Home Cigar 101

Information hungry!!

Rinaldir21Rinaldir21 Posts: 6
I have found that all my free time is being spent on anything that has to do with cigars!  i have read every thread on this site at least once some more than once.  Every time i see a new cigar i want to buy it, witch wouldnt be a problem if i had more money!  Well...what i am looking for is any good books, sites, anything that has any information on anything to do with the cigar world.  i read Kuz's post lastnight "blending 101" and it was great but i found myself wanting to learn more! Thanks again guys.

Ray

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Just hang out a while, Ray, and the information will accumulate. This forum has been a little slow the last several days, as our 2 most frequent and knowledgeable posters -- kuzi and madurofan -- have been away on vacation. Things will pick up again when they return.

What I know about cigars I picked up from experience and, more recently, online. As always, Google is your friend. Another good source is local tobacconists. Cultivate those relationships. (Unless you're in Iraq, of course. I can't remember for sure.)
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    as our 2 most frequent and knowledgeable posters -- kuzi and madurofan --

Thanks, urby. Ray I too have caught the bug that causes you to spend countless hours researching everythign cigars. I'll apologize now though as I've picked up a couple of new hobbies, so some of my cigar time might be cut into.
  • Rinaldir21Rinaldir21 Posts: 6
    HAHA....ill be ok.  I think the problem is that i am in Iraq and if your not working your doing nothing so i do have alot of free time.  i have noticed that a cigar is not only a hobbie that i can indulge in while over here but it helps take the mind off all the bullshit also.  I too have other hobbies just not as easy to persue over here.  Well dont worry about me Google is a big surch engine and i only have roughly 6 months left so ill be ok.  Thnks again guys

Ray

Oh yes and i smoked my first RP sun grown last night...GREAT!  Now i see battle between Gurkha and RP but i am goin to have to have a few more RPs before i make that decision, lol.
  • tandblovtandblov Posts: 1
    It gets better...
    Well Rinaldir, first thanks for what you're doing for this country. Second, google is a great tool I don't know how we survived before it. Finally may I suggest your next RP be either a Nicarao or a Nording. They don't say that they are RP's but they are.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Oh no maddy, now I have to get some.. just for comparison sake you know.. Are these actually a Patel Blend / creation or something rolled in a Patel Facility?
    madurofan:
    I'll apologize now though as I've picked up a couple of new hobbies, so some of my cigar time might be cut into.
    Say it ain't so! Don't let beer lure you away, that ****. Cigars have given you the best years of their lives.
    kaspera79:
    Oh no maddy, now I have to get some.. just for comparison sake you know.. Are these actually a Patel Blend / creation or something rolled in a Patel Facility?
    I'm not completely sure about their origins but I'll look it up. I do know the Nicarao is a Nicaraguan puro. I also know that Patel doesn't have his own facilities, he works with factories like AJ Fernandez's in Nicaragua and another in Honduras of which he has an entire factory dedicated to him, though the owner has other buildings on the same compound that roll other brands.
    Beer has always had my heart. Cigars have had my mind for a while now but beer is my first love. Don't worry beer won't cut into my forum time, though, as to be perfectly honest I'm a beer snob and don't really have as much an interest in talking to people about beer as I do cigars.
    madurofan:
    Don't worry beer won't cut into my forum time
    You'll just be drunker when you post. :)
    drunker ... haha
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Rinaldir21:
    I read Kuz's post lastnight "blending 101" and it was great but i found myself wanting to learn more!
    just ask. i love questions.

...and make em hard. i wanna think. make me work for it!!!
  • NintenNinten Posts: 2
    If you haven't already, go to Cigar Aficianado's website, click on "cigar stars" and read through the interviews that they have posted.  Lots of interviews with top blenders and CEO's of the various cigar manufacturers.