Home General Discussion
Options

new to cigars

As I said im new to cigars and I want to try a sampler pack and im not sure what to get I love a good tasting cigar but all I have had is the cheap ones from the convenience store like backwoods swisher sweets garcia y vega,Stuff like that I was wondering if anyone could recommend a fairly cheap sampler pack.I also want to know if I need to get a humidor because I probably wont have a great number of cigars at once.Thanks in advance David

Comments

• Options
    brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    If you are looking to get an idea what you like and are on a budget I'd pick up one of the Cigar.com House samplers. You'll get a decent variety of great sticks for a nice price. Until you find what you like stick to buying samplers or a fewer sticks at a time. Don't jump in and buy a box until you know for sure what you like.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Well, the daily deals on here are pretty good, but if you want a good sampler, you can check the sampler portion of the site or just order the cigar.com sampler with house blends. It gives you a good idea of what different blends bring. A lot of people here will say they are well made and a good product. I will also agree.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Also, be sure to take your time smoking cigars, the other one's you've been smoking you can get away with it, but with real cigars you need to take your time, otherwise you'll get harshness and a burning taste. Be sure to let us know what you get, and welcome.
  • Options
    4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    I wouldn't get a humidor to start. If you're not going to have any more than say 5 sticks at a time you can get a humidi-bag which is essentially a ziploc bag with a humidification pillow in it for like 6 dollars to keep your cigars fresh.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the board and cigars. One of the samplers to check out is the 90+ rated sampler with jar humidor. It has lots of good quality sticks that cover a range of flavors and the jar makes a decent beginner humidor until you know you want something more substantial.
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If we're talking samplers, the one higgs mentioned is good. This one is also good, Link!
  • Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    Everytime I see that jar I cringe. I'm not sure about this, but it seems to me that the light from the clear jar would damage your stock. I guess you could just keep it in a closet/drawer, but that seems like a let down. What do y'all think?
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    ive never heard any where that light would damage a cigar, unless we are talking about direct sunlight, but thats a different story all together.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    They do make humidors with glass tops....I'm just sayin'....I have one...
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I would check out one of these two: http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=SP-CIGTP13 or http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=SP-CIGTP14 And just keep them in the ccom bag they come in.
  • Options
    Thanks alot fo your anwsers guy's but I think im going to build a humidor first as i would like to get maybe a couple samplers.My question is is it better to buy one or could i build one just as easily.Thanks David
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    ventureman:
    Thanks alot fo your anwsers guy's but I think im going to build a humidor first as i would like to get maybe a couple samplers.My question is is it better to buy one or could i build one just as easily.Thanks David
    If you are good at building things then go ahead and make one. I know that some people on here have made their own. They can offer suggestions. For the sake or time and sanity I would buy one myself. I am not good wth building things and I have no patience with certain things.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    ventureman:
    If you are good at building things then go ahead and make one. I know that some people on here have made their own. They can offer suggestions. For the sake or time and sanity I would buy one myself. I am not good wth building things and I have no patience with certain things.
    That's what I'm thinking. If you're up to it go for it. For just starting out I'd spend just a few dollars and get a small 60 count or something maybe.
  • Options
    Well ive changed my mind again..lol....Im just going to buy a humidor since all the components are quite expensive to build one,Im hoping yall can tell me what to look for in a humidor im probably going to get one off ebay I just found this onehttp://cgi.ebay.com/WOOD-CIGAR-TOBACCO-HUMIDOR_W0QQitemZ250459104400QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a5086a490&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A50 but im not sure how many it will hold the price is right though I will continue my search though thanks for all your replies so far.David
  • Options
    Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭

ventureman:
    Well ive changed my mind again..lol....Im just going to buy a humidor since all the components are quite expensive to build one,Im hoping yall can tell me what to look for in a humidor im probably going to get one off ebay I just found this onehttp://cgi.ebay.com/WOOD-CIGAR-TOBACCO-HUMIDOR_W0QQitemZ250459104400QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a5086a490&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A50 but im not sure how many it will hold the price is right though I will continue my search though thanks for all your replies so far.David

if you like cigars then that humidor will become very small very fast:p

• Options
    That one looks pretty small, I bet twenty or so would fit in there. I bought my main humidor because even though I'm a finish carpenter for a living I couldn't get all the raw materials for the price of one already completed. I searched around and got a cherry 100 count with hygrometer, humidifier, quadrant hinges, lock, lined with spanish cedar for $36. You could never build one that cheap even without labor included. I would like to build a nice bulk storage/aging humidor someday but who knows when that will be.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    If you want a small one, do a google search for "Capri" - it's a small humidor (supposedly holds 50, but mine only holds about 30), and it goes for about $20. If bigharpoon would be willing to post a link to that 100-count for $36, I'd jump on it *hint-hint - where'd you find that sucker?*
  • Options
    xmacro:
    If bigharpoon would be willing to post a link to that 100-count for $36, I'd jump on it *hint-hint - where'd you find that sucker?*
    Yea that would be awesome.
  • Options
    Edit nevermind he has already sold it.:Just found this on craigslist all the cabinets ive seen like this have been really expensive so this seems like a great dealhttp://atlanta.craigslist.org/hsh/1260034532.html but I was hoping someone could let me know and I will contact this guy later Thanks
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    you can try www.cheaphumidors.com. They sell imperfects too, little comestic blemishes, but they still work fine. You could get yourself a decent sized humi and save a few bucks.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    chuck86chuck86 Posts: 18
    If i'm wrong let me know, but to me it sounds like you've never smoked a "real" cigar before. And if thats true than that humidor is far to big for you. I recomend getting a small 20 or 30 count humidor, because at this point you don't even know if you really like cigars or if it will be a long time thing. So try out a cheap 20 count and if you find that you hate cigars than no huge loss, but if you find that you love cigars than you can upgrade to a bigger humidor. That is just my sudgestion. Oh and welcome to the beautiful world of cigars.
  • Options
    And someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't you want to keep a humidor at least 50 % full to help with humidity swings. Unless you're planning on buying hundreds of cigars to start I'd avoid that one on CL.
  • Options
    Ok heres an update I just said screw the humidor and bought the daily deal,Which is rocky patel vintage 1992 toro.Just thought I would let everyone know,I know everyone on here(Well mostly)likes pictures so when I receive will I post if anyone wants.  
  • Options
    I know it's a bit late, but that humidor was a good deal, assuming it was still in decent condition. Just get a little travel humidor (about $15) to store the cigars in. Remember that cigars typically need 1-2 weeks in a humidor after being shipped for them to taste right - smoking them before then is pretty nasty
  • Options
    bibbybibby Posts: 152
    Ventureman and xmacro,

Again this might be a bit late, but check your inbox I have sent both of you a link to a site offering a 100 ct humidor with lock for $36. Worth a look for sure before you decide on anything else.

Rob
  • Options
    xmacro:
    Remember that cigars typically need 1-2 weeks in a humidor after being shipped for them to taste right - smoking them before then is pretty nasty
    I respectfully disagree. Some cigars are downright nasty straight from the mailbox, but I've had more than a few that were very good. Luck of the draw at best, but I don't feel that what you said holds true for all cigars. Though with the Vintage 1992...I'd agree that it would be nasty right out of the mail...then again, I think they are pretty bad regardless, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :)
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    xmacro:
    Remember that cigars typically need 1-2 weeks in a humidor after being shipped for them to taste right - smoking them before then is pretty nasty
    I respectfully disagree. Some cigars are downright nasty straight from the mailbox, but I've had more than a few that were very good. Luck of the draw at best, but I don't feel that what you said holds true for all cigars. Though with the Vintage 1992...I'd agree that it would be nasty right out of the mail...then again, I think they are pretty bad regardless, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :)
    Well, I gotta respectfully disagree with you :) In my experience, I've never had a good cigar out of the mail; after 4 days they're tolerable, but after a week or so, they're nice and smooth.

Also, I live near Tampa Florida, so when my smokes come in, it's about 80-90F outside and probably even worse in the UPS truck
  • Options
    Well, with the humidity you get in Florida, that's not surprising. We get the heat here in So. Cal, but where I live it's a very dry heat. That probably explains the difference in our perceptions of "fresh off the truck" cigars.
  • Options
    Hey, sorry to be so late with the follow-up to the humidor I mentioned that the link to was requested. Here it is: http://www.premiumhumidors.com/shop/humidors/imperfect-humidors/the-keeper-cherry-imperfect-humidor-3.html

I know this site has got some negative feedback but it seems a little unfounded as the positve feedback continues to roll in. The "imperfection" I had to search for and finally concluded it must be the tiny little wood knot visible only from the interior at the bottom which gets completely covered by the cigars anyway. I guess some people want to have completely clear wood no matter what.

I can tell you there is no way I could make this thing for $36 (labor not included). And the label "only 1 left" seems to always be there.