Home Cigar 101
Options

Recommendations For Dry, High Altitude Storage

Hello, everyone. I'm getting back into storing cigars versus buying one at a time. I have a 120 count humidor on the way. I just moved to Estes Park, CO at an elevation of 8000 feet, and it's typically dry up here. The altitude is new to me and I'm looking for recommendations on keeping the humidity level prime. Should I use beads? Should I opt for 70% vs 65%? To tell you the truth, I'm not even sure if I'm asking all of the right questions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    If you're in a very dry or very wet environment, you usually want beads that will compensate. 65% work for most people, but for those in dry environments, typically the desert, 70% are what gets recommended to most.

As always, YMMV

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually live in Long,not about 30 min from you. Happy to help and would love to herf. Shoot me a private message,
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Make sure you calibrate your hygrometer. Loads of info on how if you google it.
    You will want to be patient about seasoning your humidor, and in a dry environment you might want to season it up to twice a year. Don't rush the seasoning process, as it is very important to set up the humidor properly to protect your cigars. Again, lots of info on the web and there will likely be instructions that come with the humi.
    Best of luck and have fun with the hobby.....Oh yeah, get a bigger humidor....or a cooler...you will need it, lol ;)