Home Non Cigar Related

The Legend.... Tom Watson!

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
I don't know how many of you out there are golf fans. Even if you're not, even if you're just a fan of crowning sports accomplishments, this week was one for the ages. Coming into the British Open in the legendary course at Turnberry in Scotland, most would have guessed that Tiger Woods, Jim Furyk, Angel Cabrera, Stewart Cink, Lee Westwood, and the likes would vie for the championship. And I'm sure that many planned on following the previous champions like Mark Calcavecchia, Ernie Els, John Daly, Greg Norman, Tom Lehman, or Sir Nick Faldo to get a glimpse of once heroic champions in at least one more championship, hoping for one more moment of shear brilliance and utter command of the course. But who would have believed that a man at the age of 59 years and 315 days would walk into an arena filled by the best sportsmen in the world and say to himself "I think I can take this one." This tournament was filled with electricity, excitement, and a feeling that something greater was happening that wasn't just a golf tournament, something "spiritual." If you watched this tournament and didn't find yourself cheering for Tom Watson, then you veins pump something other than warm blood through them. Once again, Tom Watson captivated the world with his superior creativity, his unique humbleness, his love for this great game, and the notion that the aged could still compete with the youthful bodies of todays world tours and the powerful elements that nature could throw his way. This week showed the world why golf is considered a gentleman's game, not because of fancy clubhouses or elite society or politically sociable dignitaries trying to seclude themselves from the rest of humanity. It's a gentleman's game because of true, honorable men like Tom Watson. There may not be many children out there saying to themselves, "I want to be just like Tom Watson when I grow up," but I can tell you with all certainly that there's at least one man here who strives to follow in his footsteps, not as a professional, or a golfer, but as a gentleman and a sportsman.

Comments

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I was saddened by Tom's falling apart at 18, and then the playoff. I was really rooting for him to win at 59. I mean, damn, I'm 42 and he just gives me hope.

But still, at 59 to lead the tourney is one helluva accomplishment even if he didn't win. He was the man to beat.