Home Cigar 101
Options

Buying a humi / building

StsepasStsepas Posts: 475
I have a carpenter friend of mine willing to custom make a humidor. He says he's done them before. Has anyone gone this route if so there pros and cons please

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Not sure what you're asking. A humidor is just a box lined on the inside with spanish cedar - it's a pretty simple thing for anyone to make, but the sides and lid need to be tight.

A guy named Waxing Moon used to come around this forum and show off his latest humi; things were beautiful. Made with cherrywood, ebony, etc - tons of exotic woods. Just beautiful humis.

EDIT: Ha, guess he's still going at it, just not posting anymore. If you wanna see what a beautiful wood humidor can look like, peruse this site for a bit: http://www.waxingmoonhumidors.com

EDIT 2: Prons and cons of a wood humi are pretty universal, assuming it's well made and everythings tight; the key is to make sure the sides are tight and the lid, if dropped, doesn't smash, but lets out a little "whoosh" - anything less and it's just a wooden box, good for storing trinkets or kindling for a fire
  • Options
    StsepasStsepas Posts: 475
    Xmarco thanks for the link. I checked it out. I do striping on the side so I want something I can customize with some scroll work ect …
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I was going to make one before I bought mine, but the price and time would be more than what I bought mine for. So I decided to buy one.