Home General Discussion
Options

Vacation spot w Cigars & Cigar Learning

Ok,
So heres the question

I want to take a trip this winter to a nice sun and fun resort type place.

BUT - I would also like to:
A) Smoke Cigars
B) Learn about cigars, maybe tour a factory or two

Here the catch! It needs to be friendly to the MRS also as she will be along for the ride.
Im probably looking to take a week somewhere and only have the cigar touring stuff occupy 1 day or so.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Yup. Sounds like a trip to Atlantis/Nassau to me.
  • Options
    brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    My parents took a Caribbean cruise and on one of the stops they took a tour of the La Aurora factory. My parents aren't even cigar smokers and said that was one of the coolest things they did on their trip. At the end of the factory tour they were given a cigar that was rolled in front of them. Sounded pretty cool to me.

They also visited the Graycliff Hotel and said don't waste your time. The hotel is old and dirty. They said the giftshop/cigar shop is tiny and to select cigars you choose what you want from a poster on the wall and they go in the back store room and bring them out. The asked and were told the cigars aren't made there but elsewhere at one of their factories. My parents were pretty disappointed about that one.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    That's BS, I am not gonna buy any cigar that I can't look at our touch before I buy it.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    the drew estate cigar safari in Nicaruaga sounds pretty cool ---along that same line i wonder if Alex is still looking inti the factory tours for ccom members? Alex ???
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    gmill880:
    the drew estate cigar safari in Nicaruaga sounds pretty cool ---along that same line i wonder if Alex is still looking inti the factory tours for ccom members? Alex ???
    Oooh, that sounds like something that'd be fun.. You'd probably have to drag me out, though.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Sounded good until I found out that you couldnt select your cigars.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    damn kuzi, that place is badd-ass
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    This is a good start, but Im thinking of some place that is a resort and it close by some cigar manufacturers and growers of tobacco.
  • Options

I went down to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic last month and took a tour of a cigar factory called Don Lucas Cigars. It was pretty cool, they custom rolled a few cigars for me and let me keep them, showed me the aging room, and talked about all of their tobacco. They also have a gift shop for the Mrs. You can buy some of their cigars as well as others in their gift shop. Check it out. We stayed at a resort called Excellence Punta Cana. Hope this helps.

Supe

• Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Yea, my suggestion would be to find a nice place in the Dominican Republic. Tons of cigar factories, GREAT golf courses, scuba diving, shopping for the Mrs, and a load of other stuff to do. I plan on making a trip to the Dominican one of these days.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Casa De Campo is a excellent resort in the Dominican ...1st class in every aspect and 3 great world class golf course on site for you golfers ( one overlooking the ocean) . Beautiful , I was there 3 years ago and hope to gop back soon ...Also lots of pro sports figures have homes there. I got to see Alex Rodriguez' , Sammy Sosa, Derek Jeter', and some others homes . But the biggest house we saw belonged to the president of the beer company there !!! Beautiful and over looked the ocean from the side of a cliff !!! Wonderful time (sighs longingly) :)