Home Cigar 101

What was your first cigar?

2»

Comments

• perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Swisher Sweets at 12 fishing with a buddy and our dads, don't remember what the first real one I had in college was (judging from the pictures it was a hell of a weekend). First of my return to cigars was an H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 1st was a java Drew Estate, haven't had 1 since. But I did like it then, not sure I would now.
  • Dunn2Dunn2 Posts: 23
    Declaration Iniquity New Year's 2012
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    My first real cigar was a PlayBoy by Don Diego on my 18th birthday in i think a churchill.
  • jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    Good question. My first was Perdomo Lot 23 with a huge ring too! It was a good first smoke.
  • FNAWriteFNAWrite Posts: 7
    As another long time smoker, I'm mildly amused that several first smokes were not available until years after mine. Hell, Rocky Patel and Alan Rubin weren't even born let alone making cigars.

I have no specific recillection. I'm pretty sure the first several I had were cadged from boxes of cheap smokes owned by my dad.

While I smoked a variety of "drug-store" brands, certainly among the first that I bought repeatedly were Marsh-Wheeling Genuine and Original Stogies, selling at .35 in clear plastic square tubes.

Just a few years back I won a box of these machine made homogenized binder smokes at auction for $12.50. From .35 to .50 in over 35 years, not bad.

There's a very good chance my first premium hand made cigar was a Henry Clay, although again, I am not certain.
  • MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    pross:
    Smoked many backwoods in high school.
    Nothing better then Backwoods back in the day catfishing. Helped cover the smell of the stink bait.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FNAWrite:
    As another long time smoker, I'm mildly amused that several first smokes were not available until years after mine. Hell, Rocky Patel and Alan Rubin weren't even born let alone making cigars. I have no specific recillection. I'm pretty sure the first several I had were cadged from boxes of cheap smokes owned by my dad. While I smoked a variety of "drug-store" brands, certainly among the first that I bought repeatedly were Marsh-Wheeling Genuine and Original Stogies, selling at .35 in clear plastic square tubes. Just a few years back I won a box of these machine made homogenized binder smokes at auction for $12.50. From .35 to .50 in over 35 years, not bad. There's a very good chance my first premium hand made cigar was a Henry Clay, although again, I am not certain.
    Marsh Wheeling Mild Stogies! Those were the good cigars that I moved up to after the Swishers. Remained my favorite for a few years.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FNAWrite:
    As another long time smoker, I'm mildly amused that several first smokes were not available until years after mine. Hell, Rocky Patel and Alan Rubin weren't even born let alone making cigars. I have no specific recillection. I'm pretty sure the first several I had were cadged from boxes of cheap smokes owned by my dad. While I smoked a variety of "drug-store" brands, certainly among the first that I bought repeatedly were Marsh-Wheeling Genuine and Original Stogies, selling at .35 in clear plastic square tubes. Just a few years back I won a box of these machine made homogenized binder smokes at auction for $12.50. From .35 to .50 in over 35 years, not bad. There's a very good chance my first premium hand made cigar was a Henry Clay, although again, I am not certain.
    How are those Marsh Wheelings? I've thought of buying some just because they are from my State.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've not had one in many years, like, decades. I've wondered myself. I remember tasting leather, which surprised me. I've gotten at least a little leather from cigars ever since. I've actually looked for 5-packs, in places that I thought might carry them, but have been decidedly unwilling to buy a whole box.
    Interestingly, Mark Twain was fond of Wheeling cigars.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • wardcwardc Posts: 37
    First real stick I ever bought was the Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniversary champagne. I remember walking into a humidor and not having a clue I just picked that one because the band looked cool. lol
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    I think my first stick was a Quorum, was ***, but i also had a Alec Bradly 2nds that same day. First real cigar that i can remember was a Torano Loyal and i bought it because I liked the band.
  • bripperbripper Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Marsh Wheeling Stogie, a long thin dark lancero, at my grandfather's drugstore in Homestead PA in 1962. Loved it. Have not stopped smoking cigars.
  • ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    Either an acid Blondie or a 5 vegas not sure.