Home Cigar 101

Chisel question

StsepasStsepas Posts: 475
When smoking a chisel tip what's the best method to cut. Also dous the chisel give a better, or different flavor profile. Thx for the help!!!

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I don't cut them. I just pinch them open. I feel like the chisel let's me point the smoke into my mouth exactly where I want it, and I like that.

I've seen where guys punch a hole above tip, about a half inch or so perpendicular to the cigar, and then pinch the tip open as well. I've done that too, but you have to have a sharp punch. The smoke comes into your mouth at different angles, it's kinda neat.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i just pinch them open. the punch method seems to be popular.
    when you do that the smoke is less direct on the tongue so you wont burn out your palate as fast
  • StsepasStsepas Posts: 475
    Russ thx for the info I'd been looking to try the lfd airbender w the chisel tip but didn't know how to go about it. Did u notice a different flavor profile. I like the LFD DL 700
    Thanks kuzi
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    pinch works well.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Stsepas:
    Russ thx for the info I'd been looking to try the lfd airbender w the chisel tip but didn't know how to go about it. Did u notice a different flavor profile. I like the LFD DL 700
    Sure thing. If I'm not mistaken, the airbender chisel vitola has a slightly different wrapper than the other sizes. I have, and buy, boxes of both, but I haven't done side by side comparisons to see if I noticed a difference. I like most of the vitolas, but the chisel is probably my favorite.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Russ55:
    Stsepas:
    Sure thing. If I'm not mistaken, the airbender chisel vitola has a slightly different wrapper than the other sizes. I have, and buy, boxes of both, but I haven't done side by side comparisons to see if I noticed a difference. I like most of the vitolas, but the chisel is probably my favorite.
    the air bender chisel has a similar tobacco to the rest of the line. a higher priming is used. this makes it a touch stronger and a bit more flavorful. i actually prefer the chisel to the rest of the line but the rest of the line is still fantastic.
    Thanks again I'll have to give 1 a shot
    Thx again since I've been smoking the DL 700. I'm gonna have to get a couple chisled and give em a try
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    According to a friend in the biz, Lito showed him this as his recommendation. you punch both ends of the tip to complete a hole through it. The smoke sits right on your palette, and it is a fantastic experience. You have to hold your thumb underneath it to provide support or the punch while you do it. image
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    That is just so wrong. LOL
    Thx again since I've been smoking the DL 700. I'm gonna have to get a couple chisled and give em a try
    beatnic:
    wait till you try it, the draw is fantastic. You have to be careful honestly, and cut close to the tip. Otherwise it will choke you a bit. The way the smoke sits on yor palette is totally different.
  • ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    The one chisel I've had I punched this way and it was a totally different experience.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    beatnic:
    wait till you try it, the draw is fantastic. You have to be careful honestly, and cut close to the tip. Otherwise it will choke you a bit. The way the smoke sits on yor palette is totally different.
    I wonder, maybe doing this with any cigar would be interesting? Maybe all these years we have all been smoking cigars wrong!
    phobicsquirrel:
    catfishbluezz:
    beatnic:
    I wonder, maybe doing this with any cigar would be interesting? Maybe all these years we have all been smoking cigars wrong!
    i would think it would be nearly impossible due to the RG width. The chisel being flat provides the platform, and punches don't cut deep. You have to cut each side of the tip and drill your way through it.
  • nickiamnickiam Posts: 608 ✭✭
    i am a big fan of punching through the chisel tip. completely changed my enjoyment of the air bender chisel
    Thx guys for the insight. Went to the b&m a little while ago and got a double Ligero chisel tip and had the tabs consist punch it for me so I didn't screw it up.
    it was very different to what I've experienced with the DL700.
    I also got a DL700 to have in a little while for a side by side comparison.
    I have realized in the past few days that there's quite a difference with the DL 700 when you use a giultine compared to a V cut (wedge cut)
  • FNAWriteFNAWrite Posts: 7
    "The smoke sits right on your palette,"

Where is your "palette" located?
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FNAWrite:
    "The smoke sits right on your palette," Where is your "palette" located?
    On your thumb, thilly.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

So I just smoked the LFD DL-700 to have a comparison.
    The punch on the chisel does make quite a difference when comparison. Thanks for the insight.