Home General Discussion
Options

Kid in a Candy Store!!!!

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
Well fellas, today I was travelling between Baltimore and Marine Corp Air Station New River, NC and as I was travelling down I-95 I couldn't help but notice the big billboards that said J*R on them. As I travelled further into North Carolina I saw more and more of them, except this time with www.jrcigar.com on them. I've purchased a few things from JR Cigar before but I never knew where it came from. Boy did I find out. Hugest walk in humidor I've ever seen in my life. Absolutely amazing!!!! I only had a few moments to spend and not much more money. After 30 minutes and $95.00 later I managed to pull myself out with a box of Drew Estates La Vieja Habana, Cuban Corojo (6X60), a box of their house brand that it supposed to be like Hoyo de Monterrey Piramides Torpedos, a few Montecristo Afrique Kilimanjaro ($4.00 ea/not too shabby), and a few Bolivar Churchills, plus a few accessories. I could have spent so much more money in there but I think I did good to get out under $100.00.

Comments

• Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    clearlysuspect:
    Well fellas, today I was travelling between Baltimore and Marine Corp Air Station New River, NC and as I was travelling down I-95 I couldn't help but notice the big billboards that said J*R on them. As I travelled further into North Carolina I saw more and more of them, except this time with www.jrcigar.com on them. I've purchased a few things from JR Cigar before but I never knew where it came from. Boy did I find out. Hugest walk in humidor I've ever seen in my life. Absolutely amazing!!!! I only had a few moments to spend and not much more money. After 30 minutes and $95.00 later I managed to pull myself out with a box of Drew Estates La Vieja Habana, Cuban Corojo (6X60), a box of their house brand that it supposed to be like Hoyo de Monterrey Piramides Torpedos, a few Montecristo Afrique Kilimanjaro ($4.00 ea/not too shabby), and a few Bolivar Churchills, plus a few accessories. I could have spent so much more money in there but I think I did good to get out under $100.00.

Yeah I go to the JR's In Statesville ,NC and it is awsome ...huge cigar selection and nice smoking area
  • Options
    That's kewl. I didn't know there was more than one of them. I thought it was pretty incredible. Also, I smoked one of the JR Cigars that mentioned earlier and it was pretty good. Kinda uneven burn but not to shabby. Also the La Veijo Habana was nice and smooth. I'm looking forward to the Montecristo and the Bolivar tomorrow.
  • Options
    clearlysuspect:
    That's kewl. I didn't know there was more than one of them. I thought it was pretty incredible. Also, I smoked one of the JR Cigars that mentioned earlier and it was pretty good. Kinda uneven burn but not to shabby. Also the La Veijo Habana was nice and smooth. I'm looking forward to the Montecristo and the Bolivar tomorrow.

There are several of the JR's. I really like every Bolivar I have ever had... a good quality smoke. Have not had one in a few months might be time to reload .
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I also had a JR Ulimate cigar, good cigar. I think I had the most even burn EVER on this cigar. Very well made. GREAT smoke and can't beat the price.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I've been to one in NC before. It was back around 1997 - 1998 and I couldn't get a box of Partagas Aristocrat in the JRs by me. They had them and I got my box :-) Big difference in price though between the Jersey JRs and the online and NC stores. NJ tax is a biotch.
  • Options
    Seriously, North Carolina is quickly becoming one of my favorite places. I can't believe the prices of cigars that I'm finding around here. Most of the cigars in the shops are like $2-3 less than cigar.com or jrcigar.com's prices. I'm going nutts and spending way more money than I should be. But how can I pass this up. The wife is definately gonna kill me. Oh well, at least I'll die happy! LOL.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I cannot beleive that Im the 1st one to comment on this.
    J.R is a cigar retailer via direct marketing and online commerce and therefore a competitor of CCom.
    One of Alex's only requests is that we dont discuss CCom competion on this forum.

• Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    J.R is a cigar retailer via direct marketing and online commerce and therefore a competitor of CCom.
    One of Alex's only requests is that we dont discuss CCom competion on this forum.

This is a tough one. I think as a B&M JR is not competition via online but if we say "Oh, I saw blah blah blah at jr.com for $@#@#@ then that is wrong. I happen to go to JRs all the time but I don't buy. I just consider it a B&M that I happen to be able to go to, sit, smoke, drink, eat and hang. I may be wrong though. Sometimes the lines are blurry.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    Fourtotheflush:

This is a tough one. I think as a B&M JR is not competition via online but if we say "Oh, I saw blah blah blah at jr.com for $@#@#@ then that is wrong. I happen to go to JRs all the time but I don't buy. I just consider it a B&M that I happen to be able to go to, sit, smoke, drink, eat and hang. I may be wrong though. Sometimes the lines are blurry.

I agree. If we're just talking about a great place to go and chill and buy cigars its no different than talking about any other B&M. Also most ( a lot) of B&M have their own websites now (just part of doing business in todays world). As long as we are not directing people to their site or saying " hey you can get this product at this price here " I don't think CCOM would have a problem with us just sayin' this is a cool place to check out with a smoking lounge if your in North Carolina...I'm just sayin'...However if the folks at CCOM see it differently I would respect their decision whole heartedly ...
    I also dont think he was talking about buying cigars there in particular as he said the prices he was finding are lower than JR's or CCOM's. I think he is talking about buying cigars in general at B&Ms in North Carolina and their generally lower prices than up North ...
  • Options
    gmill880:
    rwheelwright:
    Fourtotheflush:

I agree. If we're just talking about a great place to go and chill and buy cigars its no different than talking about any other B&M. Also most ( a lot) of B&M have their own websites now (just part of doing business in todays world). As long as we are not directing people to their site or saying " hey you can get this product at this price here " I don't think CCOM would have a problem with us just sayin' this is a cool place to check out with a smoking lounge if your in North Carolina...I'm just sayin'...However if the folks at CCOM see it differently I would respect their decision whole heartedly ...
    I also dont think he was talking about buying cigars there in particular as he said the prices he was finding are lower than JR's or CCOM's. I think he is talking about buying cigars in general at B&Ms in North Carolina and their generally lower prices than up North ...
    Agreed
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    gmill880:
    rwheelwright:
    Fourtotheflush:

Agreed

Not sure I agree.

I would love to see a ccom rep chime in.

In the cigar business JR is one of the 2 ton gorillas, no matter if your talking online, direct marketing or their Humidor.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Yaaaaa----d@mn you for letting us in on a place where we may save some money....lol. I love ccom, but just like a married person-----lookin aint a crime.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    As a rule, I don't put the name of any other establishment that sells the same products as Cigar.com in any of my posts. While it is true I shop at other sites, and other places may have better prices on some items, none have better customer service... If someone asks about a cigar that is unavailable here or I see a unbeatable deal somewhere else that another member may be interested in, I will send them a PM. never using the competitions name in an open forum.. That is just me.
  • Options
    Sorry to create such a stir fellas. I'm not trying to direct anyone to other websites. I am mainly excited about the way cheaper prices of tobacco in general in the state of North Carolina than in Maryland where any cigar I buy is going to cost me at least one to two dollars more per cigar. If that's not enough for you, the cost of cigarettes compares at $3.50 in NC to $7.00 per pack in MD. If I was trying to redirect you to another site I would have hotlinked the freakin website name. Though I am a shameless advertiser if I'm trying to sell something, one should be able to tell by my 43 other posts I've made on here in the last couple weeks that advertisement is not my purpose here.
  • Options
    Last thing I'm saying, and then I'm not reading this thread again. If you're in North Carolina, stop and find a cigar shop.

Peace!
  • Options
    clearlysuspect:
    Sorry to create such a stir fellas. I'm not trying to direct anyone to other websites. I am mainly excited about the way cheaper prices of tobacco in general in the state of North Carolina than in Maryland where any cigar I buy is going to cost me at least one to two dollars more per cigar. If that's not enough for you, the cost of cigarettes compares at $3.50 in NC to $7.00 per pack in MD. If I was trying to redirect you to another site I would have hotlinked the freakin website name. Though I am a shameless advertiser if I'm trying to sell something, one should be able to tell by my 43 other posts I've made on here in the last couple weeks that advertisement is not my purpose here.

Dont sweat it! It happens every month or so.
  • Options
    I have to add something too. Cigar.com can usually match or beat any of the prices that are seen at other sites and B&Ms. There is always the exception but that is with every company in every market. They have always come through for me.
  • Options
    I think you might find some good cigar shops in Havelock, Jacksonville and Morehead City as well. welcome to NC.