down on the ****. At least with cigars I'm not inhaling anything like the same.

I've placed my first order with Cigar.com and it arrived today. An "in house" sampler set, a box of the Brazilian in-house Churchills and a sampler set of "Man O' War." I've already puffed away the Brazilian and Purple label "Robusto" samplers! Brazilian I really enjoyed - Purple was ok but a bit mild for me.

I love the "proper" Cubans like Partagas (my favourite) but, to tell the truth, all mainline Cubans are pretty too damn expensive for me (especially over here in England) and I tend to go for cheaper. As a general rule I am a big fan of Maduro cigars. I like the taste, the strength and the buzz. But most of you guys will have forgotten more than I ever knew about cigars so go easy on me!

The user name is the same as I use on several British gun sites (I am a shooter) and it is a self-referential joke back to the days (pre-cataract operations) when my eyes were bad.

Cheers
Alan

Comments

• brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    Welcome. It's always a pleasure to have new people join the boards.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Welcome! I like the purple too, but it's very mild. I've been turning to maduro's more and more. They have really grown on me. Nice to have an over-seas fella join our ranks, hope you'll stick around. Have you had the camacho triple maduro?
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Cheers. Welcome to the board. 5 Vegas 'A' is one of my go-to maduros, nice flavor with some good body on it to boot.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Welcome. I agree with Harpoon, the A is a good starter maduro.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    welcome, Eagle...it's a great forum and there seem to be a fair amount of shooters around here as well. Stick around. Oh, and don't inhale.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Welcome aboard! Glad to have ya.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    welcome
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey eagleman, nice to have you here.
  • 4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    Hey I'm new here myself but welcome from this side of the pond.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Welcome!
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    bigharpoon:
    Cheers. Welcome to the board. 5 Vegas 'A' is one of my go-to maduros, nice flavor with some good body on it to boot.
    Also forgot the part where it doesn't kill your wallet every time you smoke one. Welcome aboard Eagle!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Hey Eagle, welcome to the boards and hope your cigar adventure is abundent and has copius amounts of great smokes, and great memories. FYI...I recently had the Camacho Triple Maduro, GREAT cigar. The robusto is about a 2 hour smoke. Since you haven't smoked that many cigars, I would recommend not smoking this one on an empty stomach.

"Long ashes my friends."

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Eagleman:
    I love the "proper" Cubans like Partagas (my favourite) but, to tell the truth, all mainline Cubans are pretty too damn expensive for me (especially over here in England) and I tend to go for cheaper.
    Partagas is one of my Favorite Cuban cigars. Cuabo (or was it Cuaba) is also great in my opinion. The cigar.com brazilian is excellent. The Man O' War is just ok for me.

BTW, I love women with British accents. If I would get a job in England, I would do so in a second!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • EaglemanEagleman Posts: 3
    Thanks very much all for the welcome. It is most welcome!

Well, that's two (at least) for me to try - the 5 Vegas and the Camacho Triple Maduro. That Camacho sounds like one mighty smoke! What's the considered Board view on the Gurkha line of cigars?