Home General Discussion
Options

dead taste buds...

I was talking to a buddy at work about cigars. He smokes cigarettes and said he never rolls the smoke through his nose. It immediately hit me that is probably the main reason i have a hard time smelling odors and now tasting anything unless its very strong. I knew this fact before but it slipped my mind. Has anyone also noticed there sense of taste/smell diminishing since starting cigars? Also i thought what if this is why the more you get into cigars the stronger of cigar you like. It seems alot of cigar smokers start off mild and gradually go to medium to fuller bodied cigars.most say they dont care for milder sticks bc of lack of flavor and body but could it be you stil would enjoy them if your senses were in check?! Just a thought.

Comments

• Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a clue. But I've always like my coffee black, my scotch over two ice cubes, my chocolate dark, and my cigars dark and full bodied. It seems to have always been that if it has a robust flavor to it then I'm all over it.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive actually noticed an INCREASE in my sence of smell because i pay way more attention to it. if you are putting too much smoke through your nose then you may actually be burning the inside of your nose. this is bad. i go for about 20% of the smoke out through the nose when i do it, and thats usually every third or so puff.
  • Options
    JFJF Posts: 54
    I think it likely depends on how often you have a cigar, and how much smoke you blow through your nose. Of course, if you subject your sense of smell to ultra-powerful and complex odors 5 hours a day, you'll find other smells to be weak and bland (it's not just a matter of "contrast" here - physiological changes occur in your brain to adapt to your "normal" sensory environment). Also, if you're blowing large amounts of smoke through your nose, you may be literally killing the tiny, hair-like nerve cells that do the "sensing" of smell. Small amounts of smoke likely won't hurt - personally, I always blow most of the puff out and reserve a tiny, diffuse cloud in my mouth, sort of "push" upward with my tongue and breathe slowly out with my nose - I find any more than that, and I lose any subtleties.